This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason Thread

You can see the yellow rows of seats. You would just see the grey concrete floor if the seats were removed.

Comment

Yes, the seats are in still in place, they're just covered like everything else is. It looks like it's just a dirt floor at this point that they're smoothing out.

Comment

I hate to break it to all of you, but I would guess that watching the construction won't be that interesting.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          I hate to break it to all of you, but I would guess that watching the construction won't be that interesting.
          ^ Obviously not a civil engineer.
          Originally posted by SCSU Euro
          What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
            Nothing moves! That's not interesting! Mechanical Engineer, FTW.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
              Nothing moves! That's not interesting! Mechanical Engineer, FTW.
              It takes a lot of work to make sure things don't move, because of they do, people die. Theost interesting part should be when they pour the floor in one continuous action. It takes a lot of coordination.
              Originally posted by SCSU Euro
              What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

It takes a lot of work to make sure things don't move, because of they do, people die. Theost interesting part should be when they pour the floor in one continuous action. It takes a lot of coordination.
                It all seems boring to me.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

It doesn't take a civil engineer to have a pumper truck with boom on site for the concrete trucks to empty into. Nor does it take a civil engineering degree to have a bunch of laborers and finishers work the concrete smooth.

All that takes is some muscle, and union labor.
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                    It doesn't take a mechanical engineer to have a pumper truck with boom on site for the concrete trucks to empty into. Nor does it take a mechanical engineering degree to have a bunch of laborers and finishers work the concrete smooth.

All that takes is some muscle, and union labor.
                    Yeah, screw the **** unions.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

And, with the dirt overlay protecting the coolant lines, they might be able to even drive the concrete trucks right up to where the band used to be, and start pouring concrete working their way towards the service door/blank wall.

I think a pumping truck would make better sense in allowing for a more constant flow, and less weight over the dirt/coolant lines.

<--- Not a civil engineer, but I am a construction management major. Still a little bitter Gundlach Champion didn't hire me seven years ago...

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                        And, with the dirt overlay protecting the coolant lines, they might be able to even drive the concrete trucks right up to where the band used to be, and start pouring concrete working their way towards the service door/blank wall.

I think a pumping truck would make better sense in allowing for a more constant flow, and less weight over the dirt/coolant lines.

<--- Not a civil engineer, but I am a construction management major. Still a little bitter Gundlach Champion didn't hire me seven years ago...
                        Wouldn't the cooling lines be in the concrete that is going to be poured, not in the dirt? It doesn't make much sense to have them in dirt, I'd think that the dirt would be a disadvantage for heat conduction reasons.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          Wouldn't the cooling lines be in the concrete that is going to be poured, not in the dirt? It doesn't make much sense to have them in dirt, I'd think that the dirt would be a disadvantage for heat conduction reasons.
                          Yeah, you're right, I just saw in the one webcam of a thin layer of dirt being placed over what looked like cooling lines. I thought maybe they were just going to put a thin set slab on top of that.

Here's a good article about how it's done with the cooling lines in the concrete:
                          http://www.forconstructionpros.com/a.../under-the-ice

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Aha. Reading more into it, what they laid down were heating pipes to prevent the ground under the rink from freezing. They'll build up that layer, then put the cooling lines into the concrete slab.

http://iceskatingresources.org/HowAnIceArenaWorks.pdf

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

You know what they say...
                              Mechanical engineers build weapons, civil engineers build targets.

Ryan J
                              ME
                              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                              Originally posted by geezer
                              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                              Originally posted by manurespreader
                              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

So youre say the sum of all youre forces has to equal 0 and youre good? Sounds pretty easy and boring.
                                Originally posted by Twitch Boy
                                Like the sign out front says, "the price of freedom is visible here."

Comment

Working...
                                X