This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: COVID-19 - Part 2

Thanks Chuck for doing the hard and dirty work of digging out these facts over a long drawn out Covid timeline. Much appreciated
    I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

An odd turn, suddenly we're talking about the World Health Organization.

Help me out Chuck, what is the new Right wing talking point supposed to tell us?
      Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-29-2020, 06:39 PM.
      The Souza record:
      15-16 10th place
      16-17 10th place
      17-18 11th place
      18-19 8th place
      19-20 9th place
      20-21 10th place
      21-22 9th place
      22-23 10th place

Comment

Another addendum to post #279, and a supplement to post #2069, more on our "friends" at WHO, courtesy of Australian reporter Rita Panahi (embedded video included):

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethba...irus-n2565898?

"I want to talk about China's culpability and conduct throughout the coronavirus crisis that began in Wuhan wet market. The Chinese Communist regime not only lied, destroyed evidence and allowed the virus to spread, but it arrested doctors who, back in December, tried to warn the world about what was happening in Wuhan," she explained. "Some of the whistleblowers arrested and accused of fabricating, disseminating, and spreading rumors have since died. Other domestic critics, from a property tycoon to video bloggers have vanished."

"China is not a regime that tolerates dissent," Panahi explained. "China's initial cover-up included destroying lab samples that established, in December, the cause of unexplained viral infections in the Hubei province. How many lives would have been saved if China had listened to experts instead of silencing them?"

A study carried out by the University of South Hampton (UK?) showed that China could have prevented 95 percent of Wuhan coronavirus infections "if it would have implemented tough measures just three weeks earlier." Instead of being proactive, the regime waited another month before taking action.

"What's just as shocking is the World Health Organization's complicity in this global pandemic," she said. "From the start, the WHO has unequivocally praised China's response and pushed its absurd narratives while ignoring the regime's dishonesty and recklessness."

Panahi reminded viewers that back in January, the WHO shared a tweet citing Chinese health official's who claimed there was no evidence the virus transmitted through human-to-human contact.

"[The WHO] refused to declare a pandemic until March 11th. And, as late as February, it was parroting China in criticizing travel restrictions," she said. "Don't forget that when (Australian Prime Minister) Scott Morrison and Donald Trump implemented travel bans against China in late January, they did so against WHO's advice."

Now for some potentially - potentially - encouraging news on the hydroxychloroquine front …

https://townhall.com/columnists/kevi...e-way-n2565926

In this column’s space and much more liberally on my Twitter feed I have attempted to stay up-to-date on the rapidly developing reports of the effectiveness of Hydroxychloroquine. I’ve also dedicated a considerable percentage of my radio show over the last two weeks highlighting these developments.

It’s strange that I should need to.

… (omitted some potentially partisan stuff - you can check the link for full content/context)

The willingness by anyone of either political party to weaponize an actual solution or series of solutions to COVID-19 is utterly inhuman.

The author goes on to list several recent changes in position from prominent doctors and countries more willing to explore the use of hydroxychloroquine in combination with other medicine(s) as a treatment, which seem to signal a growing acceptance of further exploration of this potential remedy, while the important work on preventive measures continues exhaustively in labs all around the world.

I suspect we've got an interesting week coming at us … lots of discussion about short-term remedies like this, more discussion of finding the right times for re-opening up the country's economy, likely in stages, with or without geographic splits, and with lots of emotions and politics thrown in on top of it all. Continuing to hope to see light at the end of the tunnel - THEN we deal with the bad guys on the other side of the world who brought this down upon us all.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

The great John Prine's family reports that he is in critical condition with Covid-19...Make me an angel, that flies from Montgomery. Make me a poster...of an old rodeo. One of my favorite songs that Bonnie Raitt does...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3qr4xi0RTk

I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
            An odd turn, suddenly we're talking about the World Health Organization.

Help me out Chuck, what is the new Right wing talking point supposed to tell us?
            An odd turn indeed … about 90% of your original post, inclusive of "left-wing talking points" from the Washington Post and The Atlantic, with other hearsay, has disappeared. OK it's your editorial decision.

If you insist on apportioning any blame downstream of China and its enablers at WHO, I thought I was clear in saying there's a lot to go around. Both sides. I posted way more than so-called "talking points". Had I gone with "talking points", that timeline would have been three times as long as it is.

I didn't think it was all that complicated or controversial. China started it, the WHO enabled (and arguably is still enabling) them, US domestic politics were focused elsewhere (for what now look like very trivial reasons), and Trump was the first of two leaders who started and led with the travel ban to/from China. And whatever the level of the ban was, it was more than anyone else was doing, including Canada and the entirety of Europe (maybe excepting Germany - I don't know?). From that point forward, if you insist on throwing stones inside a glass house, then literally everyone is fair game.

One thing that surprised me in a favorable way was your citing of Tucker Carlson (Fox). I frankly wasn't aware, so if you want to re-post that, I'll leave that up to you.

Comment

IIt's all Jina's fault!! I take no responsibility at all.

And his enablers rejoice.

Comment

Somebody's got some 'splaining to do. How was this going to be just 15 people? Now, it's a positive that we could 'only lose 100 to 200k'? I'm sorry, please explain. Just read too that in the 'early days' of all of this, White House officials have been quoted to say 'we thought we could just ride it out'. That...is why we are here now. We need those rapid tests PRONTO! And don't get me going on the 'mask conspiracy'. Sorry, I like myself better when I'm NOT listening to this stuff. Over and out. Tomorrow is a big day greeting 80 new students. See ya 'round. And for the love of Pete, wash your hands and STAY HOME (if you can....)
                Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-29-2020, 08:38 PM.
                I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

This guy does a nice job, a little crudely, but it gets the point across. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0-2...sbTUwntJ4mmD4k
                  YALE HOCKEY
                  2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                    This guy does a nice job, a little crudely, but it gets the point across.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0-2...sbTUwntJ4mmD4k
                    Great. Another lecture from an old hippie who has no understanding whatsoever for the loss of jobs, loss of careers, loss of small businesses, and yes … the unaccounted for loss of life from non-COVID-19 causes, with a rapid rise in suicide rates already being reported from various areas of the country. Yet we have pensioners like this jerk … lecturing real working people, slogging through the prime years of their earning lives, to "shut it down and take the hit" when they're not the target at-risk demographic … in turn saving the pensioners/retirees, who ARE the target at-risk demographic, while the latter group's pension/retirement checks go uninterrupted.

If that was me, being lucky enough to have gotten to the clubhouse of my career just in time, I'd like to think I'd be grateful and sympathetic to those not so fortunate, from a set of circumstances that neither the current nor past work forces had control over.

To call this guy (and others like him) an ingrate would be far too kind. FAR too kind …

Comment

For every person doing their part and staying home to help end this nightmare, there are idiots that continue to gather in groups. As such the spread will continue more than it would otherwise, and people will keep dying, not getting paychecks, losing more jobs, etc.
                      Last edited by Slap Shot; 03-30-2020, 02:33 AM.

Comment

FDA issues emergency authorization of anti-malaria drug for coronavirus care
                        https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...ia-drug-155095

The Food and Drug Administration on Sunday (yesterday) issued an emergency use authorization for hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine, decades-old malaria drugs ..... The agency allowed for the drugs to be "donated to the Strategic National Stockpile to be distributed and prescribed by doctors to hospitalized teen and adult patients with COVID-19, as appropriate, when a clinical trial is not available or feasible," HHS said in a statement, announcing that Sandoz donated 30 million doses of hydroxychloroquine to the stockpile and Bayer donated 1 million doses of chloroquine. FDA already has allowed New York state to test administering the medication to seriously ill patients, and some hospitals have added it to their treatment protocols. "Let's see how it works," Trump said at a press briefing on Sunday, referencing New York state's efforts. "It may. It may not."

A lot of folks, who are so blinded by their hatred of Trump, will be really disappointed if it works.
                        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

• Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                          This guy does a nice job, a little crudely, but it gets the point across. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0-2...sbTUwntJ4mmD4k
                          This F bomb song bombs!
                          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Some compelling insight confirming those paragons of transparency in totalitarian Communist China have likely been "fudging the numbers" just a wee bit (as in +2,000%) on their reported deaths …

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahba...igure-n2565953

I know … you're shocked … just like I am …

Residents of Wuhan, China, even know the government is lying about the death toll from COVID-19, and they’ve figured out as much based on the number of urns funeral homes have been returned to families.

The city has seven large funeral homes, and each has been returning the cremated remains of approximately 500 people to their families every day, and yet, the official government figures put the total death count around 2,500.

Seven funeral homes currently serve Wuhan -- a huge conurbation of three cities: Hankou, Wuchang and Hanyang.

Social media users have been doing some basic math to figure out their daily capacity, while the news website Caixin.com reported that 5,000 urns had been delivered by a supplier to the Hankou Funeral Home in one day alone -- double the official number of deaths.

Some social media posts have estimated that all seven funeral homes in Wuhan are handing out 3,500 urns every day in total.

Funeral homes have informed families that they will try to complete cremations before the traditional grave-tending festival of Qing Ming on April 5, which would indicate a 12-day process beginning on March 23.

Such an estimate would mean that 42,000 urns would be given out during that time.

How the idiots running that country figured to slip this past a populace that - when allowed to take the test to get into American colleges - posts more perfect 800 math SAT scores per capita than anywhere else in the world … stark raving bonkers clueless.

Sorry to disappoint the China apologists out there, but this means the US is back down to a (very distant) #2. I think you guys suspected this anyway. It's basically turning out that COVID-19 is going to be China's "Chernobyl", with one key difference.

https://townhall.com/columnists/josh...obyl-n2565802?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              Great. Another lecture from an old hippie who has no understanding whatsoever for the loss of jobs, loss of careers, loss of small businesses, and yes … the unaccounted for loss of life from non-COVID-19 causes, with a rapid rise in suicide rates already being reported from various areas of the country. Yet we have pensioners like this jerk … lecturing real working people, slogging through the prime years of their earning lives, to "shut it down and take the hit" when they're not the target at-risk demographic … in turn saving the pensioners/retirees, who ARE the target at-risk demographic, while the latter group's pension/retirement checks go uninterrupted.

If that was me, being lucky enough to have gotten to the clubhouse of my career just in time, I'd like to think I'd be grateful and sympathetic to those not so fortunate, from a set of circumstances that neither the current nor past work forces had control over.

To call this guy (and others like him) an ingrate would be far too kind. FAR too kind …
                              Chuck "Grumpy" Murray.
                              Last edited by Darius; 03-30-2020, 08:51 AM.
                              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                Some compelling insight confirming those paragons of transparency in totalitarian Communist China have likely been "fudging the numbers" just a wee bit (as in +2,000%) on their reported deaths …

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahba...igure-n2565953

I know … you're shocked … just like I am …

Residents of Wuhan, China, even know the government is lying about the death toll from COVID-19, and they’ve figured out as much based on the number of urns funeral homes have been returned to families.

The city has seven large funeral homes, and each has been returning the cremated remains of approximately 500 people to their families every day, and yet, the official government figures put the total death count around 2,500.

Seven funeral homes currently serve Wuhan -- a huge conurbation of three cities: Hankou, Wuchang and Hanyang.

Social media users have been doing some basic math to figure out their daily capacity, while the news website Caixin.com reported that 5,000 urns had been delivered by a supplier to the Hankou Funeral Home in one day alone -- double the official number of deaths.

Some social media posts have estimated that all seven funeral homes in Wuhan are handing out 3,500 urns every day in total.

Funeral homes have informed families that they will try to complete cremations before the traditional grave-tending festival of Qing Ming on April 5, which would indicate a 12-day process beginning on March 23.

Such an estimate would mean that 42,000 urns would be given out during that time.

How the idiots running that country figured to slip this past a populace that - when allowed to take the test to get into American colleges - posts more perfect 800 math SAT scores per capita than anywhere else in the world … stark raving bonkers clueless.

Sorry to disappoint the China apologists out there, but this means the US is back down to a (very distant) #2. I think you guys suspected this anyway. It's basically turning out that COVID-19 is going to be China's "Chernobyl", with one key difference.

https://townhall.com/columnists/josh...obyl-n2565802?
                                Go to China. Ask random citizens what happened at Tiananmen Square in 1989.
                                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Working...
                                X