X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    Thanks K - its good to know that I'm not completely crazy, someone shares my view...(while I'd never put words in his mouth, I'm fairly certain RB is of like mind on this..)
    Considering that there are at least three reporters who have recently reported on the Colts (Kevin Gould, Greg Peerenboom, and Todd Hambleton), I would think that at least one would have done some digging.

This doesn't imply that either you or is not completely crazy.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by babo View Post
      Thursday, Cedar Rapids...not sure where...my source is sleeping instead of texting...
      Code:
      Jacob Laliberté      C Cornwall Colts (CHL)            2- 3- 2-  5-  0 09/16/10
      Luke Curadi         LD Dubuque Fighting Saints (USHL)  0- 0- 0-  0-  0 09/16/10

Women
      Brianna Piper        G Toronto Aeros (PWHL)
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The reporter's job is not to just "report scores"...any chimpanzee can download a boxscore. Journalists - the self respecting ones at least - detail the key plays and turning points, the scoring AND, if they haven't eaten too much free press box pizza, actually make an effort to provide the reader with some insight about the team they are covering, its players and coaches.
        _________
        So where is the chimpanzee with Dubuque's box score? Not that I really need to link it considering that BRO didn't play.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          Please correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the SF's last statement on the subject something to the effect of the profound "either he will be going to RPI or he won't in 2011"?
          I am not sure what the quote was from the article but they have mentioned he is going to RPI a few times. They do not even need to mention where players are going after they leave Cornwall if they do not want to. I know for sure the local writers here do not mention anything about where kids from this area are playing in the junior leagues. Heck they sometimes dont even mention the kids that are playing in college unless someone tells them.
          Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

The reporter's job is not to just "report scores"...any chimpanzee can download a boxscore. Journalists - the self respecting ones at least - detail the key plays and turning points, the scoring AND, if they haven't eaten too much free press box pizza, actually make an effort to provide the reader with some insight about the team they are covering, its players and coaches.
            _________
            I know that the reporters job is not to just report scores. It took Ed Weaver a journalist in Troy to get a quote out of JL about RPI. But how would JL going to RPI really make a big difference to the people who read the SF and who live in Cornwall and not Troy. They have acknowledged that JL is coming to RPI. Sure they never said what year or anything but they at least said he was moving on to the NCAA after his time in Cornwall is done. JL has said he is coming so as far as I am concerned the only reason I will read the SF now is to see how he did in his games, not worry about if he is showing up or not.
            Last edited by fishcore12; 09-12-2010, 08:00 PM.
            Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
              I know that the reporters job is not to just report scores. It took Ed Weaver a journalist in Troy to get a quote out of JL about RPI. But how would JL going to RPI really make a big difference to the people who read the SF and who live in Cornwall and not Troy. They have acknowledged that JL is coming to RPI. Sure they never said what year or anything but they at least said he was moving on to the NCAA after his time in Cornwall is done. JL has said he is coming so as far as I am concerned the only reason I will read the SF now is to see how he did in his games, not worry about if he is showing up or not.
              Because the statement by the "journalist" created a blatant inaccuracy (via omission), fully substantiating Wicked's criticism of the "journalist".

Comment

I am not sure what the quote was from the article but they have mentioned he is going to RPI a few times. They do not even need to mention where players are going after they leave Cornwall if they do not want to. I know for sure the local writers here do not mention anything about where kids from this area are playing in the junior leagues. Heck they sometimes dont even mention the kids that are playing in college unless someone tells them.
                They have indeed mentioned a few times that he is going to RPI but not since he decided not to go this year. I do think that his primary duty is to his readers in Cornwall and vicinity who are not that interested in what JL does after he finishes his junior career. Maybe we should start bombarding the SF staff with emails.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  They have indeed mentioned a few times that he is going to RPI but not since he decided not to go this year. I do think that his primary duty is to his readers in Cornwall and vicinity who are not that interested in what JL does after he finishes his junior career. Maybe we should start bombarding the SF staff with emails.
                  Good luck with those emails let me know how far that gets you

Comment

Good luck with those emails let me know how far that gets you
                    I think that WS wrote at least once a while back.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by knsmith View Post
                      Your statement would be fine EXCEPT they chose to say "who declined to attend RPI this year". If they had ignored that fact, you're right, it wouldn't be bad (even if entirely non-thorough) journalism to not clarify his plans. But if the reporter is going to bring up a fact that is now irrelevant at best and in reality severely misleading, he has an obligation to do the digging and write an accurate piece.
                      To pile on your point, "who declined to attend RPI this year" is a false statement. He ( the Edward R. Murrow type in question) illustrates his lack of knowledge and interest in his subject so resorts to the lowest common denominator of reading/hearing some tidbit and regurgitating it as fact. It comes off as if he attending the Telephone, Telegraph Telawoman school of journalism...

Comment

It comes off as if he attending the Telephone, Telegraph Telawoman school of journalism...
                        I hate to admit my age so readily but because of women's lib I haven't heard that line in over 40 years.
                        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

To pile on your point, "who declined to attend RPI this year" is a false statement. He ( the Edward R. Murrow type in question) illustrates his lack of knowledge and interest in his subject so resorts to the lowest common denominator of reading/hearing some tidbit and regurgitating it as fact. It comes off as if he attending the Telephone, Telegraph Telawoman school of journalism...
                          Well said Babo. I just can't stand lazy, regurgitation reporting, which sadly has become the norm.

That said, having long since broken my own pledge to ignore the JL drama, I'm going to reinstate my self-imposed gag order on the topic... I look forward to welcoming the kid if/when he lands in Troy.
                          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                            I hate to admit my age so readily but because of women's lib I haven't heard that line in over 40 years.
                            ...just a little nostalgia added to our overly 'techy' world...

Comment

Well said Babo. I just can't stand lazy, regurgitation reporting, which sadly has become the norm.

That said, having long since broken my own pledge to ignore the JL drama, I'm going to reinstate my self-imposed gag order on the topic... I look forward to welcoming the kid if/when he lands in Troy.
                              Ok...fine...until the next article rears its ugly head about...J...um, er...HIM

Comment

Ok...fine...until the next article rears its ugly head about...J...um, er...HIM
                                Soup operas are indeed addicting (or so I have heard).
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X