Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Listened to all four interviews at the presser yesterday....

- lots of talk of the off-season strength and conditioning program. Seemed to imply that lack thereof caused many lost puck battles and the lack of second chances last year. (Souza himself looks like he spends a decent amount of time in the gym)
    - ton of reference to team speed being a huge asset. Hope it gets paired with increased skill levels this year
    - Grasso. Is one composed kid. Impressive.
    - all seemed very bullish in blue liners, (no surprise there). Hard not to feel good about that core group of guys providing a nice anchor for the team. Now if we can just get better at transitions than we were last year.
    - Souza is obviously excited at the addition of Conklin and what his contribution has been, even in a volunteer role

I realize that the tone at these is, by definition, going to be positive. That stated, I’m excited to see how this team progresses, and frankly, strong game-over-game progression seems to be exactly what Souza is demanding. I think that’s the right tone in a rebuild, as opposed to setting unrealistic goals.
    Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      Is there a link to this somewhere? I don't usually put a lot of faith in these things, but they are at least interesting as grist for the mill to generate some discussion on here.
      Link to HEA writers poll posted on several other team threads; I do not know how to copy and paste using iPhone. I might as well be living in the 1900's. Meanwhile, posted on the UML thread is a listing of the number of games to be played on NESN by HEA teams, with UNH tied with NU at 13, only behind UMass-Flagship and BC. Wonder if that will cut into attendance at the Whitt?

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        Link to HEA writers poll posted on several other team threads; I do not know how to copy and paste using iPhone. I might as well be living in the 1900's. Meanwhile, posted on the UML thread is a listing of the number of games to be played on NESN by HEA teams, with UNH tied with NU at 13, only behind UMass-Flagship and BC. Wonder if that will cut into attendance at the Whitt?
        It's finally up on the USCHO home page as of late yesterday. Thanks for the sneak peek, Snives!

My first reactions to the poll … I suspect UMass will drop back to the middle of the pack this year after heavy losses to their best players, and I suspect Northeastern will be a Top Two finisher this season. Not sure about BC (1) and PC's (3) ranks, but it's fair to have them in or around the top tier.

UNH at #7 is interesting, as MS7 seems to have convinced his coaching peers that last year wasn't a mirage - the coaches can be late to the game sometimes (and TBF, I was a doubting Thomas about UMass) - and I'm thinking that a finish in the 5-7 range is probably reasonable to expect. Below that would be disappointing, and above that would be further evidence the new guy has things on the right track. Most on here didn't think Gildon would be back, yet he is, and as promising as he's shown over these last two seasons, I suspect this year is going to be his breakout year, where he begins to put it all together. In fact, the entire back end - a more experienced D-crew, a reliable Robinson, and with Taylor bound to improve from last season's frosh dud - the question would seem to be, can the UNH forwards generate enough offense to push the team further up the competitive pyramid?

I'm going to crawl out on a precarious limb here and predict UNH will:

(1) Finish at #4 in the regular season;
        (2) Advance to the Garden for the HE Tourney, but
        (3) Lose out on an NCAA bid narrowly by not advancing to the HE Finals

If ANY of that happens, it will be terrific progress. ALL of it … a great season, and COTY for MS7.

WIS goes the wide-eyed, fan-boy optimist route this season. Have at it, folks!!
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          Snively I only count 12 games but could be wrong. 3 womens games too. By my count only 3 away games - ME (the Saturday game), PC (the Friday game) and UConn (a Saturday game). 9 home games that in my mind do nothing to improve attendance! If you have 2/3 kids and you can watch from home on a cold night, no brainer if you are not an addict. On the other side of this, I will hope that this much availability will build the fan base and perhaps encourage more Whitt attendance as we demonstrate it is worth the $ and ride in.
          And for Chuck, I agree and the "do we have a couple of go to guys" this year being the key.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            It's finally up on the USCHO home page as of late yesterday. Thanks for the sneak peek, Snives!

My first reactions to the poll … I suspect UMass will drop back to the middle of the pack this year after heavy losses to their best players, and I suspect Northeastern will be a Top Two finisher this season. Not sure about BC (1) and PC's (3) ranks, but it's fair to have them in or around the top tier.

UNH at #7 is interesting, as MS7 seems to have convinced his coaching peers that last year wasn't a mirage - the coaches can be late to the game sometimes (and TBF, I was a doubting Thomas about UMass) - and I'm thinking that a finish in the 5-7 range is probably reasonable to expect. Below that would be disappointing, and above that would be further evidence the new guy has things on the right track. Most on here didn't think Gildon would be back, yet he is, and as promising as he's shown over these last two seasons, I suspect this year is going to be his breakout year, where he begins to put it all together. In fact, the entire back end - a more experienced D-crew, a reliable Robinson, and with Taylor bound to improve from last season's frosh dud - the question would seem to be, can the UNH forwards generate enough offense to push the team further up the competitive pyramid?

I'm going to crawl out on a precarious limb here and predict UNH will:

(1) Finish at #4 in the regular season;
            (2) Advance to the Garden for the HE Tourney, but
            (3) Lose out on an NCAA bid narrowly by not advancing to the HE Finals

If ANY of that happens, it will be terrific progress. ALL of it … a great season, and COTY for MS7.

WIS goes the wide-eyed, fan-boy optimist route this season. Have at it, folks!!
            Viewing from afar in the (UN)United Kingdom as we speak! Glad to see your optimism Chuck.

A garden party would be fun this season!
            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Well, there you have it: Chuck, "the wide-eyed, fan-boy optimist" is predicting 4th in HEA for our Cats. Earlier, I predicted 6th and HR 5th, I think. Who else wants to enter this pool?
              Last edited by Snively65; 09-28-2019, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                Well, there you have it: Chuck, "the wife-eyed, fan-boy optimist" is predicting 4th in HEA for our Cats. Earlier, I predicted 6th and HR 5th, I think. Who else wants to enter this pool?
                I'll go with anywhere from 3 to 6!

Comment

That's pretty cool! Am at the Brui s last pre season game and I see Jake.Rycek out there for the BHawks. A few NU players too. Kind of bummed they didnt bring Kane or Toews...Anyhoo awesome to be at a hockey game st long last!!!
                  I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Well, there you have it: Chuck, "the wife-eyed, fan-boy optimist" is predicting 4th in HEA for our Cats. Earlier, I predicted 6th and HR 5th, I think. Who else wants to enter this pool?
                    I'm in.

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                      I'll go with anywhere from 3 to 6!
                      For this poll, ya gotta pick one place, e.cat. :-)

Comment

Hey gang just picked up a new 'cruit from across the pond but I'll let CHC announce!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          Hey gang just picked up a new 'cruit from across the pond but I'll let CHC announce!
                          Maybe a Finn? :-)

Comment

Well, there you have it: Chuck, "the wide-eyed, fan-boy optimist" is predicting 4th in HEA for our Cats. Earlier, I predicted 6th and HR 5th, I think. Who else wants to enter this pool?
                            Can’t doubt my muse, HR. 5th.
                            Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

If you insist. 5th. Cheers;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                                If you insist. 5th. Cheers;-)
                                That makes three for fifth, one for fourth, and one for sixth. Fans here bullish on Cats this coming season. :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X