Harvard Crimson (again) 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harvard Crimson (again) 2018-19

I don't know if the IVY league restricts the travel budget or is it Harvard itself? Are they more limited then Princeton or Cornell? They have a bigger roster than either of those schools.

Comment

Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
      I don't know if the IVY league restricts the travel budget or is it Harvard itself? Are they more limited then Princeton or Cornell? They have a bigger roster than either of those schools.
      It's the University. I can't speak to Ivy League regs - I would imagine they leave that up to the individual schools. Harvard is notoriously cheap in many areas of the school(especially with staff - you can't imagine the pettiness they impose on the athletic administration). They don't treat alumni all that well either except at reunions and for obvious reasons ($$$). I've spoken to several coaches both current and past and trying to keep pace with scholarship schools is a challenge. Alumni contributions along with other creative sponsorships are ways the school tries to provide the necessary funding. But they could do so much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
        Harvard could recruit more broadly but seem to choose not to. Unless you want to send your kid to a 5th year at Nobles, that is.
        Nobles doesn't do the postgrad thing - prohibited by ISL rules. Plenty of other schools do though...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
          Nobles doesn't do the postgrad thing - prohibited by ISL rules. Plenty of other schools do though...
          Please let me know if I’m wrong but I’ve been told by a few east coast friends that it is very common for players to repeat freshman year entering a prep school for recruiting reasons. Personally, I feel one year probably won’t make a big difference in recruiting- either you have it or you don’t. Unless it’s a goalie- when the grad year can make a big difference.
          Or if a player needs to get grades/test scores up. Regardless, there are a lot of Ivy coaches on the recruiting trail, but not a lot of Harvard sightings. Maybe they don’t go to the big tourneys and just wait for Nationals & u18 Team selections.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
            True, but several girls have taken advantage of an extra year of school/hockey at Nobles by repeating a grade or delaying admission by a year. The five-year high school career for girls seems to becoming more common

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
              It's the University. I can't speak to Ivy League regs - I would imagine they leave that up to the individual schools. Harvard is notoriously cheap in many areas of the school(especially with staff - you can't imagine the pettiness they impose on the athletic administration). They don't treat alumni all that well either except at reunions and for obvious reasons ($$$). I've spoken to several coaches both current and past and trying to keep pace with scholarship schools is a challenge. Alumni contributions along with other creative sponsorships are ways the school tries to provide the necessary funding. But they could do so much more.
              So i know why the scouting budget is so low at Harvard. They just need gas money.

http://www.hnibnews.com/girls-prep-h...alented-group/

not sure why any coaches are going to watch them play this year, as 15 are already committed! (14 @ D1)

Comment

Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
                So i know why the scouting budget is so low at Harvard. They just need gas money.

http://www.hnibnews.com/girls-prep-h...alented-group/

not sure why any coaches are going to watch them play this year, as 15 are already committed! (14 @ D1)
                The commits are getting younger and younger. It is fairly amazing to see high school freshmen already deciding where they want to play after graduation. Of course committing doesn't mean that you're admitted obviously. But it is an indication of how our coaches have to somehow both convince the recruit and then work with admissions to try and get them in. This is a lot harder to do at Harvard then at scholarship schools.

Comment

They went out today to confront the #6 team in the nation dressing....13 skaters. No Gilmore, Petri, Tresca or Moy up front, no Tse or Macdonald on the blue line. And Heffernan has had to call it a career.
                  Will there be no end to the misfortune of this wretched year?

Comment

Originally posted by Watson Rink View Post
                    They went out today to confront the #6 team in the nation dressing....13 skaters. No Gilmore, Petri, Tresca or Moy up front, no Tse or Macdonald on the blue line. And Heffernan has had to call it a career.
                    Give them credit: if only 2/3rds of the roster play, then everyone reaches their normal number of minutes about 2/3rds of the way through the game and, sure enough, it was almost at the 2/3rds point of the game that the roof fell in. How they held them scoreless in the third period is a testament to their guts.

Comment

Give them credit: if only 2/3rds of the roster play, then everyone reaches their normal number of minutes about 2/3rds of the way through the game and, sure enough, it was almost at the 2/3rds point of the game that the roof fell in. How they held them scoreless in the third period is a testament to their guts.
                      Yes indeed, but when you consider that after their first shift nothing about their remaining minutes was normal you have to double the guts testament. Well, we at least know Petrie will return, but Tresca hasn't played since early November and who knows what's up with the others. To have these absences after the holiday break is alarming. This makes re-building a little tough.

P.S. The only player who never seems to show fatigue, whatever the circumstances, is Fusco, who was playing her 103rd game for Harvard.
                      Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 01-05-2019, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
                        P.S. The only player who never seems to show fatigue, whatever the circumstances, is Fusco, who was playing her 103rd game for Harvard.
                        Must be the good genes.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          Must be the good genes.
                          Indeed.

Comment

It's not just this season. For the past ten years, the program has gone through player injuries (most notably concussions), players quitting or recruits decommitting to play elsewhere. This adds up to a lot of turnover and a lack of continuity. I can't speak to their training methods but their facilities are great so they don't lack for proper equipment. Call it bad luck or something else but at some point, something has to give. They have been trending down and have not been a factor in the ECAC or the national scene for the past few years. It doesn't look like this will change any time soon.

Comment

Things changed when MC left! Both programs saw impact from this move.

Comment

They ought to be proud of the final four minutes of the Dmth game in which they played 5-on-3 for about 1:40 and 5-on-4 or 6-on-5 for the remainder, and completed their shutout of Dmth

Comment

Working...
                                X