Minnesota Gophers Season Thread 2015-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread 2015-16

“Coming from a non-hockey background, it’s kind of hard for me to imagine a fan in the state of Minnesota who wouldn’t be excited to see...Michigan State come in to play”
    I hate to over simplify things, but that pretty much tells you what you need to know about how well the Big 10 understands college hockey in general and Gopher hockey in particular.

Comment

Is there any sport outside of basketball where we're excited to see MSU come to town?
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
        I hate to over simplify things, but that pretty much tells you what you need to know about how well the Big 10 understands college hockey in general and Gopher hockey in particular.
        There were a couple articles that dx and I linked to, explaining why we are Gopher fans, and how hockey fans are just...different (to be polite) from other sports fans. The following was something I posted, and it's in relation to the quote that Stauber is referencing:

1. If you are not a true hockey fan, if it's not something that you just had in your blood, you won't ever really get it. You just won't.
        2. If you're not a college hockey fan, ESPECIALLY a Gopher fan, you REALLY won't get it. And never will.

I used to be a pro hockey guy. About 15 years ago, a roommate (big Gophs fan) started me into college hockey. I never looked back. Each year, my fandom for the Gophers and the college game grew, and grew, and grew. I can't imagine NOT being a Gophers fan at this point, and wish I knew as a kid what I know now. IF I happen to miss a game on the radio or tv, the first thing I do when I can is ask "Anyone know how MN did?"

We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Hockey fans are a different breed of fan, and the Gopher fans are the creme de la creme of the bunch.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
          So everyone too sick of the B1G to talk about the article on the front page?

http://www.uscho.com/2016/02/10/big-...-future-plans/

Couple quotes that stood out:

And:

This was interesting to me, in that talking to a parent of a recruit that chose to go elsewhere, while the main reason was that it 'felt like the right place' to the kid after a few visits, the parent also said that no longer playing teams in MN and close to home (that he grew up watching the Gophers play) might have been a contributing factor to the players choice of school (a former WCHA rival of MN). So in addition to the B1G being down in quality of teams, the distance to opponents and unfamiliarity might actually have some effect on recruiting success as well.
          Traviolia starts off a lot of his sentences are paragraphs with "I" statements. That tells us that he really doesn't know his product or his consumers and has to guess or speculate on far too many topics that should have solid data available if only he and his team understood it. It tells us that the B1G Mistake isn't truly taking hockey as seriously as the fans want. The other thing it could tell us is that Traviolia is in this for himself, really likes to hear himself speak, and is bringing this subject in to focus on what he can do personally. It's the power of I-statements.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Couple of thoughts. First, Traviolia is B1G's COO and CFO...which to me says he's #2 in running the day to day conference (#3 overall). He's a heavyweight.

Having said that, much of the article is non news. He really doesn't say anything substantive. We might expand and attendance is below what we want...no news. Likewise, I don't know why anyone would get upset at him, the article or the B1G. They could add a few more games to BTN...beyond that, I don't know what else would be expected of them. IMHO.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

How about they just admit they *** up and put back the conferences the way they were. Hell we will even take becky back, even though they suck ***, Anchorage needs someone to beat, might as well be becky.

Give Penn State to the CCHA. No one cares about them or the CCHA so that's perfect. Maybe then Michigan can go back to winning their conference again.

We can just forget this 3 year "experiment" and go back to playing against NoDak, UMD, Jan Brady, Denver etc... the others can come too.

Comment

Dear Traviolia

Gopher fans don't care about Michigan State (ohio state, penn state) hockey, sorry we just don't. I would rather play Tech CC or even the beavers than MSU. The only team I enjoy playing (watching) from the horrible B1G is Michigan and becky (when she's competitive which will be a long time if they keep eaves) Thanks for wrecking my college hockey game day experience.

A Gopher Fan

Comment

It really has been an experiment. The biggest potential benefit for the program was national exposure...and related benefits. The exposure is there but viewership is spotty at best...and implications are not visible and probably non existent. The biggest potential damage was breaking up the WCHA family. That's turned out to be every bit damaging as was feared.

Unfortunately, the only B1G school for which the BTHC hasn't been good is MN. UW might end up getting hit the hardest and we know how Barry feels (or know that he doesn't feel). The CCHA wasn't a dreamboat situation for MI or MSU. Sadly, there will be no going back...and the only change going forward is potential affiliate expansion.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    Hockey fans are a different breed of fan, and the Gopher fans are the creme de la creme of the bunch.
                    Creme de la creme? You guys can't even get Emptyucci arena filled! Bunch of fair weather jerks with Walmart jerseys. Creme de la creme? More like curdled milk.
                    "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                    Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                    The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                    Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                      Creme de la creme? You guys can't even get Emptyucci arena filled! Bunch of fair weather jerks with Walmart jerseys. Creme de la creme? More like curdled milk.
                      Tickets are sold. Blame the corpies for not showing up. Can't buy tickets that are not for sale.

Hey, how did your game go last night?
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Tickets are sold. Blame the corpies for not showing up. Can't buy tickets that are not for sale.

There are 6k corporate tickets? Get real. UND's game was like your season, a big loss but at least it was fun to watch and the fans showed up.
                        "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                        Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

There are 6k corporate tickets? Get real. UND's game was like your season, a big loss but at least it was fun to watch and the fans showed up.
                          Are you really playing the "fun to watch" card? How the mighty have fallen.

Comment

Are you really playing the "fun to watch" card? How the mighty have fallen.
                            There's over 250 tickets for the UMICH game Friday night starting at $18, better crack that piggy bank before the corporate no shows scoop them up!

Comment

somehow, Minnesota has played a tough schedule, while UND has been cupcakes. Why is that?
                              XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                              Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

C'mon Brent... it was our 4th loss on the season. And this is a down year for NoDak.

Comment

Working...
                                X