Miller article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller article

I know people may be tired of hearing about this story, but thought some might find this an interesting read.

https://www.zenithcitynews.com/singl...110717-feature

Re: Miller article

Originally posted by 2Bladedskates View Post
    I know people may be tired of hearing about this story, but thought some might find this an interesting read.
    I bought in till the straight, white American born men.......... comment. Did they do her wrong? For the most part seems so. Were they in a budget shortfall, no question. Getting rid of her to save salary is a joke excuse, though technically valid. All in all the AD handled the situation poorly, regardless of the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
      I bought in till the straight, white American born men.......... comment. Did they do her wrong? For the most part seems so. Were they in a budget shortfall, no question. Getting rid of her to save salary is a joke excuse, though technically valid. All in all the AD handled the situation poorly, regardless of the situation.
      There are always two sides of the story and this obviously comes from Miller's perspective. One thing I do know that the comment about, "too many Canadians" has some truth to it. At the time it was said it was about the entire program and recruiting international players, mostly from Europe. What the administration wanted Miller to do was to recruit more heavily in Minnesota. Something the Gophers have done well (and what Crowell is currently doing). Miller did not want to do this and part of her recruiting budget included a month long trip during the summer to Europe.

Everyone else knows that Miller was a pain, but she did win. The administration just plain botched it IMO.

Comment

....part of her recruiting budget included a month long trip during the summer to Europe.

Everyone else knows that Miller was a pain, but she did win. The administration just plain botched it IMO.
        Who wouldn't enjoy a month in Europe with all your expenses paid for by your employer?!

Your last paragraph sums the whole thing up in a nutshell.

Comment

If Duluth is forced to pay a large sum of money the WCHA could be down to 6 teams next year. That is just great for the program and all of women's hockey.

Don't go away mad just go away

Comment

"Miller’s performance wasn’t even close to decline, Lopiano says."

Do we believe this?

Does anybody think the claim that the non-renewal "was a witch-hunt, carried out by white, straight, American-born men who feel threatened by female success and want to maintain the sexist, homophobic, and nativist status quo at UMD" is undercut by the fact they hired a gay woman to replace her?

Comment

Originally posted by brokentwig View Post
              If Duluth is forced to pay a large sum of money the WCHA could be down to 6 teams next year. That is just great for the program and all of women's hockey.

Yes. But I just can't believe she will win. Hopefully it's not my naiveté showing again.

Comment

Originally posted by brokentwig View Post

I do believe Miller will get some money. The unfortunate thing is "Duluth" will not have to pay. Instead it is transfers to taxpayers which ultimately gets passed on to the kids through their tuitions.

Comment

One thing I do know that the comment about, "too many Canadians" has some truth to it. .
                  what I'd like to hear is why Duluth felt it necessary to hire a Canadian hoops and softball coach. Hiring a puck coach back when they did is understandable, but hoops and softball??? there weren't any qualified US coaches?

the other thing is if you are going to do a comparison, then compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges. The University of MN has two women's hockey coaches, one at the Twin Cities campus, the other in Duluth, one was paid more despite less performance. Anybody with half a brain knows this won't go on long, eventually they are going to drop the higher paid and less performing coach.

accusing UMD of Cherry picking , that's funny, when evaluating a coach you use what they have done lately, not what they did 10 years ago. It is the plaintiffs that are cherry picking.
                  My wish is that they settle with her and make it on condition she stays out of MN, even better give her an extra million if she gives up her US citizenship and go back to Saskatoon.

To this day, she is still the only coach to fail to win gold for Canada.
                  Last edited by pokechecker; 11-13-2017, 04:18 PM. Reason: wonder if the Russians will have her as a consultant for 2018? lol

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                    To this day, she is still the only coach to fail to win gold for Canada.
                    Soon to be joined by her former assistant coach.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                      Soon to be joined by her former assistant coach.
                      She won gold with the U18's in 2014 I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                        She won gold with the U18's in 2014 I believe.
                        Pretty sure he was referring to Olympic gold.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                          what I'd like to hear is why Duluth felt it necessary to hire a Canadian hoops and softball coach. Hiring a puck coach back when they did is understandable, but hoops and softball??? there weren't any qualified US coaches?.
                          My bad - I thought Duluth was in Canada......

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                            My bad - I thought Duluth was in Canada......
                            It's not that close, as compared to somewhere like Detroit.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Thanks for posting the link. I found the reporting on the financial information to be misleading. While true that the women's program received less than the men's program, it was not 50% on average. UMD's financials for 2010-16 show that on average the women's expenses averaged 76% of the men's expenses, with Athletic Aid averaging 102% of the men's, the head coaches total compensation averaging 80%, assistant's averaging 64%, and all coaches compensation averaging 73%. The yearly expenses fluctuated from a high of 90% of the men's in 2010 to a low of 65% in 2016.

Furthermore, stating that the women's expenses were less than the men's is true at 33 of the 36 schools that sponsor both men's and women's hockey. Of those 36 programs just three averaged higher expenses than their men's programs and UMD had the ninth highest percentage. Dollar-wise, UMD's average expenses from 2010-16 were $1.58 million, ninth highest of all 39 DI women's programs.

If anyone is interested they can take a look at my spreadsheet which has the financial information from 2010-16 and comparisons between men's and women's programs.

Sean
                              Last edited by Sean Pickett; 11-14-2017, 09:08 AM. Reason: fixed typos
                              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                              BU Hockey highlights and extras
                              NCAA Hockey Financials
                              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Working...
                              X