This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason Thread

I've been to nearly every GLi since 1970, and almost always it was a top eastern team. The bringing in of western teams is not that attractive to me, as I'd much rather have a HE or ECAC team. Though I understand the attendance issue, I don't see DU drawing fans( I doubt Cc drew anyone two years ago) and it's hard for me to imaging hosting Denver and being polite. It's like hosting the guy who got your daughter pregnant, he might be a good guy but you are not happy with his act. Plus they hate traveling to Houghton, but Detroit is ok?, and why give them the publicity. If we have to have another Michigan team, lets have Ferris, (the WCHA teams need the help, the nchc not so much)

This might have to do with who was available but these three picks are not as good as the past teams if you ask me. Also it might be that the other hosts had something to say about it.
    I think if Tech has better teams, more Tech fans will show up. In the recent past, routinely being embarrassed in front of your U of M co workers was less than fun.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

CC brought a handful of their players' parents. I figure Denver will probably be the same.

I agree the WMU repeat is unnecessary, but you have to look at it purely from the financial perspective of the tourney organizers. In the near future, I see the GLI primarily inviting other Michigan schools in an effort to maximize attendance, with an "outside" team appearing every third or fourth year. In fact, I am a little surprised that this hasn't been tried already, because it seems like ticket sales have dwindled almost every year that I've gone (since 2004).

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        The Denver choice is odd. Western, I get - they want to try and boost falling attendance, and WMU has the potential to bring in about as many fans as Tech does (though MAC football will always reign supreme there).
        Which is sad because Western's football team sucks. #fireupchips

Purely conjecture, is it possible that they could have already had WMU booked before the Outdoor GLI happened?
        Originally posted by Jon
        You call everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
          I also do not understand how Denver could be selected.
          Why?
          Could be for MTU's scheduling reasons. A potential "GLI, at Denver, host Denver" could have been agreed upon. Or it's just "GLI, at Denver" for MTU.

Or, UM/MSU have that agreement with DU.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            Could be for MTU's scheduling reasons. A potential "GLI, at Denver, host Denver" could have been agreed upon. Or it's just "GLI, at Denver" for MTU.

Or, UM/MSU have that agreement with DU.
            It won't be MSU/UM...Michigan chooses to have Michigan State in the GLI every year, Michigan Tech gets to choose the other team...I highly doubt there is any kind of scheduling reason, Denver has never been mentioned in any of the non-conference discussions I've heard and there aren't that many NC games available to "need" that kind of arrangement.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              CC brought a handful of their players' parents. I figure Denver will probably be the same.

I agree the WMU repeat is unnecessary, but you have to look at it purely from the financial perspective of the tourney organizers. In the near future, I see the GLI primarily inviting other Michigan schools in an effort to maximize attendance, with an "outside" team appearing every third or fourth year. In fact, I am a little surprised that this hasn't been tried already, because it seems like ticket sales have dwindled almost every year that I've gone (since 2004).
              I assume it is because the rest of the Michigan schools were in the same conference as Michigan and Michigan State...
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                I assume it is because the rest of the Michigan schools were in the same conference as Michigan and Michigan State...
                Denver was probably an standing invite before the "apocalypse."
                Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

If thats the case, we should have given Denver the boot and found someone new. Non-Ivy ECAC teams are always looking for non conference games. Invite Union, RPI, St. Lawrence, Clarkson, Quinnipiac...
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

My guess is that they did it to annoy everyone here.
                    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Denver will travel with their usual 20-25 fans. they were chosen because of the deep satisfaction that will come with having 3 Michigan teams beat them. Gwoz can buy the team coneys and cheap hookers instead of ice cream. and Detroit hotels? who cares if they get trashed.
                      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                        My guess is that they did it to annoy everyone here.
                        It's nice to see the douchebaggery has moved up I-35 and infested duluth too...

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          Oh, don't worry, it has been there all along. Exhibit A: Everything Ciskie has ever said or written (Same could be said for RWD)
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            That was my nice wording too ... I think it's been there a while... Just ask DHG.
                            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Looky here...Sertich presser from when he took the job in 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                                Looky here...Sertich presser from when he took the job in 2000.
                                wow, JEFF Cabana played hockey for MTU huh?

Comment

Working...
                                X