Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maximum games per season in Div I?

Originally posted by GopherBigGuy911 View Post
    The Hell Ya Say... Hawaii huh... Well WHEN the BTHC comes about I am more than for a nice Hawaiian vacation for Minnesota, No Dak, Sconi, and Hawaii if they had a team around Christmas time :P
    Dirty's more likely to get his AIC jersey.

I didn't know the Hockey East schism was because of number of games... I guess I could see that if only western teams would count towards non-conference (and the MAAC is, well, the MAAC).

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      I didn't know the Hockey East schism was because of number of games...
      In addition to the rumored split of the Ivy League schools from the ECAC. The ECAC went to three divisions in '79: Ivy (self-explanatory), West (Clarkson, 'Gate, RPI, SLU, UVM), and East (BC, BU, Maine, UNH, NU, PC) - the West having one less team probably didn't help the scheduling issues either. Interestingly, while BC, BU, UNH, NU and PC all left in June, the University of Maine waited until the fall to depart - is it too late to give them back?

I'd be interested to read more on this if anyone could provide some links as this was all before my time.
      Last edited by ClOuD 9; 12-22-2010, 05:32 PM.
      "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
      Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
      NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
      EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
      AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
      1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
        It would seem that the NCAA in their infinite wisdom would regulate OOC games. In terms of PWR playing more OOC games could provide an advantage. Being able to play 12 OOC as a non-ivy ECAC team would seem to be a boon for decent teams (I know it's the ECAC, but for illustration purposes) it would seem to be beneficial. Maybe not, maybe I'm not thinking clearly at 7:30 a.m. .....
        There is no reason for the NCAA to get involved with scheduling. bad idea. They would screw it up way beyond any reasonable plan you had.
        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
        Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Thanks Alton ... that's exactly the kind of documentation I was looking for, but couldn't find.
          "The great aim of education is not knowledge, but action." -- Herbert Spencer

Comment

More on the ECAC-Hockey East split:
            The original split came over the issue of athletic scholarships, which Hockey East teams grant and most Eastern College Athletic Conference schools do not, and academic standards, with the influential Ivy League academic deans recommending a divorce.
            COLLEGE HOCKEY; Unification Considered by Two Leagues The New York Times - November 09, 1988
            Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2

Women's Hockey
            EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
            1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
              More on the ECAC-Hockey East split:

COLLEGE HOCKEY; Unification Considered by Two Leagues The New York Times - November 09, 1988
              Thank you for the explanations. As for Maine, you can keep them, unless you want Q-Pac, and Dartmouth doesn't mind the travel partnering.

Comment

Originally posted by Alton View Post
                If you really want to see the online source, it is in Bylaw 17.12.5.3 (pages 273-274) in the NCAA Division I Manual: http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...loads/D111.pdf.

The game limit is 34. The following games do not count against the 34-game limit, but do count in official NCAA Statistics and Records--
                * Hockey Hall of Fame Game--a single fundraising game conducted every year
                * Ice Breaker Tournament--a single 4-team, 2-game tournament conducted every year
                * Any game played in Hawaii or Alaska--only by a school from outside those states against a school inside that state
                * Conference championship tournament
                * NCAA tournament

Also not counting against the 34-game limit, and not counting in NCAA statistics--
                * Home game against a foreign team, such as a Canadian University or a foreign national team--limit one
                * One away tour against foreign teams--limit one tour every four years.
                * US National Teams--a single game per year against any US National Team (e.g., Olympic Team, World Junior Team, Under-18 Development Team, etc.)
                * "Alumni game" (exhibition of current players vs alumni of the school)--limit one
                * Certain other charity game activities are also permitted, but generally may not involve the entire team.

Typically, a team will play about 34-38 regular-season games plus 1-2 exhibitions. Teams rarely play more than 8-10 playoff games, so I would be surprised if any team has managed to play 50 games in a season (counting exhibitions) since the basic limit was lowered from 38 to 34.
                What about games against D-III teams?

Dartmouth will host D-III Norwich in late October 2011 in Hanover. I know it doesn't count against Norwich's 25-game limit but does it have any different effects for Dartmouth?
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                  What about games against D-III teams?

Dartmouth will host D-III Norwich in late October 2011 in Hanover. I know it doesn't count against Norwich's 25-game limit but does it have any different effects for Dartmouth?
                  I guess I don't know the D-III rules, but my reading of Bylaw 17.12 (page 154) in the D-III manual is that a game against Dartmouth will count against the 25-game limit.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...loads/D311.pdf

This game certainly would count against Dartmouth's 34-game limit per the NCAA Division I Bylaw that I linked in my post that you quoted. The fact is, though, that the Ivy League might have different rules and it's entirely possible that the game might not count against Dartmouth's 29-game limit as an Ivy League member. The NCAA takes no notice of the Ivy League 29-game limit, so even though the NCAA would consider Dartmouth's schedule to have 30 games the Ivy League might consider it to have 29 games.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

I imagine it would count as an exhibition game for Dartmouth. Dartmouth also played a "scrimmage" at Yale at the beginning of this season.

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    Thank you for the explanations. As for Maine, you can keep them, unless you want Q-Pac, and Dartmouth doesn't mind the travel partnering.
                    Accepted - you got hosed in this deal, suckers!
                    Last edited by ClOuD 9; 12-23-2010, 07:18 PM.
                    Men's Hockey

Women's Hockey
                    1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                      I imagine it would count as an exhibition game for Dartmouth. Dartmouth also played a "scrimmage" at Yale at the beginning of this season.
                      I am convinced that the 'scrimmage' against Yale on 23 October counted against Dartmouth's 34-game limit in the NCAA's eyes. This is why you only ever see Ivy League schools play in such "scrimmage" games--because it is really game #30 as far as the NCAA is concerned. The NCAA rule book is pretty clear that all games between two US 4-year colleges count against the limit, unless they fall under one of the exempt categories that were listed earlier in this thread.

Yes, it is very likely that this game between Dartmouth and Norwich next year will be of the same 'scrimmage' classification--something that counts as game #30 per NCAA rules but does not count against the Ivy League 29-game limit.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

Comment

Also not counting against the 34-game limit, and not counting in NCAA statistics--
                        * Home game against a foreign team, such as a Canadian University or a foreign national team--limit one
                        UMass hosted both New Brunswick and the Sweden U-20 Team this season. Any idea how they got around the one-game foreign limit? BU was scheduled to host both Toronto and the Sweden U-20s before the Sweden game was dropped- rumor had it the Swedes had visa issues and couldn't be in the country long enough to stay for that game, although that was never confirmed.
                        Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                          UMass hosted both New Brunswick and the Sweden U-20 Team this season. Any idea how they got around the one-game foreign limit?
                          There seems to be a simple answer for that--they got around the limit by only scheduling 33 games aginst NCAA competition. By my count, they have their 27 Hockey East games, 6 non-conference games (Minnesota-2, Wisconsin-2, Army, Quinnipiac), plus the 2 games you mention. They are allowed to exempt 1 of the 2 games against foreign teams, and the other 1 is counted against their 34-game limit.

As far as BU is concerned, it looks like they wouldn't have been able to play that game against Sweden--they have 34 games plus the 2 exempt IceBreaker games plus their 1 exempt foreign game against Toronto.

Comment

There seems to be a simple answer for that--they got around the limit by only scheduling 33 games aginst NCAA competition. By my count, they have their 27 Hockey East games, 6 non-conference games (Minnesota-2, Wisconsin-2, Army, Quinnipiac), plus the 2 games you mention. They are allowed to exempt 1 of the 2 games against foreign teams, and the other 1 is counted against their 34-game limit.

As far as BU is concerned, it looks like they wouldn't have been able to play that game against Sweden--they have 34 games plus the 2 exempt IceBreaker games plus their 1 exempt foreign game against Toronto.
                            Ah... that makes sense. I hadn't even bothered to count if they were at the 34-game limit or not.
                            Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

I should mention that the exemption limit is not 1 in any category, it is 1 per category. RPI has 34 traditional games, played a foreign team (UNB), and then the USA Junior National Team.

Comment

Interesting thread. Here's a question. On Thursday the Hall of Fame Game is being played (isn't it usually at the beginning of the season between NC opponents?) This year it's between UND and UMD two WCHA teams. It's listed as a NC game and I'm told it won't count in the WCHA standings. Strange.
                                Go Pioneers!

Comment

Working...
                                X