• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recruiting Drafted Players vs Free Agents

Point taken.

Comment

I'm guessing the concern for undrafted players is based on what happened to Stu Bickel for MN (and I'm sure others). His freshman year, he showed he had the size for the NHL, but I would stay still needed to work on his skills. The potential was there. If he had been drafted, that team would likely have been fine to leave him in college for longer to develop. However, it was first come-first serve at the time. If any team waited, they risked another team taking him so it was better to let him develop in their system than wait and let another team grab him. So the problem isn't strictly 30 v 1, more appropriately it is the difference between competition among 30 teams v 1 who has his rights.
      Last edited by Koho; 08-05-2009, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Chris Hickey (drafted by Minnesota in '06) might be another example. I don't remember when he committed to UW.

So there are more examples of this than I thought (and that's even when I discount Weircioch as being a different story). I still wonder how many drafted college players were drafted before they committed. Even if we name a dozen more, the percentage still has to be pretty low, don't you think?
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

As I would not consider Wiecioch an example of what we're talking about at all and in light of the level of contributor that brought us Gifford and York - no less than Puck Swami and Ralph Baer, and I mean that sincerely - I don't think there are half-a-dozen more out there.

But, as proven here, I can possibly be wr, wr, not right about that!

Comment

Originally posted by grantfan View Post
            Point taken.
            I knew there were ones out there, but didn't have the time or inkling to find out who, but I knew other posters would bail me out. Though I'd agree Wiercioch doesn't count... it would have to be someone drafted before they committed to any college, regardless of if they ended up playing for them.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
            I still wonder how many drafted college players were drafted before they committed. Even if we name a dozen more, the percentage still has to be pretty low, don't you think?
            Nobody's saying the number isn't low... percentage wise, its gotta be tiny. I was just saying the number wasn't zero.
            tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

And you were correct.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                Chris Hickey (drafted by Minnesota in '06) might be another example. I don't remember when he committed to UW.

So there are more examples of this than I thought (and that's even when I discount Weircioch as being a different story). I still wonder how many drafted college players were drafted before they committed. Even if we name a dozen more, the percentage still has to be pretty low, don't you think?
                Yes, but there is a big difference between getting a commitment from a player who is ranked to be taken in the top few rounds and therefore, even though they aren't drafted until after the commitment, are pretty much assured they will be, and players who are way down on the scouting lists or not on them and therefore unlikely to be drafted. My guess is that is more the situation referred to in the quote. There are a lot of players committing who, even though they haven't officially been drafted, I'd bet my house on their being drafted.

Comment

Do that many undrafted players leave early due to a pro signing?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Do that many undrafted players leave early due to a pro signing?
                    Probably more than one thinks. Just the kids with Minnesota hometowns in the past 3 years would be:

Jack Hillen - Colorado College - New York Islanders
                    Stu Bickel - Minnesota - Anaheim Ducks
                    Brian Connelly - Colorado College - Chicago Blackhawks
                    Trevor Bruess - Minnesota State - Washington Capitals
                    Danny Sexton - Bowling Green - Anaheim Ducks

There are probably more.
                    Last edited by observer85; 08-06-2009, 03:43 PM.
                    Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

Originally posted by observer85 View Post
                      Probably more than one thinks. Just the kids with Minnesota hometowns in the past 3 years would be:

Jack Hillen - Colorado College - New York Islanders
                      Stu Bickel - Minnesota - Anaheim Ducks
                      Brian Connelly - Colorado College - Chicago Blackhawks
                      Trevor Bruess - Minnesota State - Washington Capitals
                      Danny Sexton - Bowling Green - Anaheim Ducks

There are probably more.
                      But is it enough of an occurrence to regularly put a coach in a tough spot decision wise?

Comment

At UW, John Mitchell has been getting offers in each of the last two offseasons, and that's been part of the over-recruiting at forward for this season because we didn't know he'd be back.

We lost Joe Piskula in 2006 to a free agent deal.

That's all I can think of for now for the past few years at UW.
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                          Ran across an interesting quote in the Denver Post from DU assistant coach Derek Lalonde:

“In this new era of the CBA, when it doesn’t cost much to sign a free agent, we want guys drafted so we can work with the team that has their rights,” DU assistant coach Derek Lalonde told me. “If Tyler Bozak was drafted, which he should have been, he might have been playing another year at the University of Denver, instead of being lured by the highest bidder. NHL teams have been good to drafted college players. They let them develop. Lot of time in the weight room.”
                          I dunno, Tyler Bozak is a pretty complete player. Just think of the stats he would have put up this past season had he not been hurt. Also, even at like 80-90 percent he was the best player on the ice for DU last year against Miami.
                          Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                          Eric's Twitter
                          The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Working...
                          X