X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New WCHA is dead

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
    Big Ten move started it all so obviously that was by far the worse move
    I may be (and am frequently) wrong but I thought the B1G has had a policy that dictates the formation of a B1G conference if 6 or more member schools compete at the D1 level in any sport and all member schools playing in said sport are obligated to compete in the B1G unless there is no B1G conference in that sport.

If that is the case, as soon as Terry Pegula bought Penn State a team, the 6-team requirement was met and the other five had no choice but to leave the WCHA and CCHA.

IMHO neither the WCHA (10 teams) nor the CCHA (8 teams) would have folded. Both had a good mix of schools and other than the AK schools they had relatively easy travel. Having the AK schools split between the tow made having them in conference a bit more tolerable.

So, if I am right about the B1G, I lay the responsibility of this whole mess squarely at the feet of DU and UND as the Nacho instigators.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
      Are you hoping to play "Gotcha!" with something that happened when I was in grade school?
      No. Just pointing out the silliness of your post. Schools have always moved from conference to conference, even going so far as to form their own (there used to be only one eastern and one western conference), always based upon the best interests of the individual schools. To suggest schools have ever (or will ever) choose loyalty to other schools in making these moves is nonsense, so let's just stop.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
        I may be (and am frequently) wrong but I thought the B1G has had a policy that dictates the formation of a B1G conference if 6 or more member schools compete at the D1 level in any sport and all member schools playing in said sport are obligated to compete in the B1G unless there is no B1G conference in that sport.

If that is the case, as soon as Terry Pegula bought Penn State a team, the 6-team requirement was met and the other five had no choice but to leave the WCHA and CCHA.

IMHO neither the WCHA (10 teams) nor the CCHA (8 teams) would have folded. Both had a good mix of schools and other than the AK schools they had relatively easy travel. Having the AK schools split between the tow made having them in conference a bit more tolerable.

So, if I am right about the B1G, I lay the responsibility of this whole mess squarely at the feet of DU and UND as the Nacho instigators.

They have the option to, they are not forced to.
        It was inevitable though.
        But yes...the NCHC has the black hat...the current 7 just couldn't help themselves...
        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
        Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
        Grandma ~ Jan 2004
        Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
        Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
          They have the option to, they are not forced to.
          Whether forced or optioned, I still believe the B1G would not have been fatal for the WCHA or CCHA without the Nacho.

Comment

Whether forced or optioned, I still believe the B1G would not have been fatal for the WCHA or CCHA without the Nacho.

The Alaska schools are likely dead anyway due to their own finances which is not the NCHC's doing and the CCHA had already rejected UAH.
            I also doubt the WCHA would have added them as that would have created an odd team league.
            The NCHC didn't kill these schools...sorry to burst your bubble.
            "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
            Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
              The Alaska schools are likely dead anyway due to their own finances which is not the NCHC's doing and the CCHA had already rejected UAH.
              I also doubt the WCHA would have added them as that would have created an odd team league.
              Everyone likes to blame UND for anything so there’s that
              Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Here’s a great article that explains a lot about the NCHC’s genesis.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/spor...chc-was-formed
                Last edited by davyd83; 07-09-2019, 05:38 PM.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

My bubble isn't burst. My only point is that the status quo would have worked well after the B1G exodus.

Fast forward to 2019 and this scenario if Nacho didn't exist: The AK teams have the money rug pulled out from under them and have to shut down, leaving the WCHA with nine teams and CCHA with seven. Logic (admittedly absent in college hockey since 2011) dictates one WCHA team migrates to the CCHA for two 8-team leagues. My guess would be Tech so they could join NMU and Lake State as well as the rest in the EST zone.
                  WCHA: CC, DU, UND, BSU, SCSU, UMD, MSU & UNO

CCHA: MTU, NMU, LSSU, FSU, WMU, ND, MU & BGSU

Still two very viable leagues, IMHO.

I realize this scenario does not address UAH but I doubt they would have been added to either league without the Nacho.

Comment

After looking at it, I like that alignment after 2020-21 if you just leave ND in the B1G and replace them with UAH.

Comment

So your changes are the two MN schools for the two eastern NCHC schools...and yet somehow the NCHC is the problem?
                      Good logic.
                      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                      Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                        No. Just pointing out the silliness of your post. Schools have always moved from conference to conference, even going so far as to form their own (there used to be only one eastern and one western conference), always based upon the best interests of the individual schools. To suggest schools have ever (or will ever) choose loyalty to other schools in making these moves is nonsense, so let's just stop.
                        There is such a thing as loyalty. It's rare but it is out there. And some people do value it more than money.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                          Here’s a great article that explains a lot about the NCHC’s genesis.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/spor...chc-was-formed
                          Thanks for the link; really interesting

Comment

So your changes are the two MN schools for the two eastern NCHC schools...and yet somehow the NCHC is the problem?
                            Good logic.
                            No, basically my only change is Tech going from the WCHA back to the CCHA to balance the leagues. Otherwise everyone is the same as before the Nacho messed it all up. And for what it's worth, I personally would prefer Tech staying in the WCHA because of their long history in the league, but for the betterment of college hockey, that move makes sense.

Comment

No, basically my only change is Tech going from the WCHA back to the CCHA to balance the leagues. Otherwise everyone is the same as before the Nacho messed it all up. And for what it's worth, I personally would prefer Tech staying in the WCHA because of their long history in the league, but for the betterment of college hockey, that move makes sense.
                              And what im saying is you look at what we have now...and what may happen with the 7 leaving and the only difference from what you put out there is BSU & MSU for Miami & Western.
                              Yet you still blame the NCHC for "messing it all up."
                              Your delusions are amazing.
                              Last edited by First Time, Long Time; 07-09-2019, 07:29 PM.
                              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                              Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

And what im saying is you look at what we have now...and what may happen with the 7 leaving and the only difference from what you put put there is BSU & MSU for Miami & Western.
                                Yet you still blame the NCHC for "messing it all up."
                                Your delusions are amazing.
                                Who is delusional when my scenario is only one team changes conferences (to balance them after losing the AK teams) different than pre-Nacho and you have two "eastern" teams playing in the "west" two "western" teams playing in the "east" for 8 years when there was no reason for them to have to do so? So yes, the Nacho caused a lot more change to the college hockey landscape than was necessary. And I would argue that the changes caused by Nacho were more detrimental to college hockey as a whole than if they just stayed status quo after the B1G formed.

Comment

Working...
                                X