This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    So, gerrymandering is legal as long as you don’t do it enough to make it racial gerrymandering? Because that’s essentially the difference in today’s ruling versus the Virginia case, no?
    Racial gerrymandering is still prohibited by the 14th Amendment. But partisan gerrymandering is beyond the reach of the federal courts. In theory, you could go to state court and argue a violation of the state constitution, like what happened in Pennsylvania.

Comment

• Re: SCOTUS 14: Confirming a Rabid Partisan to Own the Libs

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
      So, gerrymandering is legal as long as you don’t do it enough to make it racial gerrymandering? Because that’s essentially the difference in today’s ruling versus the Virginia case, no?
      Basically your political party affiliation is not a suspect class. Which... come on, son. That's the heart of democracy. It underlies freedom of expression, the right to vote, the right to assemble.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
        That's sorta how I read it. What I also read is Roberts saying that states or Congress are free to enact their own anti gerrymandering legislation which indicated that Lizzy Warren's voting rights proposal would pass Constitutional muster. The SCOTUS would basically stay out of it. That's good news in the here and now as both ballot initiatives and state supreme court rulings redrawing the lines should then be upheld. BUT, its puts more onus on the Dems to win state supreme court majorities.

EDIT - looks like uno beat me to it.
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          He was on the Court when they decided Corporations were people, right?

This is bad.
          Mitch earned his pay. Just think: if Russia doesn't steal the election both of these cases go the other way. 2016 might turn out to be as big and bad a watershed as 1980 and 2000. Stepping stones towards the death of our nation.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Kep

For the record - I'm a Roman Catholic who is very skeptical of the Jesuits. VERY SKEPTICAL. If they're for it, I don't take it as gospel they're right. I'm also very skeptical of the government. I believe it needs to be limited in its intrusion beyond "life, liberty, and the *pursuit* of happiness (emphasis mine)". I believe in strong states and the 10th amendment. I believe in a Congress and an Executive Branch working together with the SCOTUS playing umpire. The Voters are VAR.

So with that, while disappointed in the gerrymander case, I think the SCOTUS was right. Leave it to the voters (who in my state, are disgusted with everyone's gerrymander but their own). As to what level the disgust has to rise to in order to replace the political inertia is something we have to watch. I'm not optimistic for Maryland.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Kep

For the record - I'm a Roman Catholic who is very skeptical of the Jesuits. VERY SKEPTICAL. If they're for it, I don't take it as gospel they're right. I'm also very skeptical of the government. I believe it needs to be limited in its intrusion beyond "life, liberty, and the *pursuit* of happiness (emphasis mine)". I believe in strong states and the 10th amendment. I believe in a Congress and an Executive Branch working together with the SCOTUS playing umpire. The Voters are VAR.

So with that, while disappointed in the gerrymander case, I think the SCOTUS was right. Leave it to the voters (who in my state, are disgusted with everyone's gerrymander but their own). As to what level the disgust has to rise to in order to replace the political inertia is something we have to watch. I'm not optimistic for Maryland.
              Bless your heart.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                Bless your heart.
                you forgot pea pickin'
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

We could probably eliminate the whole federal gerrymandering problem by changing it so that each state gets just one representative.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

The citizenship census question opinion is out, and it's a giant cluster of concurring in part and dissenting in part.

I think it ultimately sides with the liberals, but can't tell for sure at a glance.

Comment

The reason provided by the commerce secretary was contrived, and under these particular circumstances, the district court was correct to remand to the agency.

Opinion does not categorically bar the question, but acknowledges that this one was done seemingly in bad faith.

Comment

The reason provided by the commerce secretary was contrived, and under these particular circumstances, the district court was correct to remand to the agency.

Opinion does not categorically bar the question, but acknowledges that this one was done seemingly in bad faith.
                        So, they allow the question then?

That's 0-2 for the big ones. Was that 5-4 too?
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          So, they allow the question then?

That's 0-2 for the big ones. Was that 5-4 too?
                          No. Question is a no-go for now, but it's possible it could still be added.

Basically, the department needs to explain why it wants it without lying. And that reason has to be legal under the APA.

Here, the departments reason was a lie, so it couldn't satisfy the APA. But it could presumably try to add it again.
                          Last edited by unofan; 06-27-2019, 09:47 AM.

Comment

No. Question is a no-go for now, but it's possible it could still be added.

Basically, the department needs to explain why it wants it without lying. And that reason has to be legal under the APA.

Here, the departments reason was a lie, so it couldn't satisfy the APA. But it could presumably try to add it again.
                            Ok. Roberts saved us again.

**NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

On the ultimate decision, it was 5-4 ideological lines, with Roberts siding with the liberals. But just barely.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                                We could probably eliminate the whole federal gerrymandering problem by changing it so that each state gets just one representative.
                                Or eliminating the states.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X