Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
    It isn’t so much anger as it is bitter taste in our mouth. He is an alum of Tech which rightly or wrongly obligates a person to conducting themselves to the highest standard when it comes that university. A lot of us feel Merv hasn’t done that.

When he retires, I will treat him as the coach who revived Tech Hockey and hope the university names something in his honor.
    Good response.
    Go Huskies!

Comment

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
      When he retires, I will treat him as the coach who revived Tech Hockey and hope the university names something in his honor.
      He will be remembered for turning it around, but I don't think anything should/will be named in his honour unless he makes a sizable donation to the school.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Originally posted by omahasioux1 View Post
        Congrats Tech on the GLI win.
        Seconded! Thanks for holding the conference banner high. You were the only one to do so in the last week.

Comment

It's all come right with Joe and the teams success.
          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Tech's turn around in my opinion, after 30 years of nothing, wasn't caused by a coach. It was largely caused by three factors:
            1) $$$$$ spent on staff
            2) $$$$$ spent on the facilities
            3) Conference Changes

1) Look at the string of coaches (head and assistants) Tech had leading up to 2011. Tell me that ANY of them were viewed as a major catch by Tech from a national viewpoint. Maybe you could say Watters (at the time of his hire, now not so much) fits that mold since he came from an NHL assistant role, but other than that, the head coaches and assistants were not national candidates. The formation of the NCHC was a huge wake up call to Tech that they had better start treating their only D-I team as such and not just a cute pet project for promotional purposes. Had Tech waved around that kind of money 10-20 years earlier, I promise you the pool of coaching applicants would have been much different.

2) Besides the new seats and the hockey center addition, what major projects happened in the JMSIA for the better part of 30 YEARS other than a fresh coat of paint? Now look at the money spent in the last 10 years... press box renovation, locker room additions/renovations, video scoreboard, suites constructed, etc. Tech is finally putting money into the program that puts them on par with other national programs. No, our rink will never be on par with the "Make me Ralph" in North Dakota but the JMSIA is easily in the top 25 of all D-I hockey facilities and that says a lot considering the size of the enrollments at some of the D-I hockey schools.

3) Lastly, the realignment of the WCHA eliminated 15+ games per season against MN, WI, DU, UND, UMD, SCSU and CC and in their place added BGSU, NMU, LSSU, FSU, UAF, UAH. No offense, and I know we all like to the think the WCHA is a great conference, but tell me that change alone isn't worth 5+ (if not 10) wins more per season for the Huskies. Tech was 10 games under 0.500 (29-39-8) their final two seasons in the oWCHA. In the first four years of the nWCHA they were 34 games over 0.500 (89-53-21). Yes, you still have to play the games and win them, but the Huskies strength of schedule took at huge hit with the conference shake-up. And Tech wasn't exactly killing it in non-conference play which means nearly all of these wins were coming out of the WCHA.

In summary... Was a certain coach part of the change, yes. But he wasn't the root cause and I'm certainly not going to kiss the feet of a Tech alum who stopped by for six years with his eye on another prize and then went right back out the door when a better opportunity came along. If he had left for something other than a parallel job with another NCAA team (it's not just a Michigan thing), an NHL opportunity, to be GM/coach in junior hockey, ECHL/AHL head coach, etc there might be different feelings. Everyone wants to better themselves. But if his goal was to simply be the head coach at Michigan, there was no reason to come back to Tech and pretend it was such a great opportunity and how much he loved the Copper Country when he really just viewed Tech as "good enough for now"...

I'm not angry. But I'm certainly not going to stand up, cheer and give pats on the back to someone who used the Huskies as a way to not keep being an assistant coach in AA until Red finally ran out of gas. Especially when that person is a Michigan Tech alum...

Go Huskies! Go Tech!
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
              Tech's turn around in my opinion, after 30 years of nothing, wasn't caused by a coach. It was largely caused by three factors:
              1) $$$$$ spent on staff
              3) Conference Changes
              I concur.

Marv had an opportunity to use Tech as a stepping stone and did not hesitate to step on the school, the program, the fans and the community. And I agree, it's a shame it was done by an alumnus.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                I concur.

Marv had an opportunity to use Tech as a stepping stone and did not hesitate to step on the school, the program, the fans and the community. And I agree, it's a shame it was done by an alumnus.

Did you not read my previous post?
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                  It isn’t so much anger as it is bitter taste in our mouth. He is an alum of Tech which rightly or wrongly obligates a person to conducting themselves to the highest standard when it comes that university. A lot of us feel Merv hasn’t done that.

I thought he acted with impeccable standards while there. Incidentally I can think of a couple other former players who went on to coach their not alum with distinction: Shawan and a dude named MacInnes.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                    I concur. Marv had an opportunity to use Tech as a stepping stone and did not hesitate to step on the school, the program, the fans and the community. And I agree, it's a shame it was done by an alumnus. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                    Lots of props to Mroz, Sanagret, other Alumni. It takes a lot to change the culture. Still not done.

I was stuck with 3 Spartan fans at the game and each one remarked on the fan following, the Pep band, the chants etc.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                      Anyone else hear Suzanne's interview with Dirk? Reading between the lines, it sounds like the Illitches are going to demand a larger slice of the GLI pizza (if you will) in the next contract, claiming that it costs significantly more to operate the new place compared to Joe Louis Arena. Two more years on the current contract.
                      Really? Because the GLI makes soooooo much money?

Comment

It was the obvious next step and a very good opportunity for him. Not getting how you or anyone else can hold it against someone to make any career decision. And i don't think you were in the room during any discussion between the two of them, so you really should not claim to know.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                          1) $$$$$ spent on staff
                          3) Conference Changes

Go Huskies! Go Tech!
                          You are correct, no one thing lead to Tech’s revival, but the coach plays an important part of it. I memory serves me correctly, he did push for a lot of the upgrades to the JMSIA.

Merv’s tenure at Tech felt a lot like Lou Holtz’s coaching tenure at U of MN football in the mid 80’s. Everyone knew if The Golden Domers came calling Holtz was gone. That is how I looked at it with What’s his name. It is not that uncommon in sports.

It was a good fit at the time, but that time has passed. What’s his name is just another coach. It is just a line on his resume that he was a Tech coach and hockey player until he retires.

For me, Joe and his coaching style is a perfect for Tech.

Go Tech!!

Comment

Hopefully the GLI does not go the way of the District Detroit.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              Really? Because the GLI makes soooooo much money?
                              Nah, but they can book the Zac Brown Band for another back-to-back show over New Year and get more people in the arena than the GLI as of late.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                                Nah, but they can book the Zac Brown Band for another back-to-back show over New Year and get more people in the arena than the GLI as of late.
                                I still haven't found attendance numbers for day 2 but day 1 said 16k which I think thats pretty **** good.

EDIT: looks like day 2 was 10k, which is it really surprising there was a drop with the crappy times?
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X