Official UNH Wildcats Offseason Thread 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Official UNH Wildcats Offseason Thread 2012

I always come back to be careful what you wish for... Army, Sneddon even Cahoon were big "hits" at their schools when hired. Would you trade Umile for any of them? A flip is who in Hockey East would you trade Umile for going forward not past wins? York - yes, Dennehy, Leamen or Bazin - maybe not the track record but certainly the potential, Parker or Whitehead - I wouldn't, I don't even consider the other 3.

My issue is recruiting is not performing as it should. The talent isn't getting on campus. Doing the same thing over and over again (since Borek arrived in 2002) and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. Borek seems to be a nice guy and I wouldn't argue that he is high energy, however there is something fundamentally flawed in the current strategy. Maybe Borek just can't see the talent, there is a story about Standbrook and Crowder at Maine - Crowder couldn't see the talent.

Beyond just identifying the kids there is a problem in the process with getting them on campus, be it admissions or to me the bigger issue is deferrals. I worry the deferrals are less about talent and more about the 18 being filled so the money isn't available. In many cases by some other deferral finally coming in, it is a "cap space" problem and it is costing UNH hockey credibility more than the players.

I have always been told in general Umile is HC and does forward work, Tortorella is the D, PK and Goalies, Borek is Recruiting PP and Forwards. Yes they all do recruiting. I have no problem with young and old coaches on the staff.

If that summary is correct I am most galled by recruiting and the power play. That is the role that needs significant improvement. You would think the pattern would be obvious with 10 years of declining results. Borek’s first year was .738% winning and it has trended down since.

I don’t really want a new head coach. But if I am athletic director I am pointing out these issues and asking for action plans to correct them. The trend is disturbing and the data points to one coach and HC either needs to fix it or somebody else needs to be the HC.

P.S. Watcher - I'm happy your back for some reasoned banter.
    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher
      York was also at all three days of the 2010. No late 2010 signees, but within the week Ryan Fitzgerald committed for 2013.
      Not significant in itself, but perhaps a symptom of the lack of engagement between HC and recruits that seems to be dogging the team. Fine when it works and your success makes recruits interested no matter what (look at BU with Jack Parker), but when it stops working, maybe HC should engage, or get a younger assistant who can interact with the potential and actual recruits (so that they actually have a deeper interest in making it to UNH).
      I suspect given his peer group, Umile has the Parker model in mind, and he does not strike me as a flexible guy likely to change. Ironically, BU had greater success with younger assistant David Quinn but when he left, Parker went with an older peer, Buddy Powers, very similar to the Tortorella hire. In contrast, BC keeps getting younger on the assistants. When Rolston left in 04, 35 year old unproven David Brown was brought aboard. When Paluch left in 02 35 year old Rolston was brought aboard. When Buddy Powers left in 88, 28 year old Wayne Wilson was hired. When Terry Flanagan died in 91, 27 year old Scott Paluch was hired.

There's a mindset, one of conservatism resisting change, and one of seeing change as an opportunity to mentor someone and gaining something from the change. You see two distinct models. One does not fit all. For example, Notre Dame's Jeff Jackson hired Paul Pooley rather than get a younger guy when he was hired in 2005 (he did have younger Slaggert on the staff). Umile seems to follow the Parker model, but doesn't have the resume of Parker and BU or Notre Dame's reputation to carry it off.
      Watcher, I'll echo the other posters who have welcomed your presence back to these forums. You possess hockey insight that doesn't stop at ice level. You also have apparent (and I don't mean that in a snarky way) knowledge of Who's Who in the college hockey world -- certainly in New England. These people include players and coaches -- past and present -- but also personalities. Your comments about Jerry York appearing at the Beantown Spring Classic -- not only this year, but in past years -- and for how many days -- indicates that you, too must have been there, or have a connection with someone who was. (And I suspect your knowledge base isn't largely derived from Google.)

And thus my question to you: what is your connection? Your fluency with faces, facts and figures extends to a much more intimate level than the average (or even above-average) fan is capable of. I understand that these forums allow us to wear a cloak of invisibility if we so wish, and I'm not asking you to reveal your identity, but who are you? Are you a coach? A scout? A former player? If not any of these, then ...?

I'm sincerely curious.
      We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
      ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
      --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

FYI UNH @ CC - 11/23/12

http://www.cctigers.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=101

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
          And thus my question to you: what is your connection? Your fluency with faces, facts and figures extends to a much more intimate level than the average (or even above-average) fan is capable of. I understand that these forums allow us to wear a cloak of invisibility if we so wish, and I'm not asking you to reveal your identity, but who are you? Are you a coach? A scout? A former player? If not any of these, then ...?

I'm sincerely curious.
          He's bobo

Comment

It seems admin is the fault for not securing the talent that Borek and others have recruited. Much like the hockey club is concerned, the other parts must be part of a team. If they recruit them, it's for a reason. So, admin please help to close the deal.

That being said, I remember Brian Mccloskey as a player for Dartmouth. He was great and wore the #10 for the Big Green. He was small but shifty. Loved to watch him play, we was a star on a great team. He took a slap shot from the point to the face, before the helmets had a full face mask. I was a kid, but I thought it killed him. He came back to wear a half shield later in the season. Warrior, that would have laid me out for good!

Now, Scotty Borek was also a good player, a power forward for the Big Green. Great person for sure and he knew the game better than anyone else on the team. I saw him get hit from behind and break his neck. Thompson was never so quiet. His hockey career was over with that hit, but it also created another calling for him.

I think that Brian understands the value of a shifty and under sized forward. I also think Scott understands the value of a strong power forward. Recruiting is to me a game, there is a list that all coaches have and they go after them. Some seasons you land a JVR and most seasons you don't.

I think you need both styles actually. You need a guy that can land the power forward and a guy that gets the Jason Krog player. Do they have that now? I don't think so. I am just speaking of the coaches that have played a forward position and what that can recruit based upon what the really know. As far as a D recruiter is concerned, maybe they have one I don't really know.

I don't think Scott is wrong in his roll there, but I would love to see some help with a guy like Brian. So, someone win the Loto, pay for those two to be your forward recruiting guys and let the team rise up the rankings. Or, hire one of them as the head coach. I just don't think Umile is the man to lead the way. Hope it works out for you guys, you are awesome fans. I will always cheer for UNH, when they are not playing (and usually beating) Dartmouth.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by ChinaHockey View Post
              It seems admin is the fault for not securing the talent that Borek and others have recruited. Much like the hockey club is concerned, the other parts must be part of a team. If they recruit them, it's for a reason. So, admin please help to close the deal.

That being said, I remember Brian Mccloskey as a player for Dartmouth. He was great and wore the #10 for the Big Green. He was small but shifty. Loved to watch him play, we was a star on a great team. He took a slap shot from the point to the face, before the helmets had a full face mask. I was a kid, but I thought it killed him. He came back to wear a half shield later in the season. Warrior, that would have laid me out for good!

Now, Scotty Borek was also a good player, a power forward for the Big Green. Great person for sure and he knew the game better than anyone else on the team. I saw him get hit from behind and break his neck. Thompson was never so quiet. His hockey career was over with that hit, but it also created another calling for him.

I think that Brian understands the value of a shifty and under sized forward. I also think Scott understands the value of a strong power forward. Recruiting is to me a game, there is a list that all coaches have and they go after them. Some seasons you land a JVR and most seasons you don't.

I think you need both styles actually. You need a guy that can land the power forward and a guy that gets the Jason Krog player. Do they have that now? I don't think so. I am just speaking of the coaches that have played a forward position and what that can recruit based upon what the really know. As far as a D recruiter is concerned, maybe they have one I don't really know.

I don't think Scott is wrong in his roll there, but I would love to see some help with a guy like Brian. So, someone win the Loto, pay for those two to be your forward recruiting guys and let the team rise up the rankings. Or, hire one of them as the head coach. I just don't think Umile is the man to lead the way. Hope it works out for you guys, you are awesome fans. I will always cheer for UNH, when they are not playing (and usually beating) Dartmouth.

Cheers!
              China good observation and thanks for lending us some of your Dartmouth guys to coach at UNH, starting with Charlie Holt. I disagree a little about Borek bringing in little shifty guys, his first recruit was, McFlicker,also, DeSimone, Dries,Moses, Block,Goumas, etc. He does go after bigger guys, but usually not at the expense of speed. Borek's gone after the bigger guys and names in the Yandel, JVR, Bourque, Kessell, etc. and got under recruited guys like Butler that became bid names(credit to Butler's hard work). I think Borek just looks for kids who have a presence around the puck and like to go to the net. McCloskey no doubt went for the smaller, big ice players, but if big guys had speed he wasn't adverse to them either.

Comment

Originally posted by ChinaHockey View Post

Cheers!
                It's not really an either/or situation. Tyler Kelleher is a "shifty, undersized" forward who can score goals and set up goals. Shane Eiserman, on the other hand, is a classic power forward who can score goals. Both were recruited by Coach Borek. John Henrion is on the shifty, undersized side but he hasn't yet lived up to his potential. Greg Burke is a power forward who has been held back by injuries. And there isn't a more shifty forward in the college game than John Gaudreau. If complications with the Admissions Office had not developed, he may very well have been skating for UNH.

Hopefully, UNH will decide as an institution that it wants to have high academic standards and elite athletic programs. Those are not incompatible goals.
                The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                  Hopefully, UNH will decide as an institution that it wants to have high academic standards and elite athletic programs. Those are not incompatible goals.
                  Exactly, One can only hope!!

Comment

Somewhere, someplace, in some trailer no doubt, there must be one real ornery, disappointed, near suicidal, hungover bobo

Comment

• Re: Official UNH Wildcats Offseason Thread 2012

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                      read somewhere they are doing Denver in that trip, would think woul dmean a return trip for both to Durham. Any word who might be coming to the Whitt next year?

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
                        He's bobo
                        If he's Bobo, then you must be CHRIS!!!!!!
                        UNH

Comment

It's great to read Watcher's posts and his view on the immediate future of UNH hockey vis � vis the reign of Umile.
                          What I'm seeing is that the programs become themselves: when potential recruits see BC in the finals, when they see the performance of the players, the comportment of the coaches, they want BC.
                          Where's UNH? If I went to a bank and the loan officer was wearing a sweatshirt, I'd question his attitude toward his job. Umile is still wearing the black turtleneck. Coaching and winning hockey games is a business. Umile should dress for success.
                          I watched BC win the championship. The players were talented, poised, focused, intent on one thing. These attributes came from the top down. Jerry York. I watch Jerry on the bench, and he's always thinking, analysing, taking notes. Watch Umile, he's usually scowling. Has he ever taken notes? For whom would you rather play?
                          Umile can not recruit the championship caliber players. He can not assemble a championship quality team. We've all known that for years. Unfortunately, he'll be leaving on his own terms, and we'll suffer until then.
                          "A date is an experience you have with another person that makes you appreciate being alone."
                          Larry David

Comment

Originally posted by billb View Post
                            It's great to read Watcher's posts and his view on the immediate future of UNH hockey vis � vis the reign of Umile.
                            What I'm seeing is that the programs become themselves: when potential recruits see BC in the finals, when they see the performance of the players, the comportment of the coaches, they want BC.
                            Where's UNH? If I went to a bank and the loan officer was wearing a sweatshirt, I'd question his attitude toward his job. Umile is still wearing the black turtleneck. Coaching and winning hockey games is a business. Umile should dress for success.
                            I watched BC win the championship. The players were talented, poised, focused, intent on one thing. These attributes came from the top down. Jerry York. I watch Jerry on the bench, and he's always thinking, analysing, taking notes. Watch Umile, he's usually scowling. Has he ever taken notes? For whom would you rather play?
                            Umile can not recruit the championship caliber players. He can not assemble a championship quality team. We've all known that for years. Unfortunately, he'll be leaving on his own terms, and we'll suffer until then.
                            Are you saying UNH hasn't won the NC because the coach doesn't wear a tie and doesn't take notes? Take nothing from Jerry York but a lot of his success comes from the resources he has and where his school is located. Doesn't hurt them that they are a nationally renowned school in the ACC with big time sports, all contributing to his exposure and success. Not to mention that BC's Freshman team's second leading scorer, Hockey East tourney MVP, one man highlight film player would have been playing for tie-less Coach Umile if Admissions had just done their job. Jack Parker to a lesser extent (no ACC) has the same exposure, resources as BC.

Comment

I'm shocked that bill would waste that many words, including big words like 'comportment' to say what he always says. I am actually convinced it's the fish on the ice, not Umile's wardrobe.

If UNH didn't have a holier than thou admissions department all of a sudden, the situation they're in could be a lot different. It's embarrassing, really.

Comment

Originally posted by bomberhockey View Post
                                Are you saying UNH hasn't won the NC because the coach doesn't wear a tie and doesn't take notes? Take nothing from Jerry York but a lot of his success comes from the resources he has and where his school is located. Doesn't hurt them that they are a nationally renowned school in the ACC with big time sports, all contributing to his exposure and success. Not to mention that BC's Freshman team's second leading scorer, Hockey East tourney MVP, one man highlight film player would have been playing for tie-less Coach Umile if Admissions had just done their job. Jack Parker to a lesser extent (no ACC) has the same exposure, resources as BC.
                                Not even worth engaging this blowhard, he is just a bitter, bitter man who has a fascination with other men’s clothing. We all know he is just a BC fan in UNH clothing, of course he is wearing a nice jacket and tie at all time. Surprise he isn’t blaming the fish on losing again. Once a troll, always a troll

Comment

Working...
                                X