Ohio State @ Bemidji State 1/13 - 1/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State @ Bemidji State 1/13 - 1/14

Tough weekend for the Buckeyes last weekend as they split with St. Cloud State. The Buckeyes picked up five points vs Bemidji earlier this season in Columbus with a shootout win and a regulation win. The Beavers will be looking to turn the tables this weekend. This will be a battle for 5th place as the Buckeyes have 23 points and Bemidji has 22. UMD is currently in 4th place with 26 points. Should be interesting.
    Last edited by osualum86; 01-09-2012, 04:36 PM.

Re: Ohio State @ Bemidji State 1/13 - 1/14

The series is vital in the sense that we really need to finish ahead of Bemidji in the standings. The difference between 5th and 6th place isn't huge. But finishing 4th or better is. That would mean home ice for the league playoffs, a much better launching point for a post-season run. While it's certainly mathematically possible for both the Buckeyes and the Beavers to earn home ice, that appears to be a relatively unlikely scenario.

Obviously you want to win every time you lace 'em up. But a split would allow both teams to live and fight another day, while a sweep for either side would put the losing club in a pretty deep hole. So it really is a pivotal series. Go Bucks!

Comment

It'll be a good series to watch for those in attendance I'd bet. With the Beavers record at home ( I think one loss was technically a home game but not played at Sanford) and the Buckeyes .500 on the road. The Buckeye snipers against ZT. the Beavers speed and excellent work ethic cannot be overlooked in any analysis. Makes for a tough one to call particularly with the strong incentive and motivation for both. Playing at Sanford perhaps a slight edge for BSU.
      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

I will be happy with a split this weekend, although a split will likely not move us up into 4th place, it will simply keep us in 5th. Should we go up there and get swept, we probably finish in the 6th spot. We have a brutal schedule down the stretch so we can ill afford to leave any points on the table. We still have the big 4 (@UMD, @Wisconsin, home vs Minnesota, UND) coming up.

Comment

Go Beavers!
          Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
          FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
            I will be happy with a split this weekend, although a split will likely not move us up into 4th place, it will simply keep us in 5th.
            Short term, yes. Big picture, we'd win the season series with Bemidji. That would enhance our chances of finishing ahead of the Beavers in the final standings, a necessary component for moving up. From there, it would be on to the next challenges. But one step at a time.

Should we go up there and get swept, we probably finish in the 6th spot. We have a brutal schedule down the stretch so we can ill afford to leave any points on the table. We still have the big 4 (@UMD, @Wisconsin, home vs Minnesota, UND) coming up.
            Aye, there's the rub. We need to get onto the "Top Guns" list, not be on the outside looking in. We're close. So is Bemidji. A breakthrough later in the season remains possible for either team -- if the proper foundation is laid this weekend.

Comment

Big weekend for the girls and it all starts tonight! Go Bucks! Beat the Beavers!

Comment

Big win for the Buckeyes tonight, 5-3. Natalie Spooner had two goals, Minttu Tuominen had a goal, and Ally Tarr had two goals. This was a big win for us on the road, and it will be even bigger if we can come back and win tomorrow to get the sweep! Great job Coach Handrahan and girls!

Comment

Ginormous! Awesome job, Buckeyes. Keep it going in the rematch.

Note to osualum86: Get off the ledge. NOW!

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                    Ginormous! Awesome job, Buckeyes. Keep it going in the rematch.

Note to osualum86: Get off the ledge. NOW!
                    LOL ... good thing I had my glasses on so I could read that fine print about getting off the ledge!

Comment

Chance now for the Buckeyes to grab the 4th spot in the standings (or better) pending the outcomes in a couple other WCHA tussles.

Last edited by brookyone; 01-14-2012, 05:31 PM.
                      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Unfortunately, we couldn't close the deal today so we're still setting in the 5th spot. The good news is we are only two points out of 4th and three points behind 3rd place UMD. That is, if the WCHA standings on their website are up to date.

Comment

Working...
                        X