This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    You didn't ask me, but it does chap my hide that I work for the man. But for me, unless I become a successful author, I'll be working for "the man" until I retire.

Speak of the devil, I have about 175 more pages to write in my memoir, plus about 85 more recipes to test for a cookbook.
    Everybody works for a man (or woman)
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Re: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 8: Bezos Takes Over the World

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Wage slavery is a fact of life currently. It will not always be. Your class is a temporary necessity. Who was Homer's patron?

As for me, I am still a little shaken that A Mistake Was Made and I wasn't born an 18th century gentleman of leisure. I would have made a great lepidopterist, whatever that is. And my Irish servant girls would never go hungry.
      Hey, you're a kept man who doesn't actually have to work for a living. Isn't that close enough?
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        Everybody works for a man (or woman)
        Even the despots. Or they become hangings on the wall.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

In today's new math, 128K == 303K.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
            Hey, you're a kept man who doesn't actually have to work for a living. Isn't that close enough?
            No. But I struggle on.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Google bought Fitbit...
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                Google bought Fitbit...
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

The joys of unregulated capitalism.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    Gotta love the FBI
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Tax question for you geniuses.

We get 15% off stock in our employee stock program through monthly stock options.

It tells us we have to pay regular income taxes on the lesser of:
                      1. the difference between FMV at the grant date and the discounted price
                      2. excess (if any) of the price I sell over the price I bought it at.

Assume I've held the stock for two years after purchase, so it's fully qualified.

Let's consider the two scenarios:

Lot 1:
                      FMV at purchase date: $100
                      Purchase price: $85
                      FMV at grant date (which I assume is the beginning of the offering period, which is the entire month): $90
                      Sell Today at $110

Lot 2:
                      FMV @ purchase: $100
                      Purchase Price: $85
                      FMV @ grant: $90
                      Sell tomorrow at $80

Do I have the following correct:
                      Lot 1: regular income = MIN( $90-$85=$5 , $110-$85=$25) = $5 ----- Capital gains: $110-$85 = $15
                      Lot 2: regular income = MIN( $90-$85=$5 , $80-$85=-$5) = -$5?? ----- Capital loss: -$5??

Is that right? Because I'm confused if that second scenario is applicable to regular income (losses?) or capital losses. Or would I still have to pay regular income taxes on the $90-$85=$5 and I get to take -$5 as a capital loss?
                      Code:
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...c58_story.html

Government sues Gilead over infringement of CDC patents in PReP. This is a big step.
                        Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          Tax question for you geniuses.

We get 15% off stock in our employee stock program through monthly stock options.
                          Stop right there. Anybody who's receiving stock options is a dirty rotten PLUTE!!!!
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                            Stop right there. Anybody who's receiving stock options is a dirty rotten PLUTE!!!!
                            Ha! Yeah, except this isn't an option in the traditional plut way. THis is an option granted for a month, between 3 and 15% of your salary and only 15% discount (with several exceptions).

Everyone in the company is eligible unless they own 5% outstanding shares, have already bought $25k in stock, or some otherwise unobtainable hurdle.
                            Code:

Comment

We have a discount ESPP, too. Helps keep investments diversified while giving employees who buy-in a reason to give a sheet about the company's performance.

Ours is different though, it is a payroll deduction held in escrow for six months. At which time they buy all the whole shares they can for you at a 15% discount from the current list price, and any remainder is returned to your next check as taxable income.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                We have a discount ESPP, too. Helps keep investments diversified while giving employees who buy-in a reason to give a sheet about the company's performance.

Ours is different though, it is a payroll deduction held in escrow for six months. At which time they buy all the whole shares they can for you at a 15% discount from the current list price, and any remainder is returned to your next check as taxable income.
                                We have both a stock purchase plan that works similar to yours, and a unitized stock fund for use within the 401(k) plan - for the non-investors out there, a unitized fund allows you to purchase partial shares of the company's stock, similar to how mutual funds work.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X