Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA Women’s DI Hockey Longest Games

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Hey Sean, here's one for you as a sort of reference point...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...game-1.4023566
    Thanks for the link. I hope that never happens in college hockey, men's or women's. In soccer the NCAA once had unlimited overtimes (or at least 8 overtimes for one championship game), but they reduced it to 4 overtimes before going to penalty kicks and then to 2 overtimes before going to penalty kicks. The women's Beanpot already went to a 5-minute overtime and then a shootout to determine the semifinals after the 3 overtime semifinal between BC and Harvard back in 2007 (the then second longest game, now the ninth longest game). If a NCAA hockey game went to 8 overtimes, especially a televised one, they would probably limit how many overtimes before going to a shootout for at least NCAA tournament games and possibly for all games.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
      3 overtime semifinal between BC and Harvard back in 2007
      Ooh ooh ooh I was there!
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
        Ooh ooh ooh I was there!
        So was I, but we left before the start of overtime. With work the next day I think I made the right choice.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
        NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

So was I, but we left before the start of overtime. With work the next day I think I made the right choice.

Sean
          I was one of the two nutcase freshmen in the balcony. I am pretty sure we had a beat-to-hell metal garbage can to make noise lol

Comment

I have update the Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games spreadsheet. So far this season only three games have made the list, the longest coming in at only #42. I did not include the NEWHA third place game between Holy Cross and Franklin Pierce (DII), nor do I understand why they played until there was a winner, as the NCAA Ice Hockey 2016-17 and 2017-18 Rules & Interpretations clearly states that third place games are to follow the regular rules for overtime:

91.4 Tied Games - Tournament Competition - Where advancement in a bracket or the determination of a tournament champion is necessary... Third-place games may follow the overtime procedures as described in Rule 91.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
            NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

I have update the Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games spreadsheet. So far this season only three games have made the list, the longest coming in at only #42. I did not include the NEWHA third place game between Holy Cross and Franklin Pierce (DII), nor do I understand why they played until there was a winner, as the NCAA Ice Hockey 2016-17 and 2017-18 Rules & Interpretations clearly states that third place games are to follow the regular rules for overtime:

91.4 Tied Games - Tournament Competition - Where advancement in a bracket or the determination of a tournament champion is necessary... Third-place games may follow the overtime procedures as described in Rule 91.

Sean
              The NEWHA:

Comment

Sean
                may follow, not must follow. The Alliance were being Rebels to the established Order.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I have update the Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games spreadsheet with the Clarkson-Mercyhurst game. It only made it to 42 on the list, just ahead of the Mercyhurst-Syracuse game of the week before.

BTW, I would appreciate feedback on the RWF (rank when finished) column. I thought it was interesting to see where a game originally finished on the list vs where it currently resides.

Sean
                  Last edited by Sean Pickett; 03-12-2018, 09:43 AM.

BU Hockey Games
                  NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

I have update the Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games spreadsheet with the Clarkson-Mercyhurst game. It only made it to 42 on the list, just ahead of the Mercyhurst-Syracuse game of the week before.

BTW, I would appreciate feedback on the RWF (rank when finished) column. I thought it was interesting to see where a game originally finished on the list vs where it currently resides.

Sean
                    I took your list and was interested in each teams OT record. Here is what I came up with. Hope I counted everything correctly.

Team GMS W L
                    Harvard 20 12 8
                    Minn-Dul 10 8 2
                    New Ham 9 4 5
                    Providen 9 3 6
                    Northeast 9 2 7
                    Dartmouth 8 5 3
                    Bos Coll 7 6 1
                    Minnesota 7 4 3
                    Princeton 7 0 7
                    St. Lawr 6 5 1
                    Quinnipiac 6 4 2
                    Rensselaer 6 3 3
                    Yale 6 2 4
                    Mrcyhurst 6 1 5
                    North Dak 5 4 1
                    Connectic 5 3 2
                    Wisconsin 5 3 2
                    Clarkson 5 2 3
                    Bemidji St 5 1 4
                    Ohio State 5 1 4
                    Cornell 4 3 1
                    RIT 4 3 1
                    Bos Univ 4 2 2
                    Brown 4 2 2
                    Syracuse 4 2 2
                    Colgate 2 2 0
                    Rob Morris 2 1 1
                    Vermont 2 1 1
                    Maine 2 0 2
                    Penn St 2 0 2
                    Wayne St 1 1 0
                    Lindenwo 1 0 1
                    Minn State 1 0 1
                    Niagara 1 0 1
                    Last edited by vicb; 03-12-2018, 10:27 AM.
                    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Sean, I confess that I don't remember where the spreadsheet lives. I think that there used to be a link in your signature, but it looks like there are different links there now. I checked the first post in this thread, but it was just an embedded list at that point. When you get a chance, could you provide the link to your latest longest games sheet? Thanks for you continued efforts with this!
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        Sean, I confess that I don't remember where the spreadsheet lives. I think that there used to be a link in your signature, but it looks like there are different links there now. I checked the first post in this thread, but it was just an embedded list at that point. When you get a chance, could you provide the link to your latest longest games sheet? Thanks for you continued efforts with this!

Sean
                        Link is in the post from earlier today. Click on Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games.
                        Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                          Link is in the post from earlier today. Click on Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games.
                          Thanks -- I didn't hover in the right spot.

Comment

Interesting tid bits

There are only 2 teams that have never played in an OT Contest in the playoffs:
                            -----St Cloud and Union. I do not think Union has ever played in an ECAC Playoff game.

Princeton has played in 7 OT playoff games and is 0-7. WOW.
                            Last edited by vicb; 03-12-2018, 11:35 AM.
                            Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                            And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                            WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                            If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Sean
                              I like the new column. It is narrow enough that it shouldn't cause much of a problem of shifting other needed columns off the screen to the right, thus requiring scrolling, hiding, etc.

It is interesting that in the really long games, such as the top 10 where they length is > 110 minutes, the advantage shifts back in favor of the home team. Eight of the top 10 are home games for one of the team, and RPI at #2 is the only road team to win. For games that are long, but not THAT long, the visitors have better results than winning 12.5% of the time. Maybe when both are running on fumes, the energy of the crowd can lift a team. Admittedly, it is a very small sample size.

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                                I took your list and was interested in each teams OT record. Here is what I came up with. Hope I counted everything correctly.
                                I believe that you used the second sheet and I had not updated it (my mistake), so the 4 games for this season were not on it. I also used to update the overtime games played list that you did, but stopped doing so when I created the spreadsheet. I have now updated the second sheet with this season's games and added a third sheet with each team's overtime games played, won and lost.

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                                I never had the link in my signature, but that's a great idea and I've added it.

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                                Interesting tid bits

There are only 2 teams that have never played in an OT Contest in the playoffs:
                                -----St Cloud and Union. I do not think Union has ever played in an ECAC Playoff game.

Princeton has played in 7 OT playoff games and is 0-7. WOW.
                                First, St. Cloud may have played in an overtime playoff game, but not one longer than 65 minutes. Also, you missed Merrimack, which has yet to make the list. And Princeton finaliy won an overtime game his season (see my comment above).

And it continues to astonish me that Harvard has played in twice as many overtime games as the next closest team, and over 21% of all the games that have gone over 65 minutes.

Sean
                                Last edited by Sean Pickett; 03-13-2018, 03:36 PM.

BU Hockey Games
                                NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Working...
                                X