Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2019 off-season thread

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
    Anyone know for sure who is coming in new next season ?
    As far as I know, it's still Dustin Manz, Louis Boudon, Niko Esposito-Selivanov, and Robert Blueger at forward, Arvid Henrikson on defense, and Seth Eisele in net. I haven't heard anything about anyone leaving early, but you never know. If anyone does leave early, or not come back for whatever reason, that will likely mean someone additional coming in.

Comment

Thanks Bill. Esposito should be interesting to say the least with his name recognition . Blueger 's brother was the most valuable player for MN State a couple seasons ago. Now it will be interesting to see if we lose anyone between now and the start of the new season . I can't wait until it starts up again but as they say, you don't want to wish your life away , as it is going fast enough .

Comment

Hopefully attendance can go up this coming season with another strong year. It would nice if we can get more Sault, Ontario people to come over to the games. I wonder if there is any way to try and attract the Canadians?
        LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

• Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
          Hopefully attendance can go up this coming season with another strong year. It would nice if we can get more Sault, Ontario people to come over to the games. I wonder if there is any way to try and attract the Canadians?
          Beer?
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Beer?
            Real beer?

Comment

• Originally posted by islander98 View Post
              Real beer?
              That is a good question.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                How long are the (Customs) waits at the bridge these days? Are they longer/shorter than they used to be (10-20-30 years ago)? For games, I guess the late afternoon and evening times are what's most relevant.

Winning more on a consistent basis will probably bring in more fans from across the river.

Having more kids from the Canadian Soo and surrounding area would help. The problem with that is it provides a big recruiting challenge. Most of the talented Northern Ontario kids (Soo, Sudbury, North Bay, Thunder Bay, and all the small towns) seem to want to play Major Junior hockey rather than go the NCAA Div 1 route. I know the coaches still look for players over in the Canadian Soo area, but it's difficult to talk them into playing Div 1 hockey. How much recruiting time are they going to devote to that when the results aren't any better? We do have a Northern Ontario recruit (Jesse Tucker) that has committed to the Lakers, but we got him last year while he was playing in the OJHL. He played at Green Bay in the USHL this season.

Comment

Originally posted by islander98 View Post
                  Real beer?
                  They've had beer at the arena for a few years now. Normal beer, like Miiler, Bud, etc, with some larger crafts, like Bells, along with some local Soo Brewing Company.

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                  How long are the (Customs) waits at the bridge these days? Are they longer/shorter than they used to be (10-20-30 years ago)? For games, I guess the late afternoon and evening times are what's most relevant.

Winning more on a consistent basis will probably bring in more fans from across the river.

Having more kids from the Canadian Soo and surrounding area would help...
                  Customs is really hit or miss. Sometimes you'll see them have 3 or 4 lanes open on the American side, and it goes quick. Other times you may have cars backed up to the arches with only one or two lanes open.

Winning helps, but the bridge fare did go up by .50c this year, so that certainly doesn't help matters, especially with the Greyhounds doing as well as they have been over the last few years.

Concerning local kids: It may help, but if recent history shows anything, Canadians would come over while their guy is playing, but once he graduates/goes pro, they'll be gone again. I doubt it's financially feasible, but if the school could get some sort of partial discount on tickets to help make up for some of the bridge fair, but then they'd have to do something for us Americans too.
                  LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    That is a good question.
                    I guess that my comment was too subtle? I mean real Canadian beer that is at least 5% abv. Not that weak, flavourless Bud or Coors.

Comment

• Originally posted by islander98 View Post
                      I guess that my comment was too subtle? I mean real Canadian beer that is at least 5% abv. Not that weak, flavourless Bud or Coors.
                      No, it was spot on. The difference in abv explains why Canadians drink the building dry when the WJC is in the USA.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

From the Laker Hockey Talk show, it sounds like Mike Mannara will also be joining the Lakers this coming season on D. He has one more year of Junior eligibility but they think he's ready to come in now. Also, they're still working out details of when Notre Dame will come to the Soo for a series but Damon said it will happen (didn't say which season).

Comment

From the Laker Hockey Talk show, it sounds like Mike Mannara will also be joining the Lakers this coming season on D. He has one more year of Junior eligibility but they think he's ready to come in now. Also, they're still working out details of when Notre Dame will come to the Soo for a series but Damon said it will happen (didn't say which season).
                          Sounds like the non conference series with Northern will start up again in 2 years.

Comment

Having more kids from the Canadian Soo and surrounding area would help. The problem with that is it provides a big recruiting challenge. Most of the talented Northern Ontario kids (Soo, Sudbury, North Bay, Thunder Bay, and all the small towns) seem to want to play Major Junior hockey rather than go the NCAA Div 1 route. I know the coaches still look for players over in the Canadian Soo area, but it's difficult to talk them into playing Div 1 hockey. How much recruiting time are they going to devote to that when the results aren't any better? We do have a Northern Ontario recruit (Jesse Tucker) that has committed to the Lakers, but we got him last year while he was playing in the OJHL. He played at Green Bay in the USHL this season.
                            Both the economy and population of sault canada and all of northern ontario have really taken a hit over the past ten years. Long gone are the days when the Canadian side could support both the Hounds and the Lakers. There are alot less high end prospects in the north than back in the glory days of the 70s and 80s. I like the NOJHL; it's a fun league and entertaining hockey but they have few if any legitimate D-1 prospects. The Lakers need to continue concentrating on the more established leagues like the USHL and BCHL for talent while better marketing their product to the entire eastern U.P. for fan support.

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
                              Both the economy and population of sault canada and all of northern ontario have really taken a hit over the past ten years. Long gone are the days when the Canadian side could support both the Hounds and the Lakers. There are alot less high end prospects in the north than back in the glory days of the 70s and 80s. I like the NOJHL; it's a fun league and entertaining hockey but they have few if any legitimate D-1 prospects. The Lakers need to continue concentrating on the more established leagues like the USHL and BCHL for talent while better marketing their product to the entire eastern U.P. for fan support.
                              You mean to tell me that the great Randy Russon, who wrote several articles on how the NCAA D-1 teams in the UP were passing up prime talent in the NOJHL and are all doomed to fail, is wrong? Say it isn't so.....

Comment

Originally posted by CKrouth View Post
                                You mean to tell me that the great Randy Russon, who wrote several articles on how the NCAA D-1 teams in the UP were passing up prime talent in the NOJHL and are all doomed to fail, is wrong? Say it isn't so.....
                                Not to disparage Randy but I think most of us here realize that he is close to the powers that be in the NOJHL and hypes the league as much as he can. Like I said it's a fun league to watch and I really enjoy going to Eagles games, especially when they play the Tbirds but anyone can see that there are few (if any) D-1 caliber players on each team. As far as I can tell the majority of the players go on to either USports hockey in Canada or play at the D III level here. Good hockey and good players but not a league that any D-1 team would spend much time scouting.

Comment

Working...
                                X