Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: CCC Hockey Coaches Poll

Originally posted by dinocoach View Post
    Truthfully, Knight, as a coach, it is really hard to pull back the reins on your players. But, you do things like play kids who aren't normally on your special teams and let them get some time on the special teams. You play the number 3 keeper to give them some minutes and experience. I would never tell a player to either not shoot or purposely shoot wide or into the goalie. My HS coach always told us bad habits are easy to form and tough to break and, good habits are tough to form and easy to break! You could double shift your third and fourth lines. Finally, have your players try somethings you've been working on in practice but haven't put into the game yet.

There is an old hockey saying that "what goes around, comes around" and you don't ever want to forget that. Everyone who has played this great game has been in the skates of a team that loses a very lopsided game. It can be humbling for sure, but it can also help develop a team to get better.

Also, having said all of that, there are some teams and some coaches, that actually deserve a good old fashion thumping!

Exactly, double shift the 3rd and 4th lines, put them in situations they usually wouldn't play ie PP, PK...Switch goalies, ect...You really don't want a top players getting hurt in a game like that so limit top players ice times, I mean if the 3rd and 4th lines are scoring than I don't think anybody has a probably with that: it's when you have the first line putting up goals 13 and 14 in a blowout, especially if they power play goals: (unless the other team is running around killing people than run up the score all you want)...
    Last edited by hockeyfan77; 01-31-2020, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
      You're probably right, but I never did, hence my question
      Fair Enough, didn't mean to sound harsh

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyfan77 View Post
        If Becker was running around taking cheap shots, then putting up 15 is fine with me but if that's NOT happening, it's bush league
        There's a preponderance of evidence as to why Endicott (and Nichols and UNE earlier this year) felt ok running up the score on Becker.

Looking at Becker's box scores, they seem to be good at getting under their opponents skin as a lot of games they induce their opponents into violent penalties and in some of those games they've even gotten into it first. They even got a Game Misconduct assessed as a bench penalty late in the game against Suffolk on 12/1 which I don't recall seeing elsewhere before.

Being able to rattle your opponents' discipline is only good if you can use that to win games. Otherwise one ends up with what Becker has, a bunch of ugly losses.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
          There's a preponderance of evidence as to why Endicott (and Nichols and UNE earlier this year) felt ok running up the score on Becker.

Looking at Becker's box scores, they seem to be good at getting under their opponents skin as a lot of games they induce their opponents into violent penalties and in some of those games they've even gotten into it first. They even got a Game Misconduct assessed as a bench penalty late in the game against Suffolk on 12/1 which I don't recall seeing elsewhere before.

Being able to rattle your opponents' discipline is only good if you can use that to win games. Otherwise one ends up with what Becker has, a bunch of ugly losses.
          If that's the case then they deserve a 15 spot

Comment

UNE gets five points this weekend, but they had to work hard and get lucky! Curry played two terrific games this weekend and only has one point to show for it. I think Curry exposed some of the UNE weaknesses this weekend. They really bottled up UNE's speed players with some real tenacious checking. When UNE was able to break out of their end, Curry forward came back strong and took away all of the passing lanes. I think Curry won far more face-offs during the series and couldn't count how many shots they blocked. Every player was willing to sacrifice the body.

UNE has a surging Nichols team next weekend. Nichols took 5 points this weekend. I missed the Nichols tying goal, I figured when Wentworth scored with 2:00 left, it was over. You know what Yogi says, "It ain't over till it's over!"

Comment

• Originally posted by dinocoach View Post
              UNE gets five points this weekend, but they had to work hard and get lucky! Curry played two terrific games this weekend and only has one point to show for it. I think Curry exposed some of the UNE weaknesses this weekend. They really bottled up UNE's speed players with some real tenacious checking. When UNE was able to break out of their end, Curry forward came back strong and took away all of the passing lanes. I think Curry won far more face-offs during the series and couldn't count how many shots they blocked. Every player was willing to sacrifice the body.

UNE has a surging Nichols team next weekend. Nichols took 5 points this weekend. I missed the Nichols tying goal, I figured when Wentworth scored with 2:00 left, it was over. You know what Yogi says, "It ain't over till it's over!"
              Big week in the CCC. Wentworth and Curry seem to have games they need to win and should win but WNEU and Becker can surprise you so they cant take these games too lightly. Nichols is playing real well lately and could sneak up on UNE but will need to play flawlessly and stay out of the box and keep the games close and get a few bounces. Tough task for the Bison but they have played well vs UNE in the past.
              Endicott/Salve should be two very good games if the contest a few weeks ago is any indication. Salve had 7 starters in the stands last weekend and has been dealing with a rash of injuries all season long. If they can get some of those guys back this weekend it should be interesting. Salve has not played well of late and now is the time to step it up and get in a groove before the final stretch. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by nefan View Post
                Big week in the CCC. Wentworth and Curry seem to have games they need to win and should win but WNEU and Becker can surprise you so they cant take these games too lightly. Nichols is playing real well lately and could sneak up on UNE but will need to play flawlessly and stay out of the box and keep the games close and get a few bounces. Tough task for the Bison but they have played well vs UNE in the past.
                Endicott/Salve should be two very good games if the contest a few weeks ago is any indication. Salve had 7 starters in the stands last weekend and has been dealing with a rash of injuries all season long. If they can get some of those guys back this weekend it should be interesting. Salve has not played well of late and now is the time to step it up and get in a groove before the final stretch. Time will tell.
                It does seem that Nichols has gotten back to where we all thought they's be when this season started. This weekend vs UNE is going to be huge for them. Nichols will have to keep it together in order to pull out some points. This really seems like a nice rivalry for both clubs, although this might be the first year Coach Swallow will not have any kids he recruited to Nichols on the ice.

What I think I am going to watch for in Nichols, is what happens to them if the go down a goal or two early. I know they were down 2-1 against Wentworth in both games over the weekend and came back in the 3rd period. The question I have is, what will they do against a top tier team, it's been that kind of season for them.

Becker still remains a mystery to me. I am not sure they have any surprises in them, but I could be wrong. Wentworth should handle them fairly easily, but, there is always a "but"!

The series that I think is the most intriguing is the Endicott/Salve series. Salve played well enough to win both games last weekend against Becker. Did Salve take their foot off the gas in the 3rd period of game 1? Endicott is playing well right now and I think they have a lot to prove. For some reason, they took a backseat to UNE and Salve in the middle of the season. I am also wondering about the 18-0 shellacking Salve took against UNE and what effect that may have on Endicott this weekend. There are always games within the games!

Let's have some fun out there!

Comment

I am seeing the chatter begin about NCAA Tournament on other threads and I start to wonder where the CCC will fit with all of the others. My opinion is that of the two conferences I have seen, in person, and the couple I have watched through stream, NEHC has Norwich, Hobart, maybe NEC and Babson as possibles. The MASCAC has Plymouth State, but that would only be through the AQ. In the NESCAC, Williams and Trinity have set themselves apart from the rest of the conference. I don't see anyone else coming out of that conference.

At the start of the season, I thought the CCC could have 5 teams with possibilities beyond the AQ, now I think it might be down to UNE and either Endicott, Salve and Curry as interchangeable.

I guess what I'm saying is the CCC has performed below what I expected. I had high hopes for teams like Salve, Endicott, Nichols and Curry playing well enough to make a statement to the rest of the D-III world and, it didn't happen. I think the only way the CCC gets more than one bid is if UNE doesn't get the AQ. Thoughts?

Comment

I am seeing the chatter begin about NCAA Tournament on other threads and I start to wonder where the CCC will fit with all of the others. My opinion is that of the two conferences I have seen, in person, and the couple I have watched through stream, NEHC has Norwich, Hobart, maybe NEC and Babson as possibles. The MASCAC has Plymouth State, but that would only be through the AQ. In the NESCAC, Williams and Trinity have set themselves apart from the rest of the conference. I don't see anyone else coming out of that conference.

At the start of the season, I thought the CCC could have 5 teams with possibilities beyond the AQ, now I think it might be down to UNE and either Endicott, Salve and Curry as interchangeable.

I guess what I'm saying is the CCC has performed below what I expected. I had high hopes for teams like Salve, Endicott, Nichols and Curry playing well enough to make a statement to the rest of the D-III world and, it didn't happen. I think the only way the CCC gets more than one bid is if UNE doesn't get the AQ. Thoughts?

Yes that's what I see

I think Norwich and Babson are shoe in's for the tournament (Babson is 15-4-2)...NEC and Hobart would probably have to win the AQ for a berth

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeyfan77 View Post
                      Yes that's what I see

I think Norwich and Babson are shoe in's for the tournament (Babson is 15-4-2)...NEC and Hobart would probably have to win the AQ for a berth
                      Norwich probably is but Babson is far from it

Comment

Did not get to watch the UNE/Nichols game on the stream due to the "Great Spectrum Cable Outage of 2020". It actually came back on line just as UNE was scoring the winning goal in the 3-on-3 OT period. So, I have no idea how the game went. It is good to see that Nichols seems to be back where we all expected them to be. I will be at the Alfond tonight for the second game of the series, so I am hoping for some nice home cooking for the Nor'easters.

Becker had a nice surprise for Wentworth last night. It just goes to show that in this conference, on any given night...

Curry did what was expected vs WNEU, although 4 goals on 54 shots could be troubling.

The Endicott/Salve game looked interesting. Six goals in the first period and then nothing until OT. Salve seems to have had the advantage in shots and was 2 for 6 on the Power Play but couldn't get the winner. Salve continues to falter against the top teams in the conference. Tonight at the Abbey could be interesting.

Getting down toward crunch time and, it seems that the conference may only get the AQ unless UNE loses in the conference finals. I really had hopes for a better representation.

Comment

Did not get to watch the UNE/Nichols game on the stream due to the "Great Spectrum Cable Outage of 2020". It actually came back on line just as UNE was scoring the winning goal in the 3-on-3 OT period. So, I have no idea how the game went. It is good to see that Nichols seems to be back where we all expected them to be. I will be at the Alfond tonight for the second game of the series, so I am hoping for some nice home cooking for the Nor'easters.

Becker had a nice surprise for Wentworth last night. It just goes to show that in this conference, on any given night...

Curry did what was expected vs WNEU, although 4 goals on 54 shots could be troubling.

The Endicott/Salve game looked interesting. Six goals in the first period and then nothing until OT. Salve seems to have had the advantage in shots and was 2 for 6 on the Power Play but couldn't get the winner. Salve continues to falter against the top teams in the conference. Tonight at the Abbey could be interesting.

Getting down toward crunch time and, it seems that the conference may only get the AQ unless UNE loses in the conference finals. I really had hopes for a better representation.
                          Nichols seems to be coming on strong with their win at UNE last night. It's too late for them to make a big move in the standings but could they be at their best in time for the playoffs? They could make things interesting. UNE needs to stay out of the box!

Comment

You know, when you give up 4 PPGs, and the penalties were really stupid undisciplined penalties, you deserve to lose. The Nichols goalie was outstanding in that 1st period, and the Nichols players were blocking shot left and right. Nichols survived a 5 minute spearing penalty. Even when UNE went up 2-0, Nichols just kept playing. I don't think either coach was too happy with the officiating, although, from where I was sitting, each penalty was legit. UNE has no one but themselves to blame for the score.

Nichols may not be able to improve themselves in the standings, but they will need to be watched in the conference playoffs.

One thing happened last night, on the first UNE goal. The scoring team usually goes down the bench, slapping gloves between the guys on the bench and the guys on the ice. Every team does this. The goalie usually comes to the bench as well, to be part of the "cellie". Evidently, the UNE goalie said something as he skated by the Nichols bench. Whatever he said got the players on the Nichols bench pretty upset (putting it mildly!) and even the coach was upset. That really sparked the Nichols players the rest of the night. You could see they were really chirping at the goalie. Can you tell I hate these goal celebrations!

I always taught my players that if we scored, get back to the face-off dot before the other team, ready to score again. Don't give them any time to recover, put it back on them and score again. And, if they scored against you, don't drop your shoulders, get right back to the face-off dot, tip your hat to them and get that goal back! There is plenty of time to celebrate after the game! (Now I'm gonna sound old!) These days, it's about rubbing it in! I just hate that!

Opening myself up to all types of criticism, what do other people think about the goal celebrations?

Comment

• Originally posted by dinocoach View Post
                              Did not get to watch the UNE/Nichols game on the stream due to the "Great Spectrum Cable Outage of 2020". It actually came back on line just as UNE was scoring the winning goal in the 3-on-3 OT period. So, I have no idea how the game went. It is good to see that Nichols seems to be back where we all expected them to be. I will be at the Alfond tonight for the second game of the series, so I am hoping for some nice home cooking for the Nor'easters

Well it looks like everything went as expected last night with the exception possibly of the Curry/Salve score. UNE, Nichols, Endicott all winners and it should repeat tonight.
                              Gonna be tough for salve to win tonight unless they have some miracle healing waters down in Newport. This team has been decimated with injuries and sickness for about 1 month now. 4 top 9 forwards and 3 top 6 d-men have been out for a long stretch of the last month. Some have come back for a game or two but only to be out of lineup then next weekend. Had a few guys back last weekend vs. Endicott and played tough in 2 one goal losses. Last night had 4 top players out and just couldn’t handle Curry’s sustained pressure. Goalies need to play better as well. Soft goals are a killer when you are so short handed. Again if they can get healthy they can be very tough. Its only three playoff wins and your in the dance, this team if healthy could do it. Give credit to Curry though. Ive been saying it all year long. They are a very dangerous team. Skilled and tough. Don’t sleep on them!!

Comment

I am hoping that UNE can take care of business this weekend beating Wentworth at home and Becker on the road. Then I have to hope (man, do I hate depending on "Hope"!) that Becker, or more likely Curry and steal a point from Endicott to insure Home Ice through the playoffs. Curry has a very steep hill to climb, and they would have to depend on "Hope" and "Prayer" to slip into a bye position. Hope might come through for Curry but I'm not too sure about Prayer! Nichols continues strong and should get a home game in the first round.

Still concerned about the NCAA's. What if Endicott and UNE are in the conference finals? Any thought that they both may get a bid? Same for the NEHC, if Norwich and Babson or Norwich and Hobart are in the finals?

Comment

Working...
                                X