NCAA era Program rankings-accomplishments only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA era Program rankings-accomplishments only

This is a ranking I put together of every current D1 hockey team based only on what they have accomplished; winning %, NCAA win % and other metrics were not considered. This is not intended to be better than FS23's in any way. This represents about 4-5 hours of research and math, not years and I do believe that the metrics FS23 used are very valid for comparing programs, this is just another way of ranking the teams.

The scoring system I used is as follows:
    National Title (NT) - 10pts
    Championship Game Appearance (ChG) - 5pts
    Frozen Four Appearance (FF) - 4pts
    Major Conference Regular Season title (RS) - 4pts
    Major Conference Playoff Title (Pl) - 4pts
    NCAA Appearances (App) - 2 pts
    Minor Conference Regular Season title (RS) - 2pts
    Minor Conference Playoff Title (Pl) - 2pts
    NCAA Wins (Wins) - 1 pt

Further explanation:
    Minor Conference Titles are designated with a lowercase "m," so if a team has one minor conference title it would be designated 1m in that column. Similarly, for the seasons in which there were two WCHA playoff "winners" I gave those teams half credit, or 2 points and those titles are designated with a lowercase "h," so if a team was a playoff co-winner 7 times, it will be designated 7h in that column. I gave full credit to all regular season champions, even co-Champions, because I didn't feel like going back and sorting through all that.
    The Tri-State League and the Ivy League are considered major conference champions from 1948-49 until the formation of the ECAC in 1961-62. This gave teams in those league perhaps an unfair advantage, Harvard and St. Lawrence were helped particularly by this inclusion and people will probably bemoan how high they are ranked. The champions of those leagues after the formation of the ECAC were not included. I considered the first season of the Midwest Collegiate Hockey League in 1951-52 as the first season of the WCHA. I considered all CCHA championships as major although a strong argument could be made that it was not a major conference until the late '70s. The minor conference I used are MAAC/Atlantic Hockey, College Hockey America, and the Great West.

Note that points are cumulative. For example, another way of looking at the points is that a National Title is worth 25 points (1 NCAA Appearance, 4 NCAA wins, 1 Frozen Four Appearance, 1 Championship game appearance, 1 National Title) and a runner up is worth 14 points (1 NCAA Appearance, 3 NCAA wins, 1 Frozen Four Appearance, 1 Championship game appearance) and so on... People will probably also gripe that, particularly in the minor conferences, the playoff title should be worth more because of the auto-bid, but don't forget the auto-bid means an NCAA appearance and an automatic 2 additional points that are not guaranteed to the Regular Season Champion.

I will list all of the numbers and total points, so if you really don't like my point system, come up with your own and plug it into the numbers given.
    The rankings will be in the next post...discuss.
    Last edited by HumRsky; 04-13-2012, 11:02 PM.
    SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
    UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
    Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
    Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
    UMD Football: 2008, 2010
    UMD Men: 2011

Re: NCAA era Program rankings-accomplishments only

Minnesota's ranked too high... Or do I have to wait until the rankings are posted?
    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

*****http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/579021_10101901393189740_13966976_76945111_1152170 546_n.jpg******
      Last edited by HumRsky; 04-14-2012, 12:26 PM.
      SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
        Minnesota's ranked too high... Or do I have to wait until the rankings are posted?
        You do.

And here I thought the Gophers were the greatest team in the history of sport.
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Union should be ranked 9 spots higher
          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
            You do.

And here I thought the Gophers were the greatest team in the history of sport.
            With the tradition modifier Minnesota is #1.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

How on earth do you rank teams without taking into consideration percentage of in-state athletes that are on said team?

Comment

Since you gave teams half credit for shared league tourney championships, perhaps teams should also have received half credit for NCAA ties, e.g. RPI and Lake State tied a game in 1985.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  With the tradition modifier Minnesota is #1.
                  With the tradition modifier Minnesota is the only contestant.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    Since you gave teams half credit for shared league tourney championships, perhaps teams should also have received half credit for NCAA ties, e.g. RPI and Lake State tied a game in 1985.
                    I thought of that, but only a handful of teams have ties and only Wisconsin has two. Also, since those were part of the old two-game total goals round, the teams with ties either won or lost the other game, which ended up being the game that mattered for moving on in the tournament.

Comment

Teams that "envy Minnesota" should automatically earn an extra point.
                      Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                        Teams that "envy Minnesota" should automatically earn an extra point.
                        Everyone would earn an extra point except Minnesota, but with their extra point for the tradition bonus, the rankings would be exactly the same.

Comment

Sigh..... And I thought FS23's rankings were bad.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                            Sigh..... And I thought FS23's rankings were bad.
                            you could do your own rankings but that would be way more work than you put into your asinine posts...

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                              you could do your own rankings but that would be way more work than you put into your asinine posts...
                              Why?

Comment

Working...
                              X