Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NCAA Women’s DI Hockey Longest Games

Originally posted by mnwis View Post
    Not sure why you bring up other sports,..

The NCAA lists those schools as D2, just because they participate in the National Collegiate Women's Hockey does not make the schools D1...
    All of the programs that you listed are D-I in women's hockey, so it is incorrect to list them as D-II in that context.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
      All of the programs that you listed are D-I in women's hockey, so it is incorrect to list them as D-II in that context.
      Actually, it's National Collegiate Women's Hockey....

The schools are still Div 2....that allows them to participate in other Div 2 sports....yes in hockey the Div 2 schools are blended with Div 1 schools for competition...there are covenants that the Div 2 schools adhere (agree) with to be allowed to participate...but they retain their Div 2 identity...

Comment

Originally posted by mnwis View Post
        Actually, it's National Collegiate Women's Hockey....

The schools are still Div 2....that allows them to participate in other Div 2 sports....yes in hockey the Div 2 schools are blended with Div 1 schools for competition...there are covenants that the Div 2 schools adhere (agree) with to be allowed to participate...but they retain their Div 2 identity...
        Yes, but there is more to it than just being eligible for the combined tournament. Their hockey programs (both men and women) follow Division I rules. That makes more difference on the men's side, where the Div II hockey scholarship limit is 13.5, rather than the 18 in Div I. In women's hockey, the Div II scholarship is 18, but there are other rules differences between Div I and Div II. Even though these schools are Div II in other sports, their hockey programs are fully Div I.

Comment

I emailed the NEWHA about their four D2 schools and received a quick reply that they are following all of the D1 eligibility requirements, so as of this season I'm going to count their games and I've updated the spreadsheet with the Saint Anselm-Franklin Pierce game at the top as the longest. I've also updated the second sheet which is easier to sort and the third sheet with each team's number of appearances on the list and W-L records.

With the 6 NEWHA teams there are now 8 teams that have yet to make an appearance on the list: Holy Cross, LIU, Merrimack, Post, Sacred Heart, Saint Michael's, St. Cloud State and Union. The only one that can make an appearance the rest of this season is St. Cloud State. Harvard still leads appearances by a wide margin with 21 to second place NU's 12; wins with 12 to second place BC's and UMD's 8 each; and losses with 9, just ahead of second place NU's and Princeton's 8 each. St. Lawrence has the best winning percentage of teams that have played more than 1 game at 5-1, 0.833, slightly ahead to second place BC's and UMD's 8-2, 0.800 and UND's 4-1, 0.800.

Sean
          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
          BU Hockey highlights and extras
          NCAA Hockey Financials
          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

I have updated the Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games spreadsheet with the games so far this weekend. So far this season there have been 7 games to make the list, 4 that went to at least double overtime, including the new longest game, which broke a nearly 24 year old record, and a new fourth longest, which broke a nearly 13 year old record (the game was the second longest when played and for the following 3 years and third longest for 10 years, until last week).

Sean
            Last edited by Sean Pickett; 03-01-2020, 11:25 AM.

BU Hockey Games
            NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

I have updated the Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games spreadsheet with today's games. So far this season there have been 9 games to make the list, 6 that went to at least double overtime, and 3 to at least triple overtime. The 9 games in a single season is a new record, passing the 8 games played in both 2016 & 2010. The 3 double overtime games is still 2 less than the record 5 played in 2010 and the 2 triple overtime games is still one less than the record 3 played in both 2013 & 2010. 2010 also had the then 2nd and 4th longest games played, while this season has had the longest and 4th longest games played. Even if no more games make the list (65+ minutes), this is a historic season for long overtime games.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
              NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

• I have updated the Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games spreadsheet with this year's games. Only 3 games have made the list, with none lasting more than one overtime.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

• Bump ... thanks again Sean for maintaining this list.
                  THINK PINK
                  BLEED BLUE

Comment

• Originally posted by whoop87 View Post
                    Bump ... thanks again Sean for maintaining this list.
                    I was slow updating this season, but it's now up to date. There have been 9 overtime games longer than 5 minutes, including 3 double OT games, plus the Quinnipiac- Penn State triple OT game (13th longest overall, 6th longest NCAA tournament game).

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                    NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

• The Wisconsin-Minnesota semifinal didn't even crack the top 50, coming in at 59.

I have updated the Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games spreadsheet with the game and the list is now at 130 games that lasted longer than 5 minutes of overtime. I thought I would ask again whether those that use teh list want to keep every game on it, or cut it off at some predetermined number of games, like 50.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                      NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                        The Wisconsin-Minnesota semifinal didn't even crack the top 50, coming in at 59.

I have updated the Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games spreadsheet with the game and the list is now at 130 games that lasted longer than 5 minutes of overtime. I thought I would ask again whether those that use teh list want to keep every game on it, or cut it off at some predetermined number of games, like 50.

Sean
                        As the keeper of the list, that should be your call. What is easiest/best for you? We can come up with all types of metrics (e.g., there could be a tab for ALL NCAA Tournament games that go OT, with a different tab for other postseason or Beanpot games have to be more than 10 minutes or whatever), but if you are the person who has to discover and record all these events, none of the rest of us should be telling you how to spend your time. Personally, I think any national tourney OT game in a championship bracket is important to record, no matter whether it goes 15 seconds or 150 minutes. The marathon nature is what makes the conference tourney games more noteworthy, because they don't always end a season. No matter what you decide, I'm appreciative that you do this. Thanks Sean!
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Double thumbs up for maintaining this list Sean. I do like how you're listing it now versus just the Top 50 longest games.
                          THINK PINK
                          BLEED BLUE

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                            As the keeper of the list, that should be your call. What is easiest/best for you? ......... No matter what you decide, I'm appreciative that you do this. Thanks Sean!
                            My thoughts exactly.

Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                            And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                            WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                            If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                              The list of longest women's games. Assuming no other pending updates from this year, Minnesota-Clarkson clocks in at #7 on the list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1518655729
                              It's actually the 6th longest women's game, second longest NCAA game. It also ties for 7th most saves made.

The list is now updated with the 8 OT games over 65 minutes long this postseason. Clarkson improves to 10-5 in such games, while Minnesota drops to 4-6.

Of teams that have played more than 2 such overtime games St. Lawrence leads with an 0.875 winning percentage (7-1), with Boston College second at 0.818 (9-2) and Minnesota-Duluth fourth (third out of current teams) at 0.750 (12-4). All three won an overtime game this season to improve their records.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                              NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Working...
                              X