Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread: We All Have A Crush On Shirley Manson

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
    NWA was half and half as thug, given Dre's and Eazy's involvement. BUT, also artists. Cube skewed that a little, but still.
    Living that way, in that time and place, in the business, wasn't "thug," it was how you got by. Like Biggie and the triple beam, it was what you needed to do not to be ground under. At some level I agree with you, f-ck those guys for what they helped do to their brothers. At another level, that's our economy. Nobody will help you so it's either knife or be knifed. Having been comfortable my whole life I am not fit to judge either way, but I do know every uptight conservative American fortune was made exactly the same way.

My opinion, FWIW:

Dre is the classic businessman; he's Wozniak in the sheets and Gates in the streets -- The Archetypal American; today's Tom Sawyer, mean, mean pride. Cube was the fixer who could complete the play. Easy was the doomed charismatic of every age; he might as well have been Rimbaud -- I love how surprised he sounds that he's actually good at this! OC was the tragic hero as it turned out (though he did it to himself so no tears). Yella and Ren belonged on the East Coast; they were just were born in the wrong place.
    Last edited by Kepler; 01-17-2020, 12:02 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Dre is total biz. Cube is the classic poet, in modern form. Eazy was hustla, always was, always would have been. Yella and Ren were kinda hangers-on. They had talent, but as supporting players.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        NWA was legit. It irritates me they are portrayed as thug rap. They were artists.
        Porque no los dos?

NWA were artists but you don’t come out of 1980’s Compton without a little bit of gangsta on you. The stuff from Straight Outta Compton (Cube smashing up the office, anything from Eazy, the “Bye Felicia” scene etc.) kind of proved that.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Also, thanks to this thread I’ve been on an EDM kick. I’ve come to the following thoughts:

1. Everything is about sex (just like I remembered from late HS/early College).
          2. I’m glad I never took X.
          3. I still like it.
          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

I was in high school when Straight Outta Compton came out and it blew my mind. I was listening to punk and thrash at the time and when I heard the opening song on that N.W.A. LP my younger self thought holy ****, this is a street version of Slayer! 🤘

I still play the album now and then, picked it up on 180 gram vinyl last year. It holds up and honestly seems just as apropos socially now as it was then. Which is an indictment on our justice system and LE generally.
            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
              I was in high school when Straight Outta Compton came out and it blew my mind. I was listening to punk and thrash at the time and when I heard the opening song on that N.W.A. LP my younger self thought holy ****, this is a street version of Slayer! 🤘

I still play the album now and then, picked it up on 180 gram vinyl last year. It holds up and honestly seems just as apropos socially now as it was then. Which is an indictment on our justice system and LE generally.
              I was in Junior High, and yeah, that song HIT.

And Hip Hop Evolution S4 just hit on Netflix. Hells yeah.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I love this man

Asked a girl what she wanted to be
                She said, "baby, can't you see
                I want to be famous, a star on the screen
                But you can do something in between

___

In Penny Lane, there is a barber showing photographs
                Of every head he's had the pleasure to know
                And all the people that come and go
                Stop and say, "Hello"

___

When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me
                Speaking words of wisdom, let it be
                And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me
                Speaking words of wisdom, let it be
                Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be
                Whisper words of wisdom, let it be

____

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
                Take these broken wings and learn to fly
                All your life
                You were only waiting for this moment to arise

___

Hey Jude, don't make it bad
                Take a sad song and make it better
                Remember to let her into your heart
                Then you can start to make it better

Hey Jude, don't be afraid
                You were made to go out and get her
                The minute you let her under your skin
                Then you begin to make it better
                Last edited by Slap Shot; 01-18-2020, 05:57 AM.

Comment

I love this woman (and her bandmates).

Try to comprehend that which you'll never comprehend
                  (You can see my scars)

_______

I've held back a wealth of ****
                  I think I'm gonna choke
                  Standing in the shadows with
                  The words stuck in my throat

I fall down just to give you a thrill
                  Prop me up with another pill
                  If I should fail, if I should fold
                  I nailed my faith to the sticking pole

_________

Hey boy, take a look at me
                  Let me dirty up your mind
                  I'll strip away your hard veneer
                  And see what I can find

_____

I wear myself out in the morning
                  You're asleep when I get home
                  Please don't call me self defending
                  You know it cuts me to the bone
                  And it's really not surprising
                  I hold a force I can't contain

_______

So no of course we can't be friends
                  Not while I'm still this obsessed
                  I guess I always knew the score
                  This is how our story ends

I only smile in the dark
                  My only comfort is the night gone black
                  I didn't accidentally tell you that
                  I'm only happy when it rains
                  You'll get the message by the time I'm through
                  When I complain about me and you
                  I'm only happy when it rains

I will burn for you
                  Feel pain for you
                  I will twist the knife and bleed my aching heart
                  And tear it apart
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Walk the Sky - possibly the best Alter Bridge album ever. Definitely best since ABIII. For sure better than The Last Hero was anyway.

Comment

With respect to Funky Drummer, the best break beat ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY-Z6wm6TMQ

Comment

Still mourning the death of Neil Peart. The week before the news broke I had revisited Fly By Night And Caress Of Steel and fell in love with the band again.

Since hearing of Neil’s tragic passing I started with Fly By Night and moved forward and have reached Counterparts.

Quick thoughts on the post-Moving Pictures discography:
                        Signals is both musically and lyrically a tour de force. God ****.

In fact, imo, the trio of Signals, Grace Under Pressure And Power Windows are every bit as important as their predecessors imo.

Beyond that, Counterparts really holds up. What a great later period LP!

Roll The Bones is meh as is Hold Your Fire. 3-4 good songs each.

Presto I love but could afford to lose some fat like superconductor.

Anyway...RIP Pratt.
                        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

I used to be a huge Beatles fan, but now I have to be in a special mood to listen to them. Same thing with a few bands, like Counting Crows, Death Cab, and Arcade Fire.
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                            Still mourning the death of Neil Peart. The week before the news broke I had revisited Fly By Night And Caress Of Steel and fell in love with the band again.

Since hearing of Neil’s tragic passing I started with Fly By Night and moved forward and have reached Counterparts.

Quick thoughts on the post-Moving Pictures discography:
                            Signals is both musically and lyrically a tour de force. God ****.

In fact, imo, the trio of Signals, Grace Under Pressure And Power Windows are every bit as important as their predecessors imo.

Beyond that, Counterparts really holds up. What a great later period LP!

Roll The Bones is meh as is Hold Your Fire. 3-4 good songs each.

Presto I love but could afford to lose some fat like superconductor.

Anyway...RIP Pratt.
                            I need to read Ghost Rider.

Neil went on a cross-continent motorcycle trip to get his mind straight after losing his wife and daughter in the span of a year and wrote about it.
                            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                              I used to be a huge Beatles fan, but now I have to be in a special mood to listen to them. Same thing with a few bands, like Counting Crows, Death Cab, and Arcade Fire.
                              I love a lot of those bands, but I've heard them SO MUCH over the years, it's hard sometimes to hear them again. It's become tired. No insult to the music or the bands, but man...I can only listen to them so many times, you know?

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                                I love a lot of those bands, but I've heard them SO MUCH over the years, it's hard sometimes to hear them again. It's become tired. No insult to the music or the bands, but man...I can only listen to them so many times, you know?
                                Arcade Fire, Death Cab, and Counting Crows were easy to listen to when I was super depressed. Now that I've come out, started hormones, my MSW, etc, and my life is improving, I want music that matches my mood. Mama Wendy got me going on Sara Bareilles, Norah Jones, Ingrid Michaelson, etc, and that's been the music of my transition.

Comment

Working...
                                X