SLU Skating Saints Hockey '18-'19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wildcatcard View Post
    My take between it is simple. At Clarkson you have a Prez, AD that support hockey! You run a D1 program different than a D3, even though you are in a D3 school. Tech gets its. SLU management for what ever reason chooses not to run it like that.
    BTW, we've changed AD. Steve Y is retiring and being replaced by Scott Smalling. I don't forsee a change in course.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: SLU Skating Saints Hockey '18-'19

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      Many years ago, I posted that the Saints used to be called the Larries. I have several old RPI programs that used that nickname. I was told that Larries was never actually their nickname. Is that true? Personally, I like the name Larries better, but it is not for me to decide.
      I was a student assistant in the Northeastern Sports Information Office back in an ancient day and did much of the NU workup for the 1964 ECAC Christmas Tournament at Madison Sq. Garden. The field included NU, PC, Brown and St Lawrence, which--at least at that time--was universally known as the "Larries." BTW, NU beat the Larries, Friars, and Bears, in that order, to win the tournament
      Last edited by Split-N; 05-17-2019, 08:27 AM.
      "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Many years ago, I posted that the Saints used to be called the Larries. I have several old RPI programs that used that nickname. I was told that Larries was never actually their nickname. Is that true? Personally, I like the name Larries better, but it is not for me to decide.
        SLU was never actually that. It's like calling RPI "Tute" or Brown "Bruno" ... it's just a thing old sportswriters used to write to sound hip in the 1940s.

Comment

Trust me--we were the Larries. My frat had a Homecoming float one year that we called "Camp Larry." It had kids playground equipment on it--I was on the swing set. My brother & roommate Bob was on a seesaw. And BTW, I was at MSG for that Xmas Tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyFanClub View Post
            SLU was never actually that. It's like calling RPI "Tute" or Brown "Bruno" ... it's just a thing old sportswriters used to write to sound hip in the 1940s.
            No it's not. They were the Larries. Nobody called them the Saints until, oh, I forget exactly, but I'd say sometime in the early 70s.
            Canton High School '76
            SLU '81
            KSLU game broadcasts '80-'81
            SLU fan '63-infinity

Comment

Originally posted by SluStatsMan View Post
              No it's not. They were the Larries. Nobody called them the Saints until, oh, I forget exactly, but I'd say sometime in the early 70s.
              I just checked Bob Graham's book on SLU hockey history, and it gives conflicting accounts of the name change. It says the Saints nickname "became official around" 67-68, driven by the class of 68 popularizing it. But later it says the Saints nickname "received formal recognition before the start of the 1975-76 campaign". So, if you average those out, I guess my estimate of the early 70s was pretty good!
              Canton High School '76
              SLU '81
              SLU fan '63-infinity

Comment

• Originally posted by SluStatsMan View Post
                I left CCT in 1978. You were still Larries to us.

Can somebody ask Wally?
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  We were definitely the Saints by then, but still with a lot of vestigial Larries references -- similar to Canada's metric conversion!

Can somebody ask Wally?
                  You're in the Facebook group -- you can ask him yourself!
                  Canton High School '76
                  SLU '81
                  SLU fan '63-infinity

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyFanClub View Post
                    I am not that old. I was referring to the 1960s.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Can somebody ask Wally?
                      I left in 75 and the Larries is what I remember.
                      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Larries seems like a better name to me than Saints for a secular college.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Amen, Brother!

Comment

Larries seems like a better name to me than Saints for a secular college.
                            Although the SLU faithful that I know do consider Joe Marsh to be a Saint.
                            Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                            And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                            WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                            If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

I am not that old. I was referring to the 1960s.
                              I know - I meant in terms of its origin.

Comment

https://***********/MarkDivver/statu...42739549630464

Comment

Working...
                                X