Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: CCC Hockey Coaches Poll

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Coach, my post was sort of extraneous. Sorry. What happened that night is that UC played as perfect a hockey game as I've seen in many years, maybe ever.

No disrespect to Salve. I was a fan of theirs in the NCAA's last year. Utica just put on a clinic that night.
    No apology necessary, I hated playing against teams like Salve! They are cocky, they play with a chip on their shoulder, and they have been very successful. They are the type of team the saying "What goes around comes around", was made for! But, you have to give them their due. They are like Brad Marchand, you love him playing for your team and hate him if plays for anyone else!

Looking forward to the second half of the season.

Comment

Nichols broke the ice against Franklin Pierce last Saturday with a 4-0 win. Good for them! I believe they are still a team that should finish in the top 4 of the CCC, but it means they'll have to have a great second half. I am sure they are relieved to that first one under their belt.

I hope everyone enjoys the tidings of the season! See you all after Christmas, when several CCC teams are traveling to tournaments. When does Curry leave for Europe?

Comment

• Originally posted by dinocoach View Post
        Nichols broke the ice against Franklin Pierce last Saturday with a 4-0 win. Good for them! I believe they are still a team that should finish in the top 4 of the CCC, but it means they'll have to have a great second half. I am sure they are relieved to that first one under their belt.

I hope everyone enjoys the tidings of the season! See you all after Christmas, when several CCC teams are traveling to tournaments. When does Curry leave for Europe?
        Curry leaves January 9th.

Comment

Tough start of the year for the CCC. Sounds like the goalie from Cortland stood on his head last night against Salve. UNE lost a tough one to Williams. D-man fell down with puck as he was trying to clear the zone and the kids from Williams had the puck about 15 feet in front of the net. He beat Churchill with a nifty wrister. On to Oswego tonight!

Comment

I just checked all the scores for last night! CCC went 0-5 in NC games. Not a good start at all!

Comment

Originally posted by dinocoach View Post
              I just checked all the scores for last night! CCC went 0-5 in NC games. Not a good start at all!
              Things are so fluid lately. No telling from year to year. Even the UCHC -which was very weak last season- is looking as good as or better than any other conference in '19/'20.

Go figger.

(I sure can't.)

Comment

But that is what makes the games so interesting!

The CCC did rebound a bit on Saturday, with UNE beating a ranked opponent (Oswego), Salve recovering against Assumption. CCC Members Endicott and Wentworth played a NC game for 3rd place in Plattsburgh. Nichols still continues to, in my opinion, underperform, losing to St Johns and Bryn Athyn in their own tourney. Conference play doesn't start until next week, so we'll have to wait a bit more to see how it all falls out! Like you say, Fish, Go Figger!

Comment

Not a good night for Salve up in Biddeford! First, someone forgot to pack their uniforms, then they suffered an embarrassing third period collapse, giving up 7 goals (including 5 PPGs) to fall 9-0. Salve's last two games include being outscored 13-0 in the last 5 periods, including 7 PPGs. This makes tonight's game at the Abbey a critical test of their season.

I am aware that it can be very unsettling for a team to have the usual routine for game day get upset, but the first period was an up-and-down affair with great chances for both teams. There were some great hard hitting hits, by both teams, all over the ice, and it appeared the refs were going to allow the kids to play their game. UNE went up 2-0 and Salve had a great chance early in the 2nd period with the puck on the stick behind the goalie, and he couldn't finish. That hurt!

The 3rd period devolved into Salve imploding. They were trying to bait UNE into taking some foolish penalties, which UNE has done in the past, but it backfired on them resulting in Salve playing the man down.

It looks like Curry started slow against Wentworth, but got it going in the 3rd to pull away 6-3. Nichols got their second win in Conference play beating WNEU 2-1 with a late goal, and on Thursday night Endicott beat Becker 5-0.

All 8 teams are in action tonight. It will be interesting to see if UNE can follow up on last night's game with another win. Salve is a much better team than they showed last night, so it should a tight one.

Comment

• Originally posted by dinocoach View Post
                    Not a good night for Salve up in Biddeford! First, someone forgot to pack their uniforms
                    So what did they wear for the game??
                    Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
                      So what did they wear for the game??
                      I'd love to tell you it was "shirts against skins", but it wasn't. They wore UNE road uniforms.

Comment

Not sure what is going on with Salve but they are now down 0-7 against UNE at the Abbey. Five more PPGs for UNE and UNE is out shooting Salve 34-9. Salve is not this bad. Anyone know anything? Sickness, injuries, academic issues?

Comment

Is there some kind of history between Endicott and Becker? Between the penalties and the score it looked like an Adrian game...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                            Is there some kind of history between Endicott and Becker? Between the penalties and the score it looked like an Adrian game...
                            Becker has been a doormat for the conference since the conference began. Becker and Endicott both played in the old ECAC-Northeast, the conference before the CCC. I don't think they really developed a rivalry, per se, but I do think there may be some history, mostly slanted toward Endicott.

I think this just may be a case of catching Becker early and then running the score up. Neither team is really disciplined and both react and are susceptible to taking foolish penalties at bad times.

Comment

Originally posted by dinocoach View Post
                              Not sure what is going on with Salve but they are now down 0-7 against UNE at the Abbey. Five more PPGs for UNE and UNE is out shooting Salve 34-9. Salve is not this bad. Anyone know anything? Sickness, injuries, academic issues?
                              I have no inside intel but I did notice that one of the dmen JJ Layton appears to have left the team as he is no longer on the roster.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
                                I have no inside intel but I did notice that one of the dmen JJ Layton appears to have left the team as he is no longer on the roster.
                                It seems larger than one player. On Friday night, the played the first period as well as any team I have seen so far this year. They had a jump in their step. Salve was stride-for-stride with UNE until UNE scored a couple of goals. Also, early in the second period, with the score 2-0 UNE, Salve had two excellent chances to score. One opportunity saw the Salve player at the side of the net, with the puck, and the UNE goalie out of the net. When he didn't score on that play, it seemed as though the Salve players lost their spirit. You can recognize it when the players shoulders drop and the extra step just isn't there. At that point in the game, still plenty of time to play, to appear to give up, is telling of a much larger problem.

Then last night's game, another 9-0 drubbing from UNE. That needed to be a "response" game, and it, in a way it was and the response was dismal. There is still a lot time left in the season, but the Salve has a lot of work to do to recover from this. With two games against Endicott and two games against Curry still on their schedule they need to get right. I kind of feel for Becker next week after enduring a 15-0 loss to Endicott and coming up against a good Salve team that has to be stung but this weekends results.

Comment

Working...
                                X