X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Tech Offseason Thread

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    The Rockford Metrocentre (now the BMO Harris Bank Center) has a good sized jumbo-tron that I think would fit what MTU wants (and what I wish NMU would get). It's not overly huge for the arena, and has a small ring board around the bottom. It looks small in the 6500 seat Metrocentre, which makes me think it would be appropriately sized for a 3k arena.

The one that Michigan put into Yost is just ridiculous. It would be like jamming the Dallas Cowboys jumbotron into Dee Arena.
    i believe Michigan Tech is looking at a jumbotron from Mitsubishi...

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    That was pretty much what I heard NMU did. There was one available in MQT that they tried for one season, and after all their injuries, they gave it up.

I think I was laughed at by some of you when I suggested that it may be part of your team's problems.
    I think the reason we were defensive is because there were so many unrelated injuries, but if you take out 10-25% when you consider how many we had...that would still make a huge difference in available players, etc.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

So we spent a crap load of money on it for nothing, great

Oh well, maybe they will be able to sell it off and recoup a bit of money. Whatever they did this season I will not complain about, can't argue with those results. And whoever makes the the jumbotron it better use Cree LEDs as teh picture source.
      2005-2006: 7-25-6
      2006-2007: 18-17-5
      2007-2008: 14-20-5
      2008-2009: 6-25-7
      2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
        So we spent a crap load of money on it for nothing, great

Oh well, maybe they will be able to sell it off and recoup a bit of money. Whatever they did this season I will not complain about, can't argue with those results. And whoever makes the the jumbotron it better use Cree LEDs as teh picture source.
        An alumnus paid for the treadmill.

Nope most LED display manufacturers use Nichia LEDs.
        Originally posted by SCSU Euro
        What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
          An alumnus paid for the treadmill. Nope most LED display manufacturers use Nichia LEDs.
          Becks

I think the jury is still out on the treadmill being good or bad. Like most things it's somewhere in-between and more of an issue of how, possibly when and by whom it is used.

Comment

An alumnus paid for the treadmill.

Nope most LED display manufacturers use Nichia LEDs.
            Ok, at least it wasn't money from the hockey fund then. Tech should really build an olympic sheet somewhere for the team to use, would allow for practice on the bigger sheet before playing teams that use it and would allow more ice time for the team.

All the LED boards that went in at U of M used Cree LEDs, I know that for a fact.
            2005-2006: 7-25-6
            2006-2007: 18-17-5
            2007-2008: 14-20-5
            2008-2009: 6-25-7
            2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Isn't beck's beer?

So if the treadmill is going, that free's up the room for use in another way, yes? Sorry it didn't work out though. Feel bad for that alum who paid for it. maybe we can sell it to someone from Denver.
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                Isn't beck's beer?
                Never tell that to a German.

If they uninstall the treadmill, it can really only be used as a small office off the main conference room. As I recall, the room is not that big. The treadmill is on a raised platform, with the motor set underneath.

I doubt they will actually remove the treadmill. It may eventually get some limited use, who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  If they uninstall the treadmill, it can really only be used as a small office off the main conference room.
                  Speaking of the conference room, it's no more. It was remodeled into a player's lounge with couches, televisions, and game tables.
                  What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Speaking of the conference room, it's no more. It was remodeled into a player's lounge with couches, televisions, and game tables.
                    So I noticed when I attended the Winter Carnival BLC Hangover Luncheon. Had to walk around to find the new location.

Comment

I've taken a few days to reflect on the closing game and the season. One thing I noticed right from the opening face-off (other than the missed shots) is that Tech's D was very agressive in pinching down. On multiple occasions per period this kept Tech alive in the O-zone and helped them sustain pressure. It was clear from the drop of the puck that Tech was playing to win with nothing to lose. I was sitting with a group of UND fans during the game and they were impressed with Tech's play.

Overall a great season that I think exceeded any fan's expections from this past fall. I was happy with the DU game. Tech had a chance to win and just got a bad bounce at the end.

Not really related to Tech, but there was a sly smirk on my face as UND rolled the Gophers in the third period of the WCHA semi-final game. That game was the definition of "the wheels coming off" for a team. If the Gophers lose their opening NCAA game, they are going to be thinking about the semi-final game all summer.

I'm not a fan of the Mac being expanded....right now. Pack the seating we have now, then think about more seats (unless they see more suites as a needed positive cash flow item). A packed small rink looks better than a 50% full big rink. A scoreboard with video would get some financial support from me. It's really the only major element the Mac lacks compared to most other rinks.

Ryan J
                      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                      Originally posted by geezer
                      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                      Originally posted by manurespreader
                      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

So this has probably been discussed, but as many as you know I haven't been around very much lately.

Is tech trying to hang something at center ice like at most Hockey arenas, or are they are going to accept the simple fact that they have limited space and instead put a scoreboard/jumbotron at the ends of the arena more like a football field. I think the football field approach would be much better at the JMSIA.
                        Just so we never forget.

Originally posted by MeanEgirl to hockeybando
                        *****... *** do you think you're doing?! Getting on USCHO and making racial comments about The Darkness?! I'm not going to stand for this! He's my friend ... so the next time I see you, I'm whooping your ***!
                        Originally posted by nmupiccdiva

(insert joke about an NMU girl and insertion here)

Comment

Originally posted by The Darkness View Post
                          So this has probably been discussed, but as many as you know I haven't been around very much lately.

Is tech trying to hang something at center ice like at most Hockey arenas, or are they are going to accept the simple fact that they have limited space and instead put a scoreboard/jumbotron at the ends of the arena more like a football field. I think the football field approach would be much better at the JMSIA.
                          It will be a centerhung display. The wall is being reserved for future developments in the works. It wouldn't make sense to make an investment on a display only to scrap it in a few years because some donor suddenly donates to finish the renovations.

Comment

center hung. Air Force has the end wall version. it works out quite well.
                            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

It will be a centerhung display. The wall is being reserved for future developments in the works. It wouldn't make sense to make an investment on a display only to scrap it in a few years because some donor suddenly donates to finish the renovations.
                              I don't think center hung videoboards work that well in smaller areanas. My biggest concern would be for the people in those nice boxes that were recently put in. If the videoboard in the arean hang any lower then the cuirrent scoreboard how would that effect their sightlines?

Besides if you have endzone videos boards and you expand the arena why can't you just move the video board and hang it above the added seating?
                              Just so we never forget.

Originally posted by MeanEgirl to hockeybando
                              *****... *** do you think you're doing?! Getting on USCHO and making racial comments about The Darkness?! I'm not going to stand for this! He's my friend ... so the next time I see you, I'm whooping your ***!
                              Originally posted by nmupiccdiva

(insert joke about an NMU girl and insertion here)

Comment

Originally posted by The Darkness View Post
                                I don't think center hung videoboards work that well in smaller areanas. My biggest concern would be for the people in those nice boxes that were recently put in. If the videoboard in the arean hang any lower then the cuirrent scoreboard how would that effect their sightlines?

Besides if you have endzone videos boards and you expand the arena why can't you just move the video board and hang it above the added seating?
                                The geometry of MacInnes Ice arena would not cause a new centerhung to block the other end of the ice, especially since a new board could actually be hung closer to the trusses. The plans for that end would not allow for an end wall, since above the concourse level would be a crows nest for the pep band.

Comment

Working...
                                X