X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Golden Gopher Women's Hockey 2009-2010

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    Gophersports announcement.
    Hopefully more fans come out for this game so the home ice gives the Gophers the big advantage that it should be! The team will have plenty of time to (a) recuperate and (b) prepare for Clarkson, who as the visitor and underdog will approach this game like they have everything to gain and nothing to lose. Unlike today the Gophers will need to establish dominance from the get-go and make sure they grab the early lead.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by dhmn View Post
      and this guy

*****http://www.viewthroughmylens.net/Galleries/UMDWomensHockey/WCHATourney/UMDVSMinnesota/WCHAChampionshipUMDVsMinnesota25.jpg******
      Oh, thanks.
      Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
      Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
      Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

So where are we? We can look at yesterday's game, claim the Gophers didn't get the bounces or the calls, and say that we'll be just fine going forward. But it's hard to get much in the way of friendly bounces when you play most of the first period in your own zone, and calls could as easily get more hurtful than helpful. Of the things they can control, what needs to improve for Minnesota to be a factor in the NCAA tournament?

Play 60 minutes -- we've struggled with this for a long time. In a win-or-go-home scenario against good opponents, bad periods prove fatal. We can't start slow, disappear in the second period, or take a run of penalties and lose all momentum. We have to keep coming, putting on pressure, and play the majority of the game in the other team's end, because we aren't solid enough in our own D-zone to live there.

Value puck possession -- particularly yesterday, we'd work to get the puck, then give it away once we did.

Greatly reduce undisciplined plays -- if you know everything that is going on in Dorene's life, this probably means you.

No horrific turnovers -- several prime examples from the weekend are burned into my memory, only one of which resulted in a goal against. All involved mishandles toward our own slot or weak passes near the offensive blue line. I doubt that these plays are being made in practice; don't make them in games.

Superhuman effort in net -- is this fair? No. But pre-Olympics, teams scored more than two goals against Noora once. In the four games since her return, they've done so each time. Are those goals her fault? In almost all cases, no. But before she left, she stopped all kinds of pucks that she had zero business stopping, and we became a contender in large part based on that. Some dropoff is certainly understandable, predictable even, but probably not survivable unless her teammates do a lot more to help her.

Fan support -- not enough Gopher faithful, and those who find their way into Ridder are pretty quiet. It's okay to cheer at times other than when we've scored a goal. Dave, you're off the hook on this one, given we've been provided with visual evidence of your involvement.

Goph's, we have a unique opportunity: win three straight on home ice and hoist our game's most coveted prize. Okay, maybe not that unique given the Gophers and Bulldogs have had the same chance in the last five years and the Lakers could next year. I'm not going to quote Herb Brooks and claim that if you lose, you'll take it to your graves, but if you win, it'll be the defining moment of your Gopher careers.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I don't see enough of them to really critique much.. but from what I saw this weekend, against OSU *AND* UMD.. I'd have to agree about the D-Zone stuff.. I haven't even looked at the OSU/Minnesota game pictures yet (I'll get to it, tonight sometime) but all of their goals were scored on scrums in front as were all 3 UMD goals (OK, Blais tipped a Rasmussen shot, but it was because noone tied her up in front of the net.)

The defense isn't doing a good job of supporting Raty right now is the one observation I got from the weekend.

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

UMD Women's Hockey Fans Page

Comment

Greatly reduce undisciplined plays -- if you know everything that is going on in Dorene's life, this probably means you.

No horrific turnovers -- several prime examples from the weekend are burned into my memory, only one of which resulted in a goal against. All involved mishandles toward our own slot or weak passes near the offensive blue line. I doubt that these plays are being made in practice; don't make them in games.

Fan support -- not enough Gopher faithful, and those who find their way into Ridder are pretty quiet. It's okay to cheer at times other than when we've scored a goal. Dave, you're off the hook on this one, given we've been provided with visual evidence of your involvement.

Goph's, we have a unique opportunity: win three straight on home ice and hoist our game's most coveted prize. Okay, maybe not that unique given the Gophers and Bulldogs have had the same chance in the last five years and the Lakers could next year. I'm not going to quote Herb Brooks and claim that if you lose, you'll take it to your graves, but if you win, it'll be the defining moment of your Gopher careers.
            Keep preaching ARM. I think no horrific turnovers means stop making passes across the offensive blueline when your partner is changing and there are two defenders near you. I think that would include drop passes in the defensive zone behind your teammate and the forwards pressuring the puck as well.

Fan support...you mean it's not Halloween and everyone is dressed as empty seats? Sorry stole that from Eric Means and Des Christopher from my Mankato days. We need more help from the media. Other than KARE 11, does anyone do anything to help the program? I have a number of friends that think I'm nuts following women's hockey until they see a game. It was pretty sad that the Bullydog fans were louder than the Gopher fans and it was the Gophers' arena.

Comment

Originally posted by taz91 View Post
              Other than KARE 11, does anyone do anything to help the program?
              Mike Max had Noora and Westy on "Rosen Sports Sunday" on WCCO last night. But yes, your point is valid.

Comment

So where are we? ... Of the things they can control, what needs to improve for Minnesota to be a factor in the NCAA tournament?
                ARM -- Fully concur with everything you said.

Fan support -- Dave, you're off the hook on this one, given we've been provided with visual evidence of your involvement.
                Thanks (I think ). What we really need is to get some U. students (additional to the band) at the game, however unlikely that is to happen.

Mike Max had Noora and Westy on "Rosen Sports Sunday" on WCCO last night.
                That video is available on WCCO.com for anyone that missed it.

Comment

Congrats to Noora Räty for being named to the Patty Kazmaier Award top three!

See the Patty Kaz thread for more details.

Comment

Gophersports release on Noora making Kaz final 3.

Comment

Pictures from the Double OT game Saturday

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

Time for a history lesson :

It was 10 years ago when the Gophers lost to UMD in the WCHA championship game, faced UMD again in the national (then-AWCHA) semifinal and beat them, and went on to win the national championship game.

It would really be nice for history to repeat itself.

Comment

I just read the Brausen/Ms. Hockey story on Gophersports.com. Interesting that this is the 3rd or 4th place I've seen the same error--they mention that Brausen is the 3rd Roseville player to win the award, following Winny and Ronda--omitting Renee Curtin. Renee would have been in the Gopher's class of 2005, as if that team weren't loaded enough!
                          Wildly unscientific personal opinion: Renee Curtin was the best girls' hockey player ever to play for Roseville HS. Still holds the Minnesota HS career scoring title, something like 550 points. I'm sure it's not true that she's being forgotten, hopefully it's just a slip.

Comment

Originally posted by capitalist View Post
                            Renee would have been in the Gopher's class of 2005, as if that team weren't loaded enough!
                            She would have potentially made a huge difference in 2001-02 and 02-03, teams that wound up thin at forward.

Originally posted by capitalist View Post
                            I'm sure it's not true that she's being forgotten, hopefully it's just a slip.
                            She does appear in the paragraph below that lists all winners, so it must have just been a slip in extracting the Roseville-specific Ms. Hockeys. She also is listed in the Gopher media guide under Gopher Ms. Hockey winners, but w/o a photo, because she was never able to suit up. I wonder if she was omitted in the official "Let's Play Hockey" press release?

Comment

Great pics. I see you got one of LaRocque's game tying goal with 17 seconds left. I got one too:

Rocky's game-tying goal
                              "Great moments are born from great opportunities." -- Herb Brooks

Ohio State Women's Club Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by CammieBuckeye View Post
                                Great pics. I see you got one of LaRocque's game tying goal with 17 seconds left. I got one too:

Rocky's game-tying goal
                                I just wish Francis and Davis hadn't skated into my focus zone (center-spot on the 50D) and taken the focus

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

Working...
                                X