This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020: Nordic Combined

I wonder what Smith's plans are for Calvaruso.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
      I don't see any reason to play Marshall at all, especially after long rest.
      There will be a time when Marshall puts it all together and is a very good goalie. not sure when and not sure why it has just not happened as yet. he has a lot of talent. But right now, Savory has to play until and unless he shows that he cannot keep the job. he just exudes confidence and control of the puck and he seems to be the more mobile tender. it will help a lot as the young defense matures and adjusts to the NCAA Division I level. If they can keep the pressure off, the crease clear, and tend to the rebounds, his job becomes infinitely easier. The communication between the defensive pairs and the goalie is paramount and takes some time to develop. If this happens, we will really have something to be talking about.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
        Baby steps Doc.
        Just my opinion, as usual, but i would like to see 2 ten goal scorers on this team rather than one twenty goal scorer (or multiples thereof). We have not had much offense in the past few years to spread around and when we have had a scorer he has been rather alone on the score sheet and when the chips were down, the opposition could focus on him and shut us down. I do not expect to see the second coming of Frank Chiarelli or Abbie Moore in modern day college hockey. But in the distant past we used to have offense coming from many places with 4-6 or even more players in the low double digits in goals. I do think that sort of thing is not only possible, but that it would be very successful.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
          There will be a time when Marshall puts it all together and is a very good goalie. not sure when and not sure why it has just not happened as yet. he has a lot of talent. But right now, Savory has to play until and unless he shows that he cannot keep the job. he just exudes confidence and control of the puck and he seems to be the more mobile tender. it will help a lot as the young defense matures and adjusts to the NCAA Division I level. If they can keep the pressure off, the crease clear, and tend to the rebounds, his job becomes infinitely easier. The communication between the defensive pairs and the goalie is paramount and takes some time to develop. If this happens, we will really have something to be talking about.
          Sort of like Scott Prekaski and Joel Laing. Joel was recruited to be Prekaski’s backup but Laing took the bull by the horns and we all know how that turned out.
          Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

does the transfer coming in have a shot to start?

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
              Sort of like Scott Prekaski and Joel Laing. Joel was recruited to be Prekaski’s backup but Laing took the bull by the horns and we all know how that turned out.
              I would say this statement is inaccurate. Are you basing that on the fact that Prekaski committed first?
              I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                Just my opinion, as usual, but i would like to see 2 ten goal scorers on this team rather than one twenty goal scorer (or multiples thereof). We have not had much offense in the past few years to spread around and when we have had a scorer he has been rather alone on the score sheet and when the chips were down, the opposition could focus on him and shut us down. I do not expect to see the second coming of Frank Chiarelli or Abbie Moore in modern day college hockey. But in the distant past we used to have offense coming from many places with 4-6 or even more players in the low double digits in goals. I do think that sort of thing is not only possible, but that it would be very successful.
                Doc, I agree with your opinion, but if Zieky is the real thing, I can see him scoring 20 and one or two others reaching 10.
                I agree, that if we only have one scorer, then the other teams will concentrate on stopping him and we will be shut down. But I do think that we have a couple of guys (Reilly, Burgess and maybe even Polino) who can give the other teams something to think about.
                Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                Benjamin Franklin
                The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                  Doc, I agree with your opinion, but if Zieky is the real thing, I can see him scoring 20 and one or two others reaching 10.
                  I agree, that if we only have one scorer, then the other teams will concentrate on stopping him and we will be shut down. But I do think that we have a couple of guys (Reilly, Burgess and maybe even Polino) who can give the other teams something to think about.
                  Whose to say that Polino isn't your 20 goal scorer? Now in his first two years at RPI he didn't score but that could have been a function of who he was playing with. Last year he had 7 goals in 20 games. In the 4 games he played after he returned from his shoulder injury he did not score but with the type of injury he had one wouldn't have expected him too and from what I heard the medical staff reluctantly cleared him to play. If he had stayed healthy its reasonable to think he may have hit 15 goals? I think that's reasonable to think. Based on the run rate that he is on now he could very well hit 20 as could, Zieky, Reilly and Burgess. Is it likely that all four come that close? Probably not but it is possible. I think it is reasonable to think that each one of these players does go over the 10 goal mark and I won't be surprised to see two get over 15 at least one getting to 20. Call me optimistic but I have a feeling that scoring goals this year will not be our problem.

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                    I would say this statement is inaccurate. Are you basing that on the fact that Prekaski committed first?
                    It is my recollection also that Prekaski was recruited first and was supposed to be #1. The spot for another goalie (Laing) only opened when Masotta left. So, as much as I don't trust tall people, I agree with Jericho.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Last edited by Ralph Baer; 10-31-2019, 12:46 PM.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

This should be on a plaque on the front of HFH. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonMike View Post
                          This should be on a plaque on the front of HFH. Seriously.
                          One can see why Mike Sadeghpour was picked as the captain of the 1985 team.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Utica College thinks that we are a High School. https://ucpioneers.com/sports/mens-i...novan-ott/8861
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                              Agree. Savory was a key piece of the improvement last year, and I would bet he'd be the primary goaltender, especially for the ECAC schedule. Aside from a technical appraisal of the goaltending, the main reason why Marshall is #2, and the reason why Marshall himself supplanted Perry the prior year (aside from injury), is that RPI was giving up far too many soft goals from distance and low-probability angles. Every goaltender will let in a soft one now and then, but it was happening too often and hurting momentum and morale within games. Savory's play has made this less of a worry.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                It is my recollection also that Prekaski was recruited first and was supposed to be #1. The spot for another goalie (Laing) only opened when Masotta left. So, as much as I don't trust tall people, I agree with Jericho.
                                Just because he was recruited first does not mean he's a #1, or just because he is even recruited doesn't mean he was/is a #1. Look how Alford turned out. Typical follower Ralph.
                                I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Working...
                                X