2019 Elections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    The school board is officially a non-partisan election here. Can they do that?
    Yes, non partisan just means the ballots don't list party affiliation. Doesn't trump 1st amendment rights of anyone else.

Comment

Re: 2019 Elections

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      SurveyMonkey

The most badly biased polls:

5.1 D SurveyMonkey
      Isn't SurveyMonkey not a true poll (and shouldn't even be considered as such) as it's self-selected respondents and not scientifically sampled/adjusted?
      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
        Isn't SurveyMonkey not a true poll (and shouldn't even be considered as such) as it's self-selected respondents and not scientifically sampled/adjusted?
        It's an online tool that different entities partner with and which occasionally announces its own surveys to advertise itself. I've seen it reported non-critically in many places, particularly on liberal sites when it gives them ammunition for a narrative. Terrible methodology.

It's similar to Rasmussen in that they realize they are loaded on house effect and they don't correct for it because their discriminator is they are useful to one side.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Sure, VA does it too. Non-partisan only means the state (the ballot) can't list the party, but the parties can always endorse. 1A FTW!
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The parties in Michigan endorse "non-partisan" judicial candidates every cycle.

Comment

“At this time the Office of Secretary of State has not been notified of an upcoming election for your precinct.”
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Most important contest tonight for me is VA legislature. Really close to elimination last vestige of knuckledragger power in the state and will be able to completely redraw the lines after 2020. Could pick up a couple of Congressional seats depending on how badly they want to screw the GOP and enact some much needed progressive legislation. Its a bad night if they fail to pick up both chambers, and a good night if they do regardless of KY or MS.

If they win in KY, its a very good night. Will prove that the party still has some staying power here unlike say WV.

If they win in MS, look for a flood of retirements to be announced tomorrow morning on the Republican side.
                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                  Most important contest tonight for me is VA legislature. Really close to elimination last vestige of knuckledragger power in the state and will be able to completely redraw the lines after 2020. Could pick up a couple of Congressional seats depending on how badly they want to screw the GOP and enact some much needed progressive legislation. Its a bad night if they fail to pick up both chambers, and a good night if they do regardless of KY or MS.

If they win in KY, its a very good night. Will prove that the party still has some staying power here unlike say WV.

If they win in MS, look for a flood of retirements to be announced tomorrow morning on the Republican side.
                  Kentucky hates their Governor. Makes you wonder why they elected the ******** in the first place.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I've been reading that if the Democrats take control of the state's legislature, there will likely be enough votes for the state to finally pass the ERA. They would be the 38th state to ratify it, making it the 28th Amendment to the US Constitution.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I've been reading that if the Democrats take control of the state's legislature, there will likely be enough votes for the state to finally pass the ERA. They would be the 38th state to ratify it, making it the 28th Amendment to the US Constitution.
                      But won't it will be locked up in the courts for years over the battle of whether ratification votes can expire?
                      Code:
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        But won't it will be locked up in the courts for years over the battle of whether ratification votes can expire?
                        I don't know anything about ratification votes expiring. That's not come up in anything I've read.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I'm paying attention to Danica Roem's battle tonight. She's an inspiration to me, and she's been the target of a whole bunch of anti-trans attack ads.
                          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                          Patreon for exclusive writing content
                          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

I don't know anything about ratification votes expiring. That's not come up in anything I've read.
                            I think the amendment has to be written with an expiration date in it. We used to have 26 amendments but the 27th amendment went through quietly in 1992 despite being one of the first proposed...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty...s_Constitution
                            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              I don't think expiration is the problem. IIRC, there are states which want to rescind their passage because the Christian Taliban got control of the state leg afterwards. There is no provision for rescinding. This Court would obviously decide however would benefit the GOP more.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Edit 2: So I was mistaken on the issue. It wasn't about expiration of a ratification, it was whether a deadline in a congressional resolution can be enforced(?) and if so, how. I think...

From Wiki:
                                Congress had originally set a ratification deadline of March 22, 1979, for the state legislatures to consider the ERA. Through 1977, the amendment received 35 of the necessary 38 state ratifications.[note 1] With wide, bipartisan support (including that of both major political parties, both houses of Congress, and Presidents Nixon, Ford and Carter)[5] the ERA seemed destined for ratification until Phyllis Schlafly mobilized conservative women in opposition. These women argued that the ERA would disadvantage housewives, cause women to be drafted into the military and to lose protections such as alimony, and eliminate the tendency for mothers to obtain custody over their children in divorce cases.[6] Many labor feminists also opposed the ERA on the basis that it would eliminate protections for women in labor law, though over time more and more unions and labor feminist leaders turned toward supporting it.

Five state legislatures (Idaho, Kentucky, Nebraska, Tennessee, and South Dakota) voted to revoke their ERA ratifications. Four claim to have rescinded their ratifications before the original March 22, 1979, ratification deadline, while the South Dakota legislature did so by voting to sunset its ratification as of that original deadline. However, it remains a legal question as to whether a state can revoke its ratification of a federal constitutional amendment.

In 1978, Congress passed (by simple majorities in each house), and President Carter signed, a joint resolution with the intent of extending the ratification deadline to June 30, 1982. Because no additional state legislatures ratified the ERA between March 22, 1979, and June 30, 1982, the validity of that disputed extension was rendered academic.[7] Since 1978, attempts have been made in Congress to extend or remove the deadline.

Edit: And this entire section:
                                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_...te_strategy%22
                                Last edited by dxmnkd316; 11-05-2019, 02:59 PM.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X