This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason Thread

3 drafted players on the team at the same time, when was the last time we had that?

Let's just hope they do better than the last drafted player before this crop (Jordan Foote), who really turned out to be not much of anything.
    2005-2006: 7-25-6
    2006-2007: 18-17-5
    2007-2008: 14-20-5
    2008-2009: 6-25-7
    2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
      3 drafted players on the team at the same time, when was the last time we had that?
      1998–99

David Weninger (1996, 74th, Washington)
      Mat Snesrud (1997, 181st, Anaheim)
      Paul Cabana (1998, 149th, Vancouver)

Comment

Also, don't forget the article about C.J. Eick from Saturday, good offseason coverage by Stephen Anderson.

http://www.mininggazette.com/page/co....html?nav=5009

From the draft article I liked this paragraph. It seems to speak volumes of Mel's connections in the hockey world and how lucky we are to have Mel on staff. It's nice that he knows people in the Oilers organization and has confidence Jujhar will be here.

Pearson knows several people in the Oilers organization (GM Steve Tambellini, whose son Jeff played under Pearson at the University of Michigan; head scout Stu MacGregor; and Oiler scout and Michigan Tech alum Chris Cichocki) and he feels comfortable the Oilers will be fine with Khaira taking the college route.

Comment

special edition of the MP show tomorrow at 8:30. Be good if someone can recap (probably the same stuff he already told the paper.)
          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

The Mel Pearson show today:
            I missed the first couple minutes, I think they just talked generally about the draft. I also only focused on Tech/WCHA stuff. They also talked about Ben Johnson and Jeff BLashill.

On Jujhar:
            63rd is about where Mel expected Jujhar would go
            Give credit to Jamie, Mikesh and Whitten
            Also, alum Ed Dempsey was the Prince George coach and he gave Tech a heads up about Jujhar early
            Everett in the WHL has his rights, and they will put pressure on him until he gets to school and will likely continue to do so afterwards
            Mel talked to Oilers GM yesterday, Steve has no issues with Tech and noted their improvement last year
            Tyipcally the Oilers leave it up to the family and player
            Overall great conversation with Steve Tambolini, he values education
            He's a very good student, Mel got to meet his whole family and you could tell they value education

On Jamie Phillips:
            He started in BCHL, and got traded so he could play more
            Had a great playoff, teams took notice
            Sometimes NHL teams contact the school about the player pre-draft, and Mel had a lot of conversation with Winnepeg, conversely didn't talk to Edmonton at all about Jujhar
            Jets noted two Freshmen goalies, can't guarantee anything, but Jamie will get some time at the beginning of the year

On the captains:
            Carl Nielson selected
            It can be done different ways, team vote, coach pick etc
            Looking for another coach in the locker room
            This year they did a team vote, Mel handed out a sheet beforehand describring what a captain is
            Carl fills that description, he's come into his own as a player
            He's a good communicator, Seigo will be an A and Stebner as well
            Stebner stepped up in a big way last year
            Mel would've picked the same guys if he had a vote
            Good for Stebner, may have improved the most last year

Blake Pietila:
            Was invited to tryout for US World Junior team
            He had a great year, a lot of people noticed him
            It's the first week in August, World Juniors in Russia this year
            He has a chance to make the team, and would miss the GLI
            Mel has dealt with that at Michigan, it gives others the opportunity to step up

Scoreboard:
            Rink is in great shape, need a few upgrades
            The floor is done, ahead of schedule, 3-4 weeks time they'll start it up, early August have ice
            Need a scoreboard, only team that doesn't have one
            We're hoping for Christmas, if not a year from this fall
            Was in Vancouver recently met with Alums
            Went to Calgary and had 20 formers players show up, talked hockey and did fundraising
            Went to Edmonton and met with a player from the 70s, he made a significant donation yesterday
            Anyone that wants to donate, call the office or call Mel
            OVerall, got to touch base with alumni and get their feeling on things, all of them enjoyed their time in copper country and Tech

Questions:
            Can Mel talk about what he does during the summer, maybe travel?
            Mel and his wife have said why would you want to travel in the summer, don't travel unless it's busniess. Mel may go to his 35th high school reunion. Golfs when he can.

Jujhar said he'd talk to Edmonton about what they want him to do, do colleges talk to NHL or do they make their case to the player?
            They talk to the player directly. Mel did call Edmonton, thinks that important. Asked Edmonton if there's a certain position, no, play him where you want to play him. Edmonton will back us and him to go to Michigan Tech.

Which Freshman can contribute, which will have a difficult transition to college game?
            Hard to answer at this time. Jujhar has had success at BCHL level, could come in ready to go. CJ Eick may be ready to go, just by his skating ability alone. Petan had three yeras of junior hockey, he could be ready. Biggest question is goaltending, like both of them, great athletes.

Nate Tromp still in the mix for goalie?
            No he's not, last Christmas he decided he wanted to concentrate on his studies more.

Can Mel reflect his first year as head coach, changes from being an assistant vs. head coach?
            Love the copper country and weather. Love the smaller community, get to know people better. A number of times him and his wife have said how happy they are to be here. Plan to be here a long time. More demands being a head coach, schedule, budget, recruiting etc. As an assistant, you do recruit and that's mostly it, especially in the off-season.
            Really encouraged by the future of our program, good kids in the program. So many positives.

Dirks questions - Postseason in the nWCHA and the Alaska teams always playing in the 1st round?
            The average fan may not see the issues. Having both Alaska schools in the same league, creates issues, financially, travel, wear and tear, missed school time etc. There are so many uncertanties, Karr originally came up with the idea at Fairbanks, he has since moved to the AD at NMU. It does give one of the two to get to final five every year. Probably the best scenario, Mel thinks it will be fine. The best team will still have the opportunity to win the tournament and a birth to the NCAA.

Due to playoff structure, not a very good chance we'll have a 10th team?
            No, but everything is still on the table, even playoff format, but for now needed to create structure.

Mel's thoughts on UConn to Hockey East?
            Happy for them, they're a big east. They just got a new AD, he was the associate AD of hockey at Michigan. Maybe not Hunstville could go to the Atlantic or maybe our leage, who knows.

Thanks to all our supporters, this summer. Muckalt and Whitten recruiting, both on the road abotu 20 days in June. Will have some time to relax. Shields had a big say in desiging jerseys. He's anxious to get back, Mel recently talked to him. Plenty for him to do.

The new Jersey will be out Thursday or Friday.

We have a new athletics website, it should be up and running today.

Mel does think we could get the scoreboard during the season, we need the money first though. Still a possibility.

Comment

Also, Dirk said they'd talk about Reddick but never did.

From Stephen Anderson's twitter last night, a decision on Reddick should come in 2-4 days.

Also, he tweeted Pearson felt we made great strides with the Track A conditioning program this summer.

Comment

Thanks for the summary, mtu_huskies.

Glad to hear about the conditioning program. After the strides they took last year, it would've been easy to cut them a little slack and just send them home with their conditioning plans. Instead, they stayed and worked together.

I would be pretty surprised if Bryce got a sixth year. Gwilliam was an easier case to make; Reddick only had the one medical hardship.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  I would be pretty surprised if Bryce got a sixth year. Gwilliam was an easier case to make; Reddick only had the one medical hardship.
                  Reddick's only been at the school for four years.

Comment

Great summary. Any chance of more of these type of updates, special interviews?

Comment

Thanks for the summary, mtu_huskies.

Glad to hear about the conditioning program. After the strides they took last year, it would've been easy to cut them a little slack and just send them home with their conditioning plans. Instead, they stayed and worked together.

Bryce didn't have any medical hardships...
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        Bryce didn't have any medical hardships...
                        I thought he got one that time he was sent to the hospital in Marquette with some crazy medical issue and missed the rest of the year. My bad.

Comment

Ant comments on the new MTU Athletics website? Just a start but surely better then before.

http://michigantechhuskies.com/landing/index

Comment

I'll call that an improvement, though I'm not a fan of the picture background trend.

Comment

I'll call that an improvement, though I'm not a fan of the picture background trend.
                              agreed, though it was unstable with my older version of safari and some of the links didn't work well for me, firefox worked fine.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Mount Rushmore voting is up and running for Tech

Comment

Working...
                                X