Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2019-2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by Tool Shed View Post
    Bottom line is Roque, Shirley, & Watts are not built for that many minutes! Wisconsin's strength is their depth...keep the lines in tact & use the third "rat" line to your advantage.
    Agreed...Wisconsin depth is a huge advantage. Having 3 Patty Kaz finalists stumbling around because the can't breath is not how to get fast twitch offense. Even the winning goal was scored while Wisco players were changing on the back check behind the play because they were tired.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyThumper View Post
      Agreed...Wisconsin depth is a huge advantage. Having 3 Patty Kaz finalists stumbling around because the can't breath is not how to get fast twitch offense. Even the winning goal was scored while Wisco players were changing on the back check behind the play because they were tired.
      I was really shocked to see the UW players gassed like that. MJ should have spotted the 4th line a few times in the 3rd period to just get the others some rest. I also agree to roll the 3 lines continually and no double shifting.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
        In past seasons, Clarkson's 2nd and 3rd lines have been decent defensively, they just haven't been scoring threats. Maybe vicb can fill us in.
        I believe I read somewhere that we (Clarkson) have 200+ career points on IR.

On September 26 we had a solid 3 scoring lines. On September 27th, that went out the window. The coaching job that Matt Desrosiers and his assistants did this year is outstanding given the injuries to key players.

Smother Giguere and you win. Let her run free and it will be a long afternoon.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Let her run free and it will be a long afternoon.
          From watching Johnson-coached teams during his 17 (?) years of Badgering, letting people run free isn't really what they do. I do think that Giguere is one of those rare people who can get something done even while being smothered.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

UW is just not generating a lot of high grade chances right now.
            I don't necessarily agree with this. It was true against Ohio State in that final regular season series (when Roque was trying to score lacrosse styles goals because nothing else was working), but it wasn't the case in the WCHA tournament.

There have been a number of games in recent years where they'll attempt 120 shots and 30 of them will actually be on net. On Sunday, they had 41 SOG, OSU had like 20 blocks and UW has 85 or so total attempts. That's downright economical for the Badgers. They weren't forcing things or swinging wildly for the fences. They were crashing the net for the first time in ages, which was nice to see. The timing wasn't always there, but after having watched a few weeks of truly brutal hockey from them where it never looked like they were remotely dangerous, I thought Sunday was eons better.
            It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by NMH View Post
              ...... They were crashing the net for the first time in ages, which was nice to see. The timing wasn't always there, but after having watched a few weeks of truly brutal hockey from them where it never looked like they were remotely dangerous, I thought Sunday was eons better.
              That will be the way either team scores this weekend IMHO crash the net and look for rebounds, that and getting screens in front like Princeton did against Clarkson and picking the corners of the net with shots from the point.
              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Based on how Clarkson has lined up the following spots missed time:

Forwards
                Top line Center (Pejzlová) - 7 games
                Top line Center / 2nd line Winger (Friesen) - 9 games
                Top line Winger (Lonergan) - 36 games (season)

2nd line Winger (McGill) - 26 games (season)

3rd / 4th line forward (Gaudet) - 29 games (season)

Defense
                Top pair defender (Shelton) - 4 games
                Top pair defender (Turnquist) - no games but moved to fwd
                3rd pair defender (Hector) - 4 games
                3rd pair defender (Mitchell) - 6 games (I believe done for the season)

They were the team that had the most unfilled roster spots heading into their conference tournament and only Lindenwood was close so I don't think that changed.

As far as goaltending, Coulombe had the same save percentage as Browning heading into the final ECAC tournament games with 3 frosh defenders and the above injuries, plus a team that didn't control play as much (this could have hurt or helped the stats I guess).

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                  and picking the corners of the net with shots from the point.
                  UW was picking at the corners Sunday, and missing.

I'm very bummed about not being able to go Saturday. The NCAA crowd is so electric. There is a buzz in the air. You can feel it. Sometimes there are battling bands, even if the visiting team's band is a bunch of rented middle-schoolers. We await this one game all year and are hopefully UW can get that NCAA home game, one more time with the Sr class on the ice, one last chance to take it all in.

Comment

I was seriously considering going up to Wisconsin for this game but the Corona virus in concert with my compromised immunity system due to health issues put the brakes on that. I only hope that the games will be played. It is very interesting that the IVY League has cancelled all spring sports and Harvard and Yale's mens Hockey teams forfeited their games in the ECAC Quarter-finals (before the ECAC Cancelled the Tourney all together) while Cornell and Princeton's Mens and Womens hockey teams were allowed to continue playing.
                    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                      I was seriously considering going up to Wisconsin for this game but the Corona virus in concert with my compromised immunity system due to health issues put the brakes on that. I only hope that the games will be played. It is very interesting that the IVY League has cancelled all spring sports and Harvard and Yale's mens Hockey teams forfeited their games in the ECAC Quarter-finals (before the ECAC Cancelled the Tourney all together) while Cornell and Princeton's Mens and Womens hockey teams were allowed to continue playing.
                      People reporting on another thread the tournament has been cancelled along with the men's and women's bball tournament.

Comment

The season is over. All NCAA tournaments have been cancelled.
                        Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Well, just a sickening way to end the season on a whimper. No glorious battle, no dramatic plays, no wow and yikes, no trill of victory or agony of defeat. I just feel terrible for the senior class who had the chance to repeat as champs and really cement their legacy in the annals of UW glory. They DID get to experience the sheer joy of the Natty, and so did I.

I wrote this on Sr weekend, I feel like it helps me get some closure looking at it again. I really feel like I lost a friend that I never got to say goodbye to.
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Senior day is upon us.

Rowe has really been a team player for the team. When the big guns were at the Olympics and MJ was trying to find scoring, she played F on the line with Roque, otherwise she has played D. Usually she was the 3rd pair or even didn't dress early on, and her skating isn't the most beautiful thing, but you have to admire her desire to do whatever it takes to help the team.

Mauermann has been so much fun to watch. Her heart is bigger than anyone's yet she is the smallest player. Clearly a fan favorite, she'll charge into any situation along the boards and out-hustle and work any player out there. I'm not sure there's another player on the team as fearless as her. She has a heck of a sniper shot too. She is so much fun to watch.

Norby maybe never lived up to her billing as Ms MN hockey (or maybe my expectations were too high), but she has been a dependable solid F all four years, scoring 20+ points all 4 years. She's just the kind of player you need on your team if you want to succeed, in fact you probably want 4 or 5 of her on your team.

When Roque came in, I didn't know what to expect since she played against boys in HS. It became apparent she was very talented and maybe a little too strong on her skates as other plays seem to fall down when they bumped into her. She improved all 4 years and what a top line player she has become. I'm not I've seen as creative a player as she is with the puck on her stick to set up goals. The 360 spins and eyes behind her head passes.....wow.

Steffen is the latest in a long string of D who arrive at UW as and freshmen fit right into the starting lineup and play like a seasoned vet from day 1. You just don't see her make any mistakes out there, no risky passes, no holding the puck too long, just an awesome D who also qb's the PP. I think we will end up missing her like we miss Rolfes and Gardner. That is a heck of a compliment.

Soup was a shocker pick-up. It looked like Cece was the heir apparent to ARD, she some in and grabs the job from day 1 and never lets it go. To backstop a Natty team is something that is truly an accomplishment, its SO hard to be the last team who doesn't lose.

Cece was the ARD heir apparent. She played well in 5 games he Fr year when ARD was injured and I was very confident she would be able to do the job as I am in any UW goalie who MJ recruits. UW is truly goalie U. What can be said other than Soup took the job and had the success to back it up. When Soup played those first games for UW the thought never crossed my mind that Cece needed to play because Soup did such a great job. There's no second guessing MJ on who plays in goal.

All these players contributed in different ways their 4 years and to bring that Natty home last year after a lot of heartbreak the years before will always bring a smile to my face. Let's finish the year out strong and be the last team not to lose again.
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          It's always a great day for Badger hockey ladies. Best wishes and God bless you in your future endeavors. On Wisconsin.

Comment

Came across a very unusual recruiting situation, UW has picked up a D, Mayson Toft, from Alexandria Area HS over in the land of many tiny ponds. What is so unusual about it? She was previously committed to....................................UW River Falls (I wonder how UW River Falls out recruited Frosty for her?). She would be a 7th D, joining Buchbinder, Bowlby, Lamantia, Edwards, Grant and Kotlowski. I wonder if there's any thought of Kotlowski taking a redshirt for last year to break up the 3 person D class from this last season. It's going to be hard to replace Stefan, I don't think she ever put a skate in a wrong place all 4 years just like Rolfes and Gardner.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              I wonder how UW River Falls out recruited Frosty for her?
                              And all of the other D-I programs? Minnesota graduates Patty Marshall and is adding two: Josie Dunne from Chicago Mission and Maggie Nicholson from Minnetonka. With five returning D, the Gophers really shouldn't need to raid D-III rosters for recruits. We might need a goalie, but that's another story.
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I have updated the recruiting spreadsheet with D Mayson Toft being added to next years roster.
                                Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Working...
                                X