Wisconsin Badgers 2019-2020 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
    Kepler and Campbell are both, in their own ways, 'special cases' (which I guess would make Watts a 'special case', as well). I don't know that any of them indicate any increasing reliance on transfers in general.
    I get why Campbell would be a special case but fail to understand why Kepler would be. She left her team and sat out for one year to play one year. Campbell came out of UND and we all know the story there which makes her case very different.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2019-2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
      I get why Campbell would be a special case but fail to understand why Kepler would be. She left her team and sat out for one year to play one year. Campbell came out of UND and we all know the story there which makes her case very different.
      Kepler grew up in Verona, a 'suburb' of Madison (that is, if Madison truly even has 'suburbs'). I don't know whether she was recruited by Wisconsin, or how strongly, etc. But she isn't just a player transferring from random school A to random school B (like Watts, or most other tranfers); she's a kid who went away to school, then changed her mind and moved back close to home.

To me at least, that puts her in a different 'category' and one quite unlikely to be repeated by Wisconsin. FWIW.

Comment

we shouldn't be giving the Badger fans crap, after all they have 3 cheeseheads on their team, that might be a record (even if one is from a Twin Cities suburb)
        FWIW, even Minnesota State has three

I wonder what would have happened if more than a decade ago somebody had said we're going to get all the WI girls to come to Madison, and fill out the roster with a couple other talented players if we need them

if we want to give them crap, we should be discussing all the red shirts they had last year in winning their championship, and getting a player who played "pro" the previous year, IOW, also a redshirt
        Last edited by pokechecker; 11-14-2019, 06:50 AM. Reason: and then there is the former goalie who was also "seasoned" a year before joining the Badjers

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
          Kepler grew up in Verona, a 'suburb' of Madison (that is, if Madison truly even has 'suburbs'). I don't know whether she was recruited by Wisconsin, or how strongly, etc. But she isn't just a player transferring from random school A to random school B (like Watts, or most other tranfers); she's a kid who went away to school, then changed her mind and moved back close to home.

To me at least, that puts her in a different 'category' and one quite unlikely to be repeated by Wisconsin. FWIW.
          Seriously? Like Sydney Scobee? Your rational is that if you are transferring close to home, it’s ok! Got it.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
            Seriously? Like Sydney Scobee? Your rational is that if you are transferring close to home, it’s ok! Got it.
            Geez, this really isn't that hard, or that important. And it isn't whether it was "OK" or not.

The comment I was responding to referred to the idea that Wisconsin might be relying on more transfers going forward. I pointed out that two of the three recent transfers were of circumstances unlikely to be repeated at Wisconsin. In particular, that one was a local kid who went away to college instead of "staying home", and then changed her mind. Generally, when a kid does that, it is of course "OK", whether they play hockey or not. In the case of a hockey player, there are relatively few local kids who would be good enough to play at UW to begin with, such that another going away and then "coming home" is quite unlikely.

It is much more likely an occurence for the Twin Cities and U of Minnesota, and equally OK. But that isn't particularly relevant to the not-very-important small point I was making.

So, is that enough of an explanation, or should I go through it yet one more time?

Sheesh!

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
              Geez, this really isn't that hard, or that important. And it isn't whether it was "OK" or not.

The comment I was responding to referred to the idea that Wisconsin might be relying on more transfers going forward. I pointed out that two of the three recent transfers were of circumstances unlikely to be repeated at Wisconsin. In particular, that one was a local kid who went away to college instead of "staying home", and then changed her mind. Generally, when a kid does that, it is of course "OK", whether they play hockey or not. In the case of a hockey player, there are relatively few local kids who would be good enough to play at UW to begin with, such that another going away and then "coming home" is quite unlikely.

It is much more likely an occurence for the Twin Cities and U of Minnesota, and equally OK. But that isn't particularly relevant to the not-very-important small point I was making.

So, is that enough of an explanation, or should I go through it yet one more time?

Sheesh!
              I think you need to do it one more time.

While it is true that there isn’t a likelihood of another NCCA D1 program going under and consequently receiving a transfer from that school, the recent NCAA transfer rule changes seem to indicate there will be more transferring in the future, not less. Given the young age players commit at, it should come as no surprise that some players will decide to transfer after they arrive at the school, and some schools are not entirely pleased how their recruits panned out.

As far as Kepler being a “unique” situation, it was just as much a need by WI, SCSU had a WI player on their roster last year I would say is just as good, maybe even better, but there is no need at the present time like there was during the Olympic year.

So I guess, yeah, it was a unique situation, but that doesn't preclude a "unique" situation in the future, especially given the 4 year cycle of a unique years in NCAA D1 women's hockey
              Last edited by pokechecker; 11-14-2019, 10:33 AM. Reason: she graduated last year I guess

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                So I guess, yeah, it was a unique situation, but that doesn't preclude a "unique" situation in the future, especially given the 4 year cycle of a unique years in NCAA D1 women's hockey
                Never used the word "unique".

Comment

Never used the word "unique".
                  Correct.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

circumstances unlikely to be repeated
                    sounds like a pretty decent definition of unique

and from a source on when to use quotation marks:

Some writers put quotes around words they want to distance themselves from. Quotation marks used this way are commonly called scare quotes or shudder quotes. It’s a way of implying that you’re using a term in an unusual way or that you don’t necessarily approve of it:

example: The CWHL was a "professional” women's hockey league.

what next "it depends on what the definition of is, is"?
                    Last edited by pokechecker; 11-15-2019, 07:10 AM. Reason: it might be hard to believe, but I received an A in all my college writing classes

Comment

I hereby disavow my previous participation in this particular thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                        I hereby disavow my previous participation in this particular thread.
                        What's done is done...I blame ARM.
                        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                          sounds like a pretty decent definition of unique
                          Sounds like an utterly incorrect definition of "unique". "Unique" is one of a kind, will not be repeated or duplicated, etc. "Unlikely" or even "quite unlikely" ain't the same as "unique" And I have not ever claimed that the circumstances of Kepler's transfer were "unique"; I have said they are unlikely to be repeated. Not the same. You wanna get pedantic? I can be pedantic, all day long.

Comment

Sounds like an utterly incorrect definition of "unique". "Unique" is one of a kind, will not be repeated or duplicated, etc. "Unlikely" or even "quite unlikely" ain't the same as "unique" And I have not ever claimed that the circumstances of Kepler's transfer were "unique"; I have said they are unlikely to be repeated. Not the same. You wanna get pedantic? I can be pedantic, all day long.
                            You could chose to not respond...
                            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                              People are. of course, free to disagree with what I post. They are not free to misstate or misinterpret what I post.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                                he wants to be a nit picker, which is the term I'd use instead of pedantic

bottom line is, you have to admire both Johnson & Kepler for recognizing that an Olympic year was coming up and UW was likely to be short a player or two
                                where we disagree is that it is a one time situation, there's gonna be an Olympic year every four years and that's an opportunity for players to transfer
                                I'd be disappointed if Johnson didn't pull the same trick if the need arises again, he's smarter than that
                                Last edited by pokechecker; 11-15-2019, 09:27 AM. Reason: it should be called a Johnson-Kepler, kinda like an Ohio State win=SO win

Comment

Working...
                                X