Ohio State Buckeyes 2019-2020: Muzzling All Detractors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2019-2020: Muzzling All Detractors

As expected, the Buckeyes dropped to 9th in the PairWise. Ouch. That's what happens when you don't take care of business against teams you are supposed to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
      That's what happens when you don't take care of business against teams you are supposed to beat.
      The week-in, week-out grind is almost like that: a business. OSU likely got sky high to host defending champ UW. Most teams do get up for No. 1. But a team can't stay there for five months. It isn't possible. Yes, you can focus on the current series and try to take care of that "business", but there isn't the same level of excitement, particularly come right after an "up" week.

If you didn't have Muzz, who definitely helped to create the emotional tone of the team when she was part of the Gophers' staff, that's a big piece of the puzzle. In terms of coaching strategy, that leaves your staff of McMillen and West to go up against Harrington and his assistants, all of whom have a lot more coaching experience than your two assistants do. Maybe coming away with a tie both days wasn't the worst result. It's certainly better than UMD did in Bemidji.

After yesterday, I've now seen the "supposed" bottom two teams in the WCHA, MSU and SCSU. Both will struggle to score at times, but neither is a bad team. The bottom half of the league is going to spring some upsets on the top half, and as fans, we're going to have to accept that. Minnesota looks very good in the early going, but I don't see the Gophers running the table on all of SCSU, MSU, and BSU this year.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        The week-in, week-out grind is almost like that: a business. OSU likely got sky high to host defending champ UW. Most teams do get up for No. 1. But a team can't stay there for five months. It isn't possible. Yes, you can focus on the current series and try to take care of that "business", but there isn't the same level of excitement, particularly come right after an "up" week.

If you didn't have Muzz, who definitely helped to create the emotional tone of the team when she was part of the Gophers' staff, that's a big piece of the puzzle. In terms of coaching strategy, that leaves your staff of McMillen and West to go up against Harrington and his assistants, all of whom have a lot more coaching experience than your two assistants do. Maybe coming away with a tie both days wasn't the worst result. It's certainly better than UMD did in Bemidji.

After yesterday, I've now seen the "supposed" bottom two teams in the WCHA, MSU and SCSU. Both will struggle to score at times, but neither is a bad team. The bottom half of the league is going to spring some upsets on the top half, and as fans, we're going to have to accept that. Minnesota looks very good in the early going, but I don't see the Gophers running the table on all of SCSU, MSU, and BSU this year.
        ARM, if you ever make it to Columbus, I will have to buy you a beverage. I figure it's the least I can do for all these times you have talked me off the ledge after rough weekends for my girls. I am concerned about Coach because no one seems to know where she was. I hope everything is alright with her and her family. She is the best thing that has ever happened to our program. Hopefully she is back on the bench next weekend as we will need her against the Gophers.

Comment

• Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
          I am concerned about Coach because no one seems to know where she was. I hope everything is alright with her and her family. She is the best thing that has ever happened to our program. Hopefully she is back on the bench next weekend as we will need her against the Gophers.
          If the players didn’t know why she wasn’t there, that had to be a huge distraction for them given she is so clearly their leader.

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
            If the players didn’t know why she wasn’t there, that had to be a huge distraction for them given she is so clearly their leader.
            Yeah, I might have to ease up on our team and give us a pass on these two ties against the Mavericks because I have not heard anything regarding why Coach was not present, and honestly, when your head coach is not there, that has to have an adverse effect on any team. I know I am always going on and on about how I wish we were at that level that Wisconsin and Minnesota were at where we don't lose to teams we are supposed to beat, but if I am honest about it, how would those teams do if they were without Brad Frost or Mark Johnson? Would their assistants be able to lead them to victories over other teams with the assistants in charge? If the answer to that question is yes, more power to them. Unfortunately for us Ohio State fans, that was not the case last weekend. As ARM said, based on those circumstances, I should probably be content with two ties this past weekend. The problem is, the PairWise doesn't care that we were without our head coach, and subsequently dropped us like a lead balloon after two ties against Minnesota State.

Comment

I know I am always going on and on about how I wish we were at that level that Wisconsin and Minnesota were at where we don't lose to teams we are supposed to beat, but if I am honest about it, how would those teams do if they were without Brad Frost or Mark Johnson? Would their assistants be able to lead them to victories over other teams with the assistants in charge?
              It's not a fair comparison for your team. Dan Koch (UW) and Joel Johnson (UM) each have many years experience coaching in the WCHA (and elsewhere). McMillen is just three years removed from her playing days, and its West's first year in Columbus. I remember the season after UMD had won the first three NCAA titles, Shannon Miller was suspended for the first game. So she skipped the series in Mankato entirely to go on a recruiting trip. The Mavericks weren't much good then, but the Bulldogs got swept.

In spite of what one reads in this forum, the coaches do add value to their teams.

Comment

Princeton, Cornell, and Clarkson all had less than expected results last year when their head coaches were away at Hockey Canada events. It happens. Easy for me to say as I’m not super invested in OSU but it’s still a cool opportunity for the assistants, and one would hope a head coach has the confidence to do it again if need be. I know a couple years ago Kennedy at BC coached for King when she was away for a funeral. Coaching is such an interesting industry and a willingness to put the assistants in charge once in a while makes it more family friendly and is a healthy example to the players. Hope all is ok with Muzerall, and the Buckeyes right the ship.

Comment

It's not a fair comparison for your team. Dan Koch (UW) and Joel Johnson (UM) each have many years experience coaching in the WCHA (and elsewhere). McMillen is just three years removed from her playing days, and its West's first year in Columbus. I remember the season after UMD had won the first three NCAA titles, Shannon Miller was suspended for the first game. So she skipped the series in Mankato entirely to go on a recruiting trip. The Mavericks weren't much good then, but the Bulldogs got swept.

In spite of what one reads in this forum, the coaches do add value to their teams.
                  You're right, that is probably not a fair comparison with our assistants being as young as they are. And I am sure your last statement is not directed at me as I have been a huge fan of Nadine's ever since she took over our program. She has taken this program to places we had never been before.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                    Princeton, Cornell, and Clarkson all had less than expected results last year when their head coaches were away at Hockey Canada events. It happens. Easy for me to say as I’m not super invested in OSU but it’s still a cool opportunity for the assistants, and one would hope a head coach has the confidence to do it again if need be. I know a couple years ago Kennedy at BC coached for King when she was away for a funeral. Coaching is such an interesting industry and a willingness to put the assistants in charge once in a while makes it more family friendly and is a healthy example to the players. Hope all is ok with Muzerall, and the Buckeyes right the ship.
                    Yeah, I am hoping we right the ship, too. I know the program has some lofty goals this season, just like they did last season, and I want to see them achieve their goals. And as ARM indicated, getting two ties on the road in Mankato isn't exactly the end of the world.

Comment

. And as ARM indicated, getting two ties on the road in Mankato isn't exactly the end of the world.
                      If UW or UM has 2 ties against Kato on the road there would be bodies floating down the Mississippi. I hate to say it, but this was as damaging as you thought it was.

Looking forward to this weekend's UM games with OSU. It will give me some insight into the following week's showdown in rodentapolis.

So no one knows where Muzzy was?
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        If UW or UM has 2 ties against Kato on the road there would be bodies floating down the Mississippi. I hate to say it, but this was as damaging as you thought it was.
                        No, it's not. Minnesota had a home loss to MSU the season it won its first NCAA title, and was still the No. 1 seed. The Gophers also won a championship in a year where they took only one point from a home series versus BSU, and then got bounced from the WCHA tourney by the Beavers.

UM has not, however, won a national crown in any season after getting swept at home by a cupcake-scheduling Wisco' team.

Comment

I have heard thru a tangled grapevine prior to this weekend that things are not so peachy at OSU hockey. Again prior to the 2 ties at MSU over last weekend.

BTW MSU has a couple of really nice players that they have added this season and there appears to be many more on the way the next couple of years. Do not discount that team too much for the ties. MSU is absolutely on the rise...

Comment

Originally posted by used2lurk View Post
                            I have heard thru a tangled grapevine prior to this weekend that things are not so peachy at OSU hockey. Again prior to the 2 ties at MSU over last weekend.

BTW MSU has a couple of really nice players that they have added this season and there appears to be many more on the way the next couple of years. Do not discount that team too much for the ties. MSU is absolutely on the rise...
                            We have seemed to rotate through associate head coaches the past several years for various reasons. Anything in the grapevine that the reasons for them leaving wasn't what was officially said?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                              We have seemed to rotate through associate head coaches the past several years for various reasons. Anything in the grapevine that the reasons for them leaving wasn't what was officially said?
                              Not just coaching, the entire team staff left this summer, including trainer(s), manager, etc.

I did hear there was a compliance investigation in the summer.

The only thing consistent with this program is turnover.

Comment

UM has not, however, won a national crown in any season after getting swept at home by a cupcake-scheduling Wisco' team.
                                A quick research project confirms what I suspected: NO TEAM EVER has won a national championship while attempting to integrate a former Patty Kaz-winning transfer into their lineup. Dark days on the horizon for Tim & Co., if history is a guide.

Comment

Working...
                                X