X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

Bullitt County:

4 college friends re-unite, find out about some alleged hidden treasure, things go awry. The main plot isn't the story. The characters are. I thought it was decent, told in flashback form to fill in the blanks of the characters' histories. A little hammed up in acting, but not a big budget movie, so not surprised. Worth a gander.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      My wife and saw Yesterday, well, yesterday. If you're a Beatles fan, you're likely to enjoy it. If you're not a fan, but like their most popular music, you might enjoy it. Kepler will hate it.

There are a number of covers done, at least in part, throughout the movie. I enjoyed their take on Please, Help Me! as it fit the context of the story greatly in how they arranged it.

In short, there's a global event where all power goes out for all devices, regardless of being battery operated or plugged into the wall. Power comes back a few seconds later, but a few things are different. Specific to the main storyline, The Beatles were never a thing except that our protagonist remembers them and turns their old songs into his good fortune. And the story goes on from there with the standard ups and downs.

It's formulaic, sure, but it's well executed within the formula. Jokes are setup right, the drama and character crises were built in a good fashion, and the supporting characters were designed in a way to help along the story without becoming the story. Even Ed Sheeran did okay.
      I saw this today...I liked it. Not a must see or anything but a kind of cool concept and the ending was kind of unique.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        My wife and saw Yesterday, well, yesterday. If you're a Beatles fan, you're likely to enjoy it. If you're not a fan, but like their most popular music, you might enjoy it. Kepler will hate it.
        I heard about it on NPR. The last dying gasp of Boomers who think the Beatles were transformative. Let them have their green jello. They're done.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Happy 103rd birthday Olivia de Havilland. Hermia in A Midsummer Night's Dream in 1935:

Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            I heard about it on NPR. The last dying gasp of Boomers who think the Beatles were transformative. Let them have their green jello. They're done.
            Sure thing.

Comment

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Probably not necessary: https://youtu.be/dd8OsSdXEGc
                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Kep is right about the Beatles. Their best album is Revolver/the psychedelic era.

Comment

Cop Car:
                    Two 10YO runaways steal a corrupt sheriff's car. Trouble ensues. It's a B-Movie, let me make that clear. However, it was an okay watch. The innocence (and stupidity) of kids is the focus here. Kevin Bacon must be hurtin' a little bit in the pocketbook. If this were a Hollywood Hit, I could see the movie being better, Bacon's role could have been a meaty one. But alas....

Murder Mystery:
                    Sandler movie, produced by his company. Only gave it a chance because Jen Aniston is in it, and she's been known to take chances on what ends up being really good movies. This wasn't one of them. My given chance on the movie lasted 20 minutes. The movie tried, but failed due to the lack of Sandler's evolution of making a decent movie. You would think he'd improve in some areas, but nope.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Spiderman Far From Home. ****ing Fantastic. 5 Stars
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        Kep is right about the Beatles. Their best album is Revolver/the psychedelic era.
                        Kep is right can’t have ‘best’ and ‘Beatles’ in the same sentence
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                          Murder Mystery:
                          Sandler movie, produced by his company. Only gave it a chance because Jen Aniston is in it, and she's been known to take chances on what ends up being really good movies. This wasn't one of them. My given chance on the movie lasted 20 minutes. The movie tried, but failed due to the lack of Sandler's evolution of making a decent movie. You would think he'd improve in some areas, but nope.
                          Sandler has said that the reason he's allowed to keep making movies isn't because his movies are great, most of them aren't, but because he can make them on the cheap so they manage to turn a profit.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            Sandler has said that the reason he's allowed to keep making movies isn't because his movies are great, most of them aren't, but because he can make them on the cheap so they manage to turn a profit.
                            The old singles and doubles theory.
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                              The old singles and doubles theory.
                              What's that?
                              Cornell University

Comment

What's that?
                                Rather than swinging for the fences, a batter is just hitting for average instead.

It's a metaphor. Would you like to be clued in on what those are?
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X