Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SLU Skating Saints Hockey '18-'19

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    Coaches convention was May 1-4. If they in fact held interviews there , then you might have some news soon. ...or not. 😝
    I would guess, students leave campus soon. So be nice for new coach to meet his team while they are still in the 13617!

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatcard View Post
      I would guess, students leave campus soon. So be nice for new coach to meet his team while they are still in the 13617!
      You may have a standoff here between the administration wanting to run all the sports offerings the same and the need for D1 exceptions.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        You may have a standoff here between the administration wanting to run all the sports offerings the same and the need for D1 exceptions.
        ? Please explain what you mean. Thanking you in advance.

Comment

? Please explain what you mean. Thanking you in advance.
          You have a whole bunch of D3 sports (including football) and 2 D1 teams. D3, even at the NCAA level, operate with a different philosophy than D1.

If you try to run hockey with the same philosophy as squash, you'll be squished.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

You have a whole bunch of D3 sports (including football) and 2 D1 teams. D3, even at the NCAA level, operate with a different philosophy than D1.

If you try to run hockey with the same philosophy as squash, you'll be squished.
            Thank you! Its sad but I agree with you. What I find odd is on RT 11 the two Head Coaching jobs are the biggest jobs at each University outside the President. Why not hire a search firm that are experts, not a person who has many other things on the plate and this search is one slice of the pie. Think of the Time, Money, and Embarrassment it would save the University.

Nothing like for the team to meet the new coach in August when they return for fall term for the first time face to face.

Comment

Now for a sore subject to many Saints fans.

Appleton

It's beautiful and quaint. But is it up to modern D1 standards? In the early 90s we were losing recruiting battles to schools with nicer facilities than Walker.

I love Walker. I spent many a freezing night cheering for Tech. But it is/was no longer a modern D1 rink.

Cheel is, even before the upgrades.

It's too late for SLU, but even Fenway Park will eventually face the wreckers ball.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Now for a sore subject to many Saints fans.

Appleton

It's beautiful and quaint. But is it up to modern D1 standards? In the early 90s we were losing recruiting battles to schools with nicer facilities than Walker.

I love Walker. I spent many a freezing night cheering for Tech. But it is/was no longer a modern D1 rink.

Cheel is, even before the upgrades.

It's too late for SLU, but even Fenway Park will eventually face the wreckers ball.
                Carvel was winning those recruit battles. The facility is only a single factor.

With the revamp underway, there is even less of a snowballs chance in Florida that a new rink is on the radar. Until these renovations are completed, and a new coach in place, and a few years to let things play out, it's impossible to say if it will be a stumbling block or if it will polish the gem.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                  Carvel was winning those recruit battles. The facility is only a single factor.

With the revamp underway, there is even less of a snowballs chance in Florida that a new rink is on the radar. Until these renovations are completed, and a new coach in place, and a few years to let things play out, it's impossible to say if it will be a stumbling block or if it will polish the gem.
                  A stand alone for D1 players only Work out room? Training room? Shooting Room? Cafeteria? A full time Strength Coach? Nutritionist? a part time sports psychologist? goalie coach? That is what the kids are looking for. I bet SLU has none or none in the works. Hopefully I'm wrong. But that is what most D1 teams have. Even Tech has most (No cafeteria or Nutritionist Yet) These recruits are coming from Junior teams that have a majority of this, so going to Canton is almost a step back in time.

Comment

...so going to Canton is almost a step back in time.
                    And there's nothing wrong with that! Canton and Potsdam have a charm not found in major metropolitan areas. I'd send my grandkids to either town
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

And there's nothing wrong with that! Canton and Potsdam have a charm not found in major metropolitan areas. I'd send my grandkids to either town
                      Pretty sure wildcatcard is referring to the athletic facilities, budget, overall athletic infrastructure, etc at the school. Though for some potential coaches with a young family (Canton public schools - not great), or coming from a more urban or suburban area - moving to Canton is a factor, and not always in the "pro" column.....

Comment

I was speaking of the Athletic Complex only and what the School offers. Nothing to do with Canton "proper"

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatcard View Post
                          Why not hire a search firm that are experts, not a person who has many other things on the plate and this search is one slice of the pie.
                          They have ... the name of the firm is S & S Co. Inc.!
                          I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                            They have ... the name of the firm is S & S Co. Inc.!
                            REally, my bad have never seen anything that they have one. Thats great news. by chance you have a website of the firm? quick google search didn't come up with much. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatcard View Post
                              REally, my bad have never seen anything that they have one. Thats great news. by chance you have a website of the firm? quick google search didn't come up with much. Thanks for the info.
                              I'm fairly sure this a joke. Surprised he didn't make it more obvious with "Parker Executive Search", who now has "experience" because they found RPI's coach, which was their first venture into hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                I'm fairly sure this a joke.
                                Why don't you stick with the rebuilding of your hockey program at RPI ... you have no clue. But here's a clue to the SLU that matter ... the S & S refer to their most prominent alumni currently involved in pro hockey. They are leading the search.
                                I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Working...
                                X