Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cars: 2015

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
    I have a buddy who was a salesman at a no-haggle dealership selling Mazdas for a while. I was surprised when he told me how many cars he sold after straight-up telling people that they could probably get the same car cheaper somewhere else. He's a REALLY good salesman though. He sells Bentleys and Maseratis now. Sold a Ferrari to Boogaard. Still doesn't know how he fit.
    My future FIL worked as a salesman for one of the local Cadillac dealerships; he told me that his line he used with customers was, "I promise, you pay more anywhere else!" He'd say it with a smile on his face and a chuckle in his voice, but he was completely serious. He was their top salesman for something like 15 years straight.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Not aware of any no-haggle dealerships here. I did get pre-approval for a pretty good rate from my credit union, so plan on using them rather than dealer financing. There were a few cars I test drove last time and didn't like - thinking I should try them again (VW Jetta and maybe one of the Hyundais). Uggggggggghgh. When is Amazon going to start selling cars?

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
        Not aware of any no-haggle dealerships here. I did get pre-approval for a pretty good rate from my credit union, so plan on using them rather than dealer financing. There were a few cars I test drove last time and didn't like - thinking I should try them again (VW Jetta and maybe one of the Hyundais). Uggggggggghgh. When is Amazon going to start selling cars?
        Per my brother, mechanic for 22+ years now...don't touch the infamous German engineering. I was day-dreaming about an Audi TT, and he flat out said: You buy one, don't even bother to call me to look at it for maintenance. And this was before the big scandal.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

They're just set up differently, and mechanics here don't have as much experience with them. Makes them frustrating to work with. This combined with the increased cost of the parts scare most people off. If you get a good warranty and have a VW shop (no I do not mean dealership) nearby it isn't so bad. The mistake I made with mine was buying it in the first place. It was obviously tracked. It looked great, but the inner-workings were beat on pretty hard. I foolishly decided to ignore this and made the purchase.
          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
            They're just set up differently, and mechanics here don't have as much experience with them. Makes them frustrating to work with. This combined with the increased cost of the parts scare most people off. If you get a good warranty and have a VW shop (no I do not mean dealership) nearby it isn't so bad. The mistake I made with mine was buying it in the first place. It was obviously tracked. It looked great, but the inner-workings were beat on pretty hard. I foolishly decided to ignore this and made the purchase.
            Plus a lot of these companies are requiring their cars to be serviced by their own licensed mechanics and are using proprietary parts as a barrier to entry. You can't even change your own oil on a BMW these days, or even take it to Jiffy Lube. Gotta shell out $300 at the stealership for a BMW certified tech to pop the proprietary screws on the cover protecting the oil cap and do it for you.
            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
              Plus a lot of these companies are requiring their cars to be serviced by their own licensed mechanics and are using proprietary parts as a barrier to entry. You can't even change your own oil on a BMW these days, or even take it to Jiffy Lube. Gotta shell out $300 at the stealership for a BMW certified tech to pop the proprietary screws on the cover protecting the oil cap and do it for you.
              If that's the case with VW cars (and their companies)....

If I'm understanding it correctly, say my Audi is out of warranty, so it doesn't matter, I couldn't have my brother do stuff on his own time? I don't even know how that's enforceable....
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                If that's the case with VW cars (and their companies)....

If I'm understanding it correctly, say my Audi is out of warranty, so it doesn't matter, I couldn't have my brother do stuff on his own time? I don't even know how that's enforceable....
                Patents. Create unique screw driver heads, odd shaped connectors of various sizes, and then not license the patents. When they finally run out, the model will be old enough for the original owners to not have much care at that point.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  Patents. Create unique screw driver heads, odd shaped connectors of various sizes, and then not license the patents. When they finally run out, the model will be old enough for the original owners to not have much care at that point.
                  I bet a good mechanic could jury-rig something up.

Comment

Volkswagens are junk. It's pretty simple

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      Volkswagens are junk. It's pretty simple

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                      I'm on my second, with zero issues outside of dieselgate. Loved the Tiguan, love my Touareg even more.

Comment

• Originally posted by jen View Post
                        ive been happy with my Hyundai 3+ years in.

My aunt works for a different car dealership ($$$$) in your area, but i dont think those are what you are looking for.
                        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

My first Audi was a V5. Bought it with about 40,000 miles on it and the clutch went out during my first drive after purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                            I heartily recommend the Mini Cooper. I have the 2008 and it gets ~37 miles to the gallon (mostly highway and a stickshift). It is surprisingly good in the snow d/t it's weight. I would recommend it if you're overly tall, but my hubs drives it and he's 6'ish 300ish. I will get the S model next time, though the base model comes with "sport" mode.
                            Short wheelbase and FWD helps in the snow. I have a 2011 Ford Focus that gets 37 on the highway and 32 in town... with an automatic. Have fun with the Mini.

Comment

Originally posted by Berkshire BU Fan View Post
                              Short wheelbase and FWD helps in the snow. I have a 2011 Ford Focus that gets 37 on the highway and 32 in town... with an automatic. Have fun with the Mini.
                              I've since sold the Mini. Driving a 2018 Civic Hatchback Sport. (Still stickshift though ).

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                                I've since sold the Mini. Driving a 2018 Civic Hatchback Sport. (Still stickshift though ).
                                Speaking of which, how is the Civic treating you?

I'm having ha-ha-only-serious thoughts of treating myself to something midrange sporty yet daily drivable in a couple years, and the Civic Type R would fit my bill (if I can restrain myself from puffing a 3-foot vape cloud and yelling at everyone nearby to smash that like, follow, and subscribe button like a boss every time I get out.)

The gut answer is wait a couple more years and score a used C7 Corvette, but the problem with that is the real world has things like speed bumps and potholes (my dad picked up a C5 and he's petrified to drive it due mostly to the above, and I can't say I blame him.)
                                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Working...
                                X