Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Hockey 2019-2020- a big fresh start, again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    BTN. That's what is driving it.

The scheduling makes no sense- there's really no reason at all to have hockey play State the same weekend as the football team does. Given the crowd that is expected, we could easily have an away weekend, and play State some other weekend.
    I feel that scheduling of this series has been unfortunate for a while now. Multiple times it has been during some sort of school break which is unthinkable to me. You’re really gonna schedule our big rivalry game for the one of the only weekends where the band and students are out of town? Stupid.

Comment

Re: Michigan Hockey 2019-2020- a big fresh start, again.

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
      I feel that scheduling of this series has been unfortunate for a while now. Multiple times it has been during some sort of school break which is unthinkable to me. You’re really gonna schedule our big rivalry game for the one of the only weekends where the band and students are out of town? Stupid.
      Even worse is that its SO easy for fans to cross over. For a nominal game, it's pretty easy to make it between the two cities, if you want. These game are the best if Munn and Yost are 100% full and loud at face off. Drives me crazy that they have messed up this series.

Given how JLA was full and LCA gets full, it's not as if there's a shortage of fans in this state.

Very stupid, as you say.

Comment

BTN. That's what is driving it.

The scheduling makes no sense- there's really no reason at all to have hockey play State the same weekend as the football team does. Given the crowd that is expected, we could easily have an away weekend, and play State some other weekend.
        Nothing screams Big 14 hockey like having UM-MSU on Thursday night at 6:30 so BTN can squeeze in a volleyball match at 9. But the sad thing is--which gets better ratings? Probably volleyball, unfortunately.

Big 14 hockey has been an absolute disaster for everyone involved who is not a school president, AD or coach. They gambled that the TV revenue would out do any reduced ticket sales and they were wrong. Would be great to see some real reporting on this. And they jacked up ticket prices.
        CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

How much leash will the school give Mel Pearson? He's been absolutely awful the last two years. What exactly is going on in Ann Arbor?
          CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
            How much leash will the school give Mel Pearson? He's been absolutely awful the last two years. What exactly is going on in Ann Arbor?
            MSU fan here, so I have no real horse in this race (well, other than the obvious rivalry). I will say that I'm familiar with the Pastujov bros. from their time in youth hockey down here in FL. Although I have no inside intel, I find it interesting that their younger bro, who I think by most scouts' accounts has the most potential, committed to another B1G school, Notre Dame.

Comment

I'm a Tech alum, and also a bit surprised, although TBF, the Wolverines did make to the FF in 2018, but anyhow for someone that could turn around the Huskies, and I imagine it's 1000x easier to recruit in Ann Arbor than Houghton, maybe the increased competition in the B10 and elsewhere is taking its toll. Could a system mismatch too, but Mel recruited these players, so he should have a pretty good idea.

But I also don't follow Michigan enough to know if they have a lot of one and done guys though too.

Comment

Nothing screams Big 14 hockey like having UM-MSU on Thursday night at 6:30 so BTN can squeeze in a volleyball match at 9. But the sad thing is--which gets better ratings? Probably volleyball, unfortunately.

Big 14 hockey has been an absolute disaster for everyone involved who is not a school president, AD or coach. They gambled that the TV revenue would out do any reduced ticket sales and they were wrong. Would be great to see some real reporting on this. And they jacked up ticket prices.
                did you see the crowd At Mariucci? 50% maybe.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by guinness View Post
                  I'm a Tech alum, and also a bit surprised, although TBF, the Wolverines did make to the FF in 2018, but anyhow for someone that could turn around the Huskies, and I imagine it's 1000x easier to recruit in Ann Arbor than Houghton, maybe the increased competition in the B10 and elsewhere is taking its toll. Could a system mismatch too, but Mel recruited these players, so he should have a pretty good idea.

But I also don't follow Michigan enough to know if they have a lot of one and done guys though too.
                  The Big 14 has certainly leveled the playing field for once proud programs. Mich and Minn can no longer fatten up on D-2 and MAC schools. Players want to win, period, everything else is secondary. They'll go play at PSU or ND or even OSU. The ones who want the old college try of a few years banging babes in college, playing good level hockey and living in a world class university town will continue to attend Minn, Mich and Wisky.
                  CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Even worse is that its SO easy for fans to cross over. For a nominal game, it's pretty easy to make it between the two cities, if you want. These game are the best if Munn and Yost are 100% full and loud at face off. Drives me crazy that they have messed up this series.

Given how JLA was full and LCA gets full, it's not as if there's a shortage of fans in this state.

Very stupid, as you say.
                    We'll see if LCA fills up for our Monday night match-up with State later this season.
                    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                    7 B1G
                    7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                    6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                    5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                    5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                    2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                    2 Alaskan

Comment

• Re: Michigan Hockey 2019-2020- a big fresh start, again.

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                      We'll see if LCA fills up for our Monday night match-up with State later this season.
                      Do I dare ask WHY on a Monday?

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                        The way our season is going, not with our fans.

Monday? I didn't notice that. No way we are going- have to work the next day. Who came with that dumb idea?

Comment

Copying the Beanpot!

I know Pearson won't get fired after this year but pressure has to be mounting, no?

Comment

I was a big supporter of the Mel hire, and still think he's the right man for the job. In my mind, last season was all on the goalies. It's tough to win consistently when the goalies let in as many easy goals as they did. This season though, Mann has improved tremendously and is playing well enough to win games. The lack of scoring is truly mystifying. Yes, the team could use a little more scoring talent on offense, but this is crazy. We can't buy a goal most nights and when we finally do, we fall apart and give State a bunch of easy chances. The team looks like it's playing hard most of the time, but Mel needs to get the offense figured out.

Comment

Originally posted by Maznblu View Post
                              Mel needs to get the offense figured out.
                              ESPECIALLY the (so called) Power Play.
                              The certainties of life...Death, Taxes and bad B1G Referees.

Comment

The one hope we still have to have is Mel’s teams have had a better second half than first. Most of the time at least.

But with the assistant shake up, a lot has changed, and it does take time to adjust. Although the professional in me asks why coaches make it that hard to figure it out at the beginning.

Comment

Working...
                                X