D1 transfer rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D1 transfer rules

For some reason, I am under the impression that D1 women student/athlete hockey players can transfer from one school to another and play immediately, compared to me who have to sit out a
    season under normal conditions. Is this assumption true? Has it always been that way since Title 9? If it has changed, when and why? Thanks.

Re: D1 transfer rules

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
    For some reason, I am under the impression that D1 women student/athlete hockey players can transfer from one school to another and play immediately, compared to me who have to sit out a
    season under normal conditions. Is this assumption true? Has it always been that way since Title 9? If it has changed, when and why? Thanks.
    It's mostly true because the NCAA still considers women's hockey a developing sport.

However, some conferences -- like the WCHA -- require the one-year "sit out" for within-conference transfers. Such was the case for the Rachel Drazen when she went from UMD to Minnesota, the Lamoureux twins when they went from Minnesota to North Dakota, and Steph Anderson will sit out this coming season after transferring from Minnesota to Bemidji State.
    Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
    Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
    Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Yipes...............'s bad enough that women get that advantage, but to have different women's leagues have different rules is alarming. IMO, the NCAA should either allow both men & women a "window of opportunity" some time before Thanksgiving a of a student/athletes Fresman season to transfer once and play immediately, or expand the allowable recruiting contacts beyond the
      present four times. That will allow both the college & recruit more time to get to know each other and insure a good fit. From personal experience, four times isn't enough to be sure!

Comment

IMO, the NCAA should either allow both men & women a "window of opportunity" some time before Thanksgiving a of a student/athletes Fresman season to transfer once and play immediately, or expand the allowable recruiting contacts beyond the present four times. That will allow both the college & recruit more time to get to know each other and insure a good fit. From personal experience, four times isn't enough to be sure!
        The limitation on contacts is imposed on the school; a student athlete may initiate contact earlier or additional times. The rules aren't designed to prevent the student from learning more about the school and/or program, but to moderate to some extent the number of recruiting efforts that a highly-sought player will receive from multiple schools.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I don't know that allowing a transfer after the current season has begun to jump and play immediately, so to speak, would be a positive for the sport.
          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Brookyoyone........so you think it would be better to have a student/athlete who has made a bad decision and is at the wrong school to wollow in misery rather than correct the problem immediately? I don't.

Comment

Brookyoyone........so you think it would be better to have a student/athlete who has made a bad decision and is at the wrong school to wollow in misery rather than correct the problem immediately? I don't.
              No, I don't think I said that. The student athlete should certainly leave the team / school if they're wallowing in misery as you put it. Jump to another team and play immediately? Don't agree with that aspect of your suggestion. I guess I feel there needs to be a level of accountability from the student athlete myself...where I don't see sitting as unreasonable. I don't believe the WCHA imposes a sit rule so that the student athlete wallows in misery for a predetermined length of time. Besides also thinking there's a potential for abuse or just transfers under your proposal more common then would be ideal for the sport and competition. I'd be fine if they allowed the player to play the following season without sitting as well but think any policy should be universal across all conferences...just not the same season as their transfer though.

Needs to be some accountability for that decision...requiring due diligence before making that decision. A little bit of a life lesson aspect to that process as well.
              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

I agree with Brooky.

There should NOT be more freedom of movement as you are suggesting. It creates more problems than it solves. If a student athlete decides one month into a season that they are in the "Wrong spot", they should not be allowed to jump ship to another team right away. Instead, they can focus on school, still be a good citizen and be part of the team in a supporting role, and use the rest of the year to evaluate options for the following year(s), rather than make a rushed decision that you may regret later. Often the grass is not greener somewhere else either.

There is also the question of taking accountability for your own decisions. If you make the wrong one, a great way to learn how to deal with it properly rather than just bailing on the first sign of disappointment.

A few years ago there was a case of a parent of an incoming rookie questioning "on here" what the coach was doing in August, prior to the start of the freshman season of said player. It turned into a smear campaign against the coach. Still to this day it disgusts me that people stoop to that level.
                Last edited by OnMAA; 07-30-2012, 03:50 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

In my opinion...Shame on any coach who would allow a transfer to play after transferring into a season. Should sit out the year.

Comment

How does everyone feel about a transfer from a D1 program to a D3 program? Should the player be allowed to play immediately upon transferring, have to sit out the remainder of that year, or have to sit out a full year?

Comment

Originally posted by DedicatedFan View Post
                      How does everyone feel about a transfer from a D1 program to a D3 program? Should the player be allowed to play immediately upon transferring, have to sit out the remainder of that year, or have to sit out a full year?
                      Same rules apply in my opinion.

What I find interesting here is that most of these questions are only focusing on the hockey side of the ledger. Mid-semester transfers, academically speaking, are not possible (I am presuming this to be accurate as I have never heard of an instance where it was possible, given different course curriculum etc.). That being said, if a a mid season transfer were to occur, at best the player would only be eligible to play at the beginning of the next semester at the earliest as they would not be enrolled in the school until that time.

I agree with WCHFan that said no coach should accept a transfer under those circumstances.

Cali
                      ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
                        Same rules apply in my opinion.

What I find interesting here is that most of these questions are only focusing on the hockey side of the ledger. Mid-semester transfers, academically speaking, are not possible (I am presuming this to be accurate as I have never heard of an instance where it was possible, given different course curriculum etc.). That being said, if a a mid season transfer were to occur, at best the player would only be eligible to play at the beginning of the next semester at the earliest as they would not be enrolled in the school until that time.

I agree with WCHFan that said no coach should accept a transfer under those circumstances.

Cali
                        I have seen midyear (December break) transfers from D1 to D3 in the past. There was one two seasons ago. IIRC, player was allowed to practice with the new team, but could not play. The example from two years ago was a third year player.

There are also examples of players transferring that no longer have a scholly after a year or two. For example a player that is offered a 2 for 4, but is not renewed after year two. Those transfers usually happen over the summer months.

Personally think that only out of season transfers should be allowed.
                        Last edited by OnMAA; 07-30-2012, 03:50 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                          I don't know that allowing a transfer after the current season has begun to jump and play immediately, so to speak, would be a positive for the sport.
                          That is permitted in D3 in all sport in which the season extends over more thane one academic term
                          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by DedicatedFan View Post
                            They can play immediately after the end of the academic term at both schools.
                            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                              They can play immediately after the end of the academic term at both schools.
                              By "academic term," do you mean end of that semester or end of that school year? If you mean end of the semester, I think it then also becomes dependent upon whether the D3 league allows the player to play the remainder of the season with the D3 team in that league.

Comment

Working...
                              X