X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020: Nordic Combined

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    if you are going to leave after the first year or perhaps even the second, you really have to make sure the grass is truly greener where you are going (or the money is substantial). other than for Pirri, I am not so sure that has worked out for anyone else. leaving after the third year can make a lot more sense. Again the money has to be right but if it is, getting injured in a fourth year for a team that is not going to be nationally involved is a great risk.
    I am sure the decision is very difficult. For someone like Eichel or Makar it is a no brainer. Finishing your degree and or getting your masters provides a big safety net. If you leave early and wind up below AHL or in Europe, how much will you make? Will you finish your degree along the way? Or try to do that when the hockey thing ends. Finishing down the road is not easy. And if you are a bubble player, convincing yourself the future in hockey is worth the gamble must be very hard. One thing is 100% certain. Hockey will end. Then what? Big difference if you've made a few million vs never having done so.

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
      I am sure the decision is very difficult. For someone like Eichel or Makar it is a no brainer. Finishing your degree and or getting your masters provides a big safety net. If you leave early and wind up below AHL or in Europe, how much will you make? Will you finish your degree along the way? Or try to do that when the hockey thing ends. Finishing down the road is not easy. And if you are a bubble player, convincing yourself the future in hockey is worth the gamble must be very hard. One thing is 100% certain. Hockey will end. Then what? Big difference if you've made a few million vs never having done so.
      I have some experience with all of this being of some advice and help to 2 former RPI players. I agree with you totally. The decision is agonizing and what may be even worse, often it is a permanent one. And with boys first starting in Troy at later ages than in the old days (often 20+) time is of the essence. Sure Oates left after 3 years (certainly worked out for him). It was a smart move for others like Tapper (also leaving after 3 years) who received a huge salary and signing bonus and although his NHL career was shortened by 3 monstrous concussions, did incredibly well financially by playing in Europe and now coaching. But the steps up to the big time in hockey are much more significant than most understand. NCAA hockey is what it is. You have to be extremely good to excel at that level. But the next 3 steps up are HUGE and the real money is only at the top. The boys who can get to the NHL and even more importantly, stay in the NHL, are just so much more talented and physical and have to compete with the world wide talent from Europe that they are 99.9% selected out. It makes one realize how truly talented you have to be to even get a cup of coffee at that level. Over the 50+ years I have followed RPI hockey, I have seen some supremely talented boys in the program. But only a very few have ever left their mark at the top level. Unless you are Paul Kariya, or as you mention, Eichel or Makar, having that 4 year college degree makes sense far more often than not. And a degree from RPI still carries considerable weight in the job market and can open doors to a bright financial future.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
        I have some experience with all of this being of some advice and help to 2 former RPI players. I agree with you totally. The decision is agonizing and what may be even worse, often it is a permanent one. And with boys first starting in Troy at later ages than in the old days (often 20+) time is of the essence. Sure Oates left after 3 years (certainly worked out for him). It was a smart move for others like Tapper (also leaving after 3 years) who received a huge salary and signing bonus and although his NHL career was shortened by 3 monstrous concussions, did incredibly well financially by playing in Europe and now coaching. But the steps up to the big time in hockey are much more significant than most understand. NCAA hockey is what it is. You have to be extremely good to excel at that level. But the next 3 steps up are HUGE and the real money is only at the top. The boys who can get to the NHL and even more importantly, stay in the NHL, are just so much more talented and physical and have to compete with the world wide talent from Europe that they are 99.9% selected out. It makes one realize how truly talented you have to be to even get a cup of coffee at that level. Over the 50+ years I have followed RPI hockey, I have seen some supremely talented boys in the program. But only a very few have ever left their mark at the top level. Unless you are Paul Kariya, or as you mention, Eichel or Makar, having that 4 year college degree makes sense far more often than not. And a degree from RPI still carries considerable weight in the job market and can open doors to a bright financial future.
        Well said Doc.
        I have no idea what the pay structure is at any level below the NHL, but do you know what the pay scale is in the KHL? I know that Murley spent a couple of years in that league after the NHL. I think we may have sent one or two more Engineers to that league.
        I can't believe what it takes for a skater to make it in the NHL, but it seems almost impossible for a goalie. I have seen too many very talented goalies in college never even get a sniff in the NHL.
        And I have no idea why York didn't get a better chance after he showed that he could play at that level.
        A degree from RPI would certainly help after the disappointment of not making it in hockey.
        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
        Benjamin Franklin
        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
        Gary Player

Comment

Very good team you have this year. Best RPI team I have seen since 2013/14? Good offense. Good defense as well, as we could not get a shot off in that first game. Good depth. Good Goalie ..... can you make Lake Placid? (A very short drive from Troy)
          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
            Very good team you have this year. Best RPI team I have seen since 2013/14? Good offense. Good defense as well, as we could not get a shot off in that first game. Good depth. Good Goalie ..... can you make Lake Placid? (A very short drive from Troy)
            I would say we have shown the capability to be a very good team in spurts. In particular, this year our spurts are longer - a dominant period or two - and more sustained. We are still struggling with carrying that out for a full 60 minutes and then from game to game. When we do that we will be a very good team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What I find concerning is that Union outplayed RPI 4/6 periods over the weekend. Not by much, but Union looked like a team that is very hungry. RPI never responded to that. All I kept thinking was a good team would have made RPI pay for its failure to protect the puck far more than Union did. And several good teams are around the corner on the schedule. Union needed to play better and Bennett got them to do that. RPI is a better team on paper. Smith needs to get them to play like one. Get more out of the whole than the individual pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                What I find concerning is that Union outplayed RPI 4/6 periods over the weekend. Not by much, but Union looked like a team that is very hungry. RPI never responded to that. All I kept thinking was a good team would have made RPI pay for its failure to protect the puck far more than Union did. And several good teams are around the corner on the schedule. Union needed to play better and Bennett got them to do that. RPI is a better team on paper. Smith needs to get them to play like one. Get more out of the whole than the individual pieces.
                I think a game like Saturday is part of the process of a perennial losing team, which RPI has become, learning how to find the mental focus and grind out those type of games and win. It was a sloppy game. Union was way more physical and outskated RPI, which had no offensive rhythm for large portions of the game. RPI also had some simple mental lapses for both Union goals and took some offensive zone penalties that made it hard for them to get back into the game. Also, we might be talking a bit differently about the game had Hansen not saved the breakaway, or RPI scored on the power play early in the 1st instead of hitting the post on a wide open net. But I think the lesson for RPI is that even though they were outskated, they can be a competitive team if they maintain focus. The shift late in the third when the Jerry-Marello-Polino line worked hard and drew the penalty that led to the goal was the style of play that worked throughout Friday night, and what we needed to see more of on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                  I think a game like Saturday is part of the process of a perennial losing team, which RPI has become, learning how to find the mental focus and grind out those type of games and win. It was a sloppy game. Union was way more physical and outskated RPI, which had no offensive rhythm for large portions of the game. RPI also had some simple mental lapses for both Union goals and took some offensive zone penalties that made it hard for them to get back into the game. Also, we might be talking a bit differently about the game had Hansen not saved the breakaway, or RPI scored on the power play early in the 1st instead of hitting the post on a wide open net. But I think the lesson for RPI is that even though they were outskated, they can be a competitive team if they maintain focus. The shift late in the third when the Jerry-Marello-Polino line worked hard and drew the penalty that led to the goal was the style of play that worked throughout Friday night, and what we needed to see more of on Saturday.
                  Amen to that!
                  Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                    Completely agree. Jake Marello was the best two way forward on the weekend. The kid plays all out and has outstanding hockey sense. If he was 6'0 he'd be an NHL prospect. Love him.

We need some of our larger forwards to play big and gritty. Far too many of our guys avoided contact on Sat night , instead of looking for it, like Union was. That's compete level and pride -- especially at home. If our bigger guys - Jerry, Halbauer, Manshie play with an edge, and impose their will on opponents, we'll compete for every game. If we don't, we'll be easy to play against, like we were Sat night....and Union knew it. My two cents.
                    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                      Completely agree. Jake Marello was the best two way forward on the weekend. The kid plays all out and has outstanding hockey sense. If he was 6'0 he'd be an NHL prospect. Love him.

We need some of our larger forwards to play big and gritty. Far too many of our guys avoided contact on Sat night , instead of looking for it, like Union was. That's compete level and pride -- especially at home. If our bigger guys - Jerry, Halbauer, Manshie play with an edge, and impose their will on opponents, we'll compete for every game. If we don't, we'll be easy to play against, like we were Sat night....and Union knew it. My two cents.
                      I love Marello, but like too many of our energetic hard working kids, he can't put the puck in the net.
                      We still don't have a reliable goal scorer on this team. And all that great defensive work that held Union to very few shots in the second period in spite of them spending the entire period in our defensive zone will go to waste.
                      I don't think that we have given our team defense the recognition it deserves.
                      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                      Benjamin Franklin
                      Gary Player

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post

The line of Jerry Marello and Polino was the dominant line of the weekend All our players need to hit more. Mashie is hurt and didnt play this weekend. His big body would have helped. As for Haulbauer is 5’9 he’s not one of our bigger players. He’s one of our smallest.

I disagree with being out played 4 of 6 periods. Each game had its moments. I like the way Smith is changing the program but he got out coached by Bennet. If the Jerry line is having success why not play them more? Reilly was my playing every other shift. Why not them to help turn momentum?

A split with Union is disappointing. The Freshman and Sophomores who make up 70 % of this team need to do more.

Comment

1 step forward 2 steps back

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                            I love Marello, but like too many of our energetic hard working kids, he can't put the puck in the net.
                            We still don't have a reliable goal scorer on this team. And all that great defensive work that held Union to very few shots in the second period in spite of them spending the entire period in our defensive zone will go to waste.
                            I don't think that we have given our team defense the recognition it deserves.
                            Marrello has 2 goals in 3 games played... I think that's putting the puck in the net.
                            Reilly, Polino and Zieky all have 3 goals so far this season. All 3 are reliable scorers, and I don't see how you could expect much more at this stage. The team is averaging 3.50 goals per game currently.
                            The defense was fine this weekend, but before this weekend, it was atrocious. And let's not pretend that Union has a good offense. (It is in fact one of the worst in the country currently)

Comment

Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
                              ...As for Haulbauer is 5’9 he’s not one of our bigger players. He’s one of our smallest.
                              Halbauer is listed in the roster at 5'11 190 -- and as we've seen with guys like Gornall and before him Jake Wood, some guys play bigger/heavier than their listed weight. My larger point remains --we were an easy team to play against on Saturday night. That can't happen.
                              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                                Marrello has 2 goals in 3 games played... I think that's putting the puck in the net.
                                Reilly, Polino and Zieky all have 3 goals so far this season. All 3 are reliable scorers, and I don't see how you could expect much more at this stage. The team is averaging 3.50 goals per game currently.
                                The defense was fine this weekend, but before this weekend, it was atrocious. And let's not pretend that Union has a good offense. (It is in fact one of the worst in the country currently)
                                I don't want to get into any kind of a contest with you, we are on the same side.
                                We scored 12 goals against UConn (game 1) and Canisius. That is not going to happen in the ECAC unless someone steps up.
                                I think our defense is first rate and will allow us to win some low scoring games, but don't look for 5 or 7 goals to often in this league.
                                Benjamin Franklin
                                Gary Player

Comment

Working...
                                X