Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    I don't disagree, it looks pretty obvious (to me anyway) that Chara has fallen off the proverbial cliff. When the B's do win, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he didn't retire. And Cassidy - knowing the series was well under control - very well could have kept Chara out of action on the pretext of "resting" him, all the while assessing what the D-corps would look like without Chara. If it were me in that situation, I would do that in a heartbeat. So take off the tinfoil hat (or just pass it along to me), mon ami …
    Fixed yer post. Oh, and about Chara, I thought they signed him to one more year? That said, it wouldn't surprise me if something's afoot with the Captain...EDIT...speaking of feet, didn't Chara get hit in the foot blocking a shot, causing his injury...?
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 05-23-2019, 10:38 AM.
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
      Good pro hockey and fund raising talk here on the college hockey D-1 fan forum. Anyone else following the NCAA softball tournament?
      Actually, the fund raising discussion is quite relevant, Darius. It’s going to be interesting to see whether the dissolution of FOH has the unfortunate effect of a reduction in donors and/or donations targeted at UNH Hockey. Probably offset by the optimism around Souza, but nevertheless, worth watching.

And sheesh, if we can’t discuss the B’s on a hockey-oriented board, especially when our ‘Cats are enjoying their summer break, well.... 😁
      Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        OK. Lets get into it. Give me your thoughts!

---

Of all the Supers this weekend, I am most looking forward to college softball's most accomplished bat-flipper (Samantha Show) facing off against the biggest bat-flipping condescenders (the coaching staff at Florida State). If there is a God in heaven, Show will yahtzee this weekend... >
        I was joking with my original post, but thought you might and am glad you responded Dan. Most people look at me like I have lobsters crawling out of my ears when I mention NCAA softball.

Good story lines: Defending champion Florida State. Bonus Monday softball with JMU (CAA) defeating MI in Ann Arbor! Double happy for that. Always good to see Northwestern do well in any sport, have to face juggernaut OK (going for 3 of 4 championships) in Norman. 6 of 13 (all in the tournament) SEC teams made it to the supers. I sort of, kind of root against the SEC although sort of, kind of for AL and FL. It would be great to see them play again. Steel cage death match.

From Thursday night > Sunday there will be games on ESPN/2/U. Unlike some other sports no ESPN3.

Long shot hopeful for the finals: Northwestern/JMU. Reality check: OK/FL. Kelly Barnhill is must watch (Pedro, Sale) TV.
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
          Actually, the fund raising discussion is quite relevant, Darius. It’s going to be interesting to see whether the dissolution of FOH has the unfortunate effect of a reduction in donors and/or donations targeted at UNH Hockey. Probably offset by the optimism around Souza, but nevertheless, worth watching.

And sheesh, if we can’t discuss the B’s on a hockey-oriented board, especially when our ‘Cats are enjoying their summer break, well.... 😁
          Yes it is. Life got in the way so I am not on top of the 603 challenge as I have been and should be. Right now men's hockey ranks 8th with 169 total gifts/9th in amount raised with $25,651.35. Has FOH officially been dissolved? I have not seen that. Regardless, men's hockey fundraising will continue. There may be a short term donor and/or donation reduction or maybe not, but in a year or two there will be an increase.

Nothing like good B's talk. I hope they win the cup after which I will return to not giving a rat's *** about pro hockey until the next time the the B's make a solid playoff run.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
            Yes it is. Life got in the way so I am not on top of the 603 challenge as I have been and should be. Right now men's hockey ranks 8th with 169 total gifts/9th in amount raised with $25,651.35. Has FOH officially been dissolved? I have not seen that. Regardless, men's hockey fundraising will continue. There may be a short term donor and/or donation reduction or maybe not, but in a year or two there will be an increase.

Nothing like good B's talk. I hope they win the cup after which I will return to not giving a rat's *** about pro hockey until the next time the the B's make a solid playoff run.
            What makes you think there will be an increase in a year or two? The team needs those funds NOW to continue to do what FOH had been doing, at least, from what I know they had been doing. Who takes that on now? And as a member for the past 4 seasons, why haven't we received any info about all of this? I think UNH athletics owes us at least that...That said we made a small donation to the 603 challenge, and did get a thank you from MS...
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              What makes you think there will be an increase in a year or two?
              The fan base/generous Wildcat donors and faith in UNH's fund raising ability based on what they have done in the past 5 - 10 years.

The team needs those funds NOW to continue to do what FOH had been doing, at least, from what I know they had been doing.
              Existing funds are still available, no? The 603 challenge has raised additional funds, the upcoming golf tournament will raise more.

Who takes that on now?
              The new and improved FOH/UNH Advancement/people who care about and support the team.

And as a member for the past 4 seasons, why haven't we received any info about all of this? I think UNH athletics owes us at least that...That said we made a small donation to the 603 challenge, and did get a thank you from MS...
              Patience.

Comment

I was joking with my original post, but thought you might and am glad you responded Dan. Most people look at me like I have lobsters crawling out of my ears when I mention NCAA softball.

Good story lines: Defending champion Florida State. Bonus Monday softball with JMU (CAA) defeating MI in Ann Arbor! Double happy for that. Always good to see Northwestern do well in any sport, have to face juggernaut OK (going for 3 of 4 championships) in Norman. 6 of 13 (all in the tournament) SEC teams made it to the supers. I sort of, kind of root against the SEC although sort of, kind of for AL and FL. It would be great to see them play again. Steel cage death match.

From Thursday night > Sunday there will be games on ESPN/2/U. Unlike some other sports no ESPN3.

Long shot hopeful for the finals: Northwestern/JMU. Reality check: OK/FL. Kelly Barnhill is must watch (Pedro, Sale) TV.
                Alright, if we’re going here, I’m all in!

Did you guys see the Trine University hidden-ball trick to advance to the D3 World Series? Brilliant.
                Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                  Alright, if we’re going here, I’m all in!

Did you guys see the Trine University hidden-ball trick to advance to the D3 World Series? Brilliant.
                  That is great!

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                    The fan base/generous Wildcat donors and faith in UNH's fund raising ability based on what they have done in the past 5 - 10 years.

Existing funds are still available, no? The 603 challenge has raised additional funds, the upcoming golf tournament will raise more.

The new and improved FOH/UNH Advancement/people who care about and support the team.

Patience.
                    Fair enough; thanks for the response...oh and what will make this new “FOH” group “improved” over the last?
                    Last edited by HockeyRef; 05-23-2019, 04:54 PM.
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I think most people who would think your crazy for watching, likely haven’t given the sport an honest watch themselves. It’s hard not to enjoy the sport if you truly give it a chance. College softball generated 450 million in revenue last season - probably more this season. So quite a few are watching. But to each their own.

Anyway, let’s dive in...

Lots of great storylines - including this one which broke yesterday...

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/26762392/extra-innings-ucla-softball-star-stevie-wisz

The SEC is undoubtedly a deep and talented league - but getting all 13 teams into the tournament is really hard to swallow. I don’t like it for a number of reasons - but I won’t get too deep into it here. Suffice to say A&M had no business in the field as an at large with an RPI of 50 and a record of 28-27. They were a bad team this year. RPI might disagree but I think three other SEC schools should have watched from home - Teams that test themselves in the non-conference and actually win games in league play should get those opportunities...

JMU was actually ranked three spots ahead of Michigan in the polls heading into last weekend. That result didn’t surprise me at all - the Dukes can play and Megan Good is the BEST player in the country (the Hobey/POY favorite, in my mind). What a recruiting find she was - a part time softball player off a no name club team out of nowheresville southern Virginia. Don’t be surprised if she gives UCLA fits this weekend - although the Bruins have their own two-way stud...

I don’t think Northwestern has much of a chance at OK. They played twice earlier this year and OU won both, by a combined score of 15-0. They’re really the same mediocre team they’ve been for years - but this time with a hot shot FR arm in the circle. The BIG is a weak league - in most years well behind a number of mid-major leagues. UM is a force, Allister (now at Stanford) made Minny great. NU and UW are okay. Like Conklin in 2000-01 - Williams makes NU a threat, all by herself - but they still struggled past a ho-hum Louisville team last weekend...

I could tell you some Barnhill recruiting stories that would blow your mind - starting with watching her go from zero offers to near 50 in a matter of minutes, and right before my eyes, at a showcase camp in NJ. Not sure she can do it alone, however? It is shocking how bad UF is at the plate, outside of Lorenz, this season. Their offense has looked a lot like UNH’s the last few years - Little depth and low scores. They had a hard time scoring against BU, last weekend - much to the BU pitcher’s surprise...

Additionally, the really good Gator teams have always had multiple aces - but their pitching coach left for OU last summer and they haven’t developed a true number two. Tennessee took the series at UF earlier this season. I’d still pick UF this weekend, but I’m not sure they have the team to do much in OKC...

I’d expect Alabama to beat Oregon - er, Texas - unless Elish can steal it all on her own. But ‘Bama can match her ability in the circle and has a far better offense. Texas does have some experience at this level, though, as four starters - including Elish - and their HC were in the WCWS with Oregon last season. At least three other Ducks stayed at Oregon but sat out the season to graduate and transfer - that team went from the penthouse to the outhouse in a hurry (and all because they wouldn’t give White a raise). Losing just BVR? No sweat...

LSU/Minny will be interesting but the Gophers are at home and have better pitching depth. Ironically, as a result of their number two Shelby Smith transferring home from LSU (She’s basically their Eddie C). LSU has for years struggled on offense against good competition/pitching...

Arizona and Ole Miss should be all offense especially in the launching pad that is Tucson. A UNH/BC late-90’s track meet. That’s the Wildcats’ specialty and If any pitcher is going to slow down the opponent it’s likely to be McQuillin, so look for Zona to advance...

Washington - with two AA caliber pitchers one elite hitter, an otherwise dangerous offense and a legit, non-Whittamorgue, home-field advantage on the other side of the country should be much too much for Kentucky. After NW I think UK is most likely to bow out early - they got a great regional draw to advance this far...

FSU probably gets past Okie State - but this series should be fun to watch with contrasting styles, cultures and personalities. Two good teams, great offenses led by some of the best in the game - it could be a shoot out unless King (the best developed player in softball - a mid level kid FSU stole late and turned into a star). Like Steve Saviano, King’s star-turn was completely unexpected...

—-

For all the talk about parity and how good the games were last weekend - 15 of the top-16 seeds advanced (and JMU probably deserved the seed over UM). Last year all 16-seeded teams advanced to the Super Regionals and all of the home Supers teams (8-national seeds) advanced to the WCWS. Will that trend hold true this weekend...?

Great to know at least a few of us are watching, though - it’s a fun ride and, hey, it’s deep into the off-season...

—-

St Louis is Boston - just not as talented. Bruins in 5 or 6...
                      Last edited by Dan; 05-23-2019, 08:26 PM.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        St Louis is Boston - just not as talented. Bruins in 5 or 6...
                        I'm a little nervous about this. It just seems like all the intangibles are in the Blues' favor. St. Louis is certainly due. They have NEVER won a GAME in the Stanley Cup finals (when they went three times in a row it was when ALL six expansion teams were in the same conference - or division at that time - so they played an "original six" team three times in a row and lost every game - 0-12). I still have a hard time believing that Rask will play as well as he has up to now, especially given the long layoff before which he was REALLY locked in. It just seems like it was a month ago when the Bruins beat Columbus and the energy has to be depleted somewhat.

AND...the Blues have Laila! (don't laugh...that type of thing can carry a team....look at the Red Sox after David Ortiz got up and said "This is our ***** seety! And nobody gonna dictate our freedom!")

FWIW...apparently Chara was spectacular in that "scrimmage" last night. It doesn't matter except in the sense that he seems to be healthy or he wouldn't have been out there as much as he was.

IMO...if the B's win no way will it be in six games. They won't win the cup IN St. Louis. That building has become a huge home ice advantage and they have lots of momentum. Also, never thought I'd ever say this about hockey, but it depends upon the officiating also. Call me paranoid but my attitude about "replay" is exacerbated by the fact that it is done in TORONTO (just as in baseball it is done in NEW YORK). I don't believe that anyone in Toronto can be objective when it comes to Boston. I'm sorry, but that's how I feel. (I'll stop here or else it will be a six chapter discussion on the "merits" of replay in general) The final factor will be how many hand passes the eventual winning team gets away with. Besides, that is, the potential that by June 12 - JUNE 12!!!! (and that's ANOTHER discussion) there may be a repeat of that Edmonton series where they were skating through fog the entire game.

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                          I'm a little nervous about this. It just seems like all the intangibles are in the Blues' favor. St. Louis is certainly due. They have NEVER won a GAME in the Stanley Cup finals (when they went three times in a row it was when ALL six expansion teams were in the same conference - or division at that time - so they played an "original six" team three times in a row and lost every game - 0-12). I still have a hard time believing that Rask will play as well as he has up to now, especially given the long layoff before which he was REALLY locked in. It just seems like it was a month ago when the Bruins beat Columbus and the energy has to be depleted somewhat.

AND...the Blues have Laila! (don't laugh...that type of thing can carry a team....look at the Red Sox after David Ortiz got up and said "This is our ***** seety! And nobody gonna dictate our freedom!")

FWIW...apparently Chara was spectacular in that "scrimmage" last night. It doesn't matter except in the sense that he seems to be healthy or he wouldn't have been out there as much as he was.

IMO...if the B's win no way will it be in six games. They won't win the cup IN St. Louis. That building has become a huge home ice advantage and they have lots of momentum. Also, never thought I'd ever say this about hockey, but it depends upon the officiating also. Call me paranoid but my attitude about "replay" is exacerbated by the fact that it is done in TORONTO (just as in baseball it is done in NEW YORK). I don't believe that anyone in Toronto can be objective when it comes to Boston. I'm sorry, but that's how I feel. (I'll stop here or else it will be a six chapter discussion on the "merits" of replay in general) The final factor will be how many hand passes the eventual winning team gets away with. Besides, that is, the potential that by June 12 - JUNE 12!!!! (and that's ANOTHER discussion) there may be a repeat of that Edmonton series where they were skating through fog the entire game.
                          Agreed; seven games; Kaching$, Kaching$

B's will win only if Charlie Coyle's line continues to deliver. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post

Hey Chickie - you seem to have some issues. Explain that paranoid Toronto fantasy to me, please?
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Blues in Six

Comment

• Maybe I’m missing something but I don’t get all the doom and gloom? Perhaps it’s just a way to be surprised, but not all that disappointed. Obviously anything can happen, but Boston should be a clear favorite...

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/26806175/2019-stanley-cup-final-numbers-how-bruins-blues-match-up

As for the Bruins long layoff the Blues have sat around for nearly a week themselves. Their enthusiasm, puck skills and goaltending are just as likely to be impacted negatively as Boston’s...

As for the Blues’ huge home-ice advantage - St Louis is 5-5 in the playoffs at home this season. By comparison the Bruins are 6-3. Boston is also 6-2 on the road and has had no problem winning in hostile playoff atmospheres...

As for St Louis’ hot stretch of three in a row, Boston is won six in a row...

As for Boston’s playoff opponents - Toronto is an elite team, Columbus was as talented as any one post-trade deadline and Im pretty sure they mentioned Carolina had one of the top-five records in the NHL much of the second half of the season...

As for being due - there’s no such thing. I doubt these Blues will find experience or good fortune from the 70’s Blues struggles (or Pesky holding the ball, etc.). if anyone’s ‘due’ recent history might tell you it’s been an uncharacteristically long time since Boston won a title based on how often the city wins titles these days...

Boston has the best forward line in the series, the more balanced offensive attack, the better GF/GA ranking, the far better PP, the far better PK and a more experienced (and far hotter) goaltender in Rask (1.84/.942 to Binnington’s 2.36/.914)...

Boston’s top line is a +15 (18:3) at even-strength play while STL’s is -1 (5:6). Boston’s top D-Pair is +8 (13:5). STL’s is +1 (7:6)...

Overall Boston has much more post-season and Stanley Cup experience and the intangible ‘leadership’ edge...

And honestly, if storylines have any impact on a series Boston being an obnoxious winner, winning its third title in a year and owning St Louis (Sox twice, Pats essentially twice) in the last fifteen years destroys last original expansion team to win on the ‘fate-meter’...

I mean, things happen - but Boston has plenty of reason to be optimistic. Everything that many are SO high on for St Louis is overshadowed by Boston’s results in the same categories. It’s the ‘I tout and overvalue the regular dude/team for doing less than the superstar/great team because I don’t expect it from one and take it for granted from the other’ argument in a nut shell...

—-

Also, Oklahoma, UCLA, Washington, Florida, Arizona, Minnesota, Alabama and Oklahoma State advance to the WCWS. Only OSU won as a road underdog. The winner likely comes from the top (first) three listed - but if there’s a spoiler look for #8 Alabama or #13 OSU to fill that role...
                                Last edited by Dan; 05-27-2019, 12:25 PM.
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                                X