Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread: Part III: Now What?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread: Part III: Now What?

Originally posted by Jacques Joubert View Post
    I agree with everything you've written except it's spelled "Trivino".
    Duh. I've only read his name 1,000 times this week. Must be that degree from MET kicking in...
    http://www.travisroyfoundation.org/

Comment

I had considered that as well. I hope he's that clever and it was an attempt to protect him.

Originally posted by Terrance View Post
      My first thoughts about his openness about his drinking is that it could help Trivino's case. If Parker says its an alcohol problem, people may feel bad for him as opposed to only looking at him as a rapist or a pervert. This way its that he has a disease and needs help. It takes some of the blame off of Trivino and puts it on booze. Just speculation on my part, but it seems less horrible if he has a drinking problem that he can't control that led him to do this.
      Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

Read all the pages of the thread the past couple days. May have missed if somebody commented on this but I don't think anybody did. I remembered this:

Weymouth's Charlie Coyle Accepts 2010 John Carlton Award
        The Bruins honored some of the state's young homegrown talent during Thursday's game against the Sabres, presenting Charlie Coyle of Weymouth and Marissa Gedman of Framingham with the John Carlton Award.

The award is named after the late Bruins scout and is given to an outstanding male and female student-athlete in an eastern Massachusetts high school or junior hockey. Recipients are high school seniors who combine exceptional hockey skills with academic excellence.

Comment

From last thread, have to multi-quote manually:

J.D.: "If this is the case (I don't believe him), it's a bush league move by him to abandon his teammates in the middle of a season."

Bomber: "I haven't read the past 8 pages on Coyle, but I just want to say that players leaving half way through the season are quitters. That is all."

brassbonanza: "I have to say there is some truth here. He couldn't "endure" one more semester of academics before going pro?"

I talked about this in a previous case, but: I studied music at BU. It's not a stretch to say that to be a music major at BU you're almost at a level as elite as a hockey player at BU. When you're at that level, everybody's looking towards being a professional. We all knew guys at music school who took an audition half-way through their sophomore year, made it, and that was it for college, off they went. And good for them. Or -- and this is rarer, but it happens -- somebody says, "This isn't for me, I want to try being a pro full-time, I'm done with college," and off they went. That's what everybody wanted. You never begrudged someone trying to make the leap, and definitely not if they actually had made it. Even if it left you hanging out to dry on some project.

I know it's different when you're a fan. I feel it myself a little bit with the hockey team. But 98% of the guys in that locker room aren't feeling like Coyle quit on them.
          Bugs Bunny - 96
          Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey Dogg View Post

I have not been on the "Parker s-cks and needs to go" bandwagon (although I was getting close to that before 2009). I have too much respect for what people in and around the game at the highest levels seem to think about him as a coach. However, I'm open to the idea that BU needs a change at the top just to allow a new coach to create a new culture. In a way, I'm more interested to see how the season plays out now.

All that said, so much of what has been written in the last week has been just another front in the Parker wars that have been raging on this board for as long anyone remembers...
            Like who?

Comment

Patriot Ledger article on Coyle leaving. www.patriotledger.com
              Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

He told the Freep he wasn't leaving, I don't believe the Freep could be outscooped by "a 16 year old in Chestnut Hill with an internet connection"

Comment

Just came out of a brief 6 day coma. Don't really feel like reading the posts I missed in the last thread.

Who do you guys think is going to carry the extra burden in the few games Coyle misses at WJC? My money is on Trivino.

Comment

If my math is correct, with Coyle and Trivino gone and with Cisse being redshirted, BU now only has 18 skaters on the roster. Better hope there's no injuries....

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
                      If my math is correct, with Coyle and Trivino gone and with Cisse being redshirted, BU now only has 18 skaters on the roster. Better hope there's no injuries....
                      Umm Cisse redshirted last year? 13 forwards until Santana gets healthy, at which point it'd be 14, along with 7 defensemen

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance View Post
                        Did Coyle fail out or not? You would think with that during a very mediocre first half of the season and an average college career overall he would have applied a little more effort in his academics. I have no idea what to make of this. If he didn't fail out, does he really believe he is ready for the next stage? Is there any possibility of this being linked to Trivino's incident or dismissal? How long can we expect Chiasson to hang around?
                        I don't think that Coyle flunked out. Yet. But his comment that he no longer wanted to be a student-athlete, but to just concentrate on hockey, speaks volumes on where he is academically.

Grades are not out yet. Some finals are still to be taken. But Coyle leaving in midseason, and saying he no longer wants to be a "student-athlete" is like the employee who quits just before they are fired, because they knew what was coming. Coyle most likely knew what was coming, and jumped before he was pushed.

I think BU will really miss what Coyle was finally starting to become on the ice: a real presence. Until recently, I viewed him as all hype and very little push. But he started to do some of the little things, and big things, a lot better.
                        BU will miss what Coyle might have become in the second half a lot more than what we was over his season and a half. And they will miss Trivino even more, because he was the much better all around player this season.

There are two things that I will remember most about Coyle's BU "career." His best performance came against the University of Toronto in an exhibition game before his varsity career officially started. He looked like the second coming of Colin Wilson that night, and never again. He also "won" Hockey East Rookie of the Year honors almost soley on reputation. The numbers just didn't bear out him receiving the award. You could make a case that Gill, Noonan and Clendening were as deserving as he was.

When some suggested that Coyle might not return for is sophomore year, I thought he would be crazy to go pro after showing so little. Even this year, as he started to play better, he still didn't appear even remotely close to being ready to go.

I wouldn't classify Coyle as a bust by any stretch, but he certainly has not come close to his advanced billing.

For someone that always wanted to play at BU, to follow in the footsteps of his relative, Tony Amonte, and to have been given Amonte's No. 3, and then to walk away in midseason to go to the Quebec Juniors is more than a little disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
                          From last thread, have to multi-quote manually:

J.D.: "If this is the case (I don't believe him), it's a bush league move by him to abandon his teammates in the middle of a season."

Bomber: "I haven't read the past 8 pages on Coyle, but I just want to say that players leaving half way through the season are quitters. That is all."

brassbonanza: "I have to say there is some truth here. He couldn't "endure" one more semester of academics before going pro?"

I talked about this in a previous case, but: I studied music at BU. It's not a stretch to say that to be a music major at BU you're almost at a level as elite as a hockey player at BU. When you're at that level, everybody's looking towards being a professional. We all knew guys at music school who took an audition half-way through their sophomore year, made it, and that was it for college, off they went. And good for them. Or -- and this is rarer, but it happens -- somebody says, "This isn't for me, I want to try being a pro full-time, I'm done with college," and off they went. That's what everybody wanted. You never begrudged someone trying to make the leap, and definitely not if they actually had made it. Even if it left you hanging out to dry on some project.

I know it's different when you're a fan. I feel it myself a little bit with the hockey team. But 98% of the guys in that locker room aren't feeling like Coyle quit on them.
                          I'm sorry but this is apples and oranges. Frankly, I don't even understand the comparison. You're specifically talking about individuals...no teams involved. Coyle was part of a team. There's a reason this almost never happens in college hockey. It's poor form leaving midseason when you're depended upon as a top six forward.

Comment

Jofa: "The BC crowd is boosting him up so as to make BU look like they really took a big hit. Trust me DW and others were laughing about what a bust Coyle was not that long ago. Overrated was used many times to describe him in the past by the same crowd."

Wait just a minute now...I'm not boosting Coyle up and I've also never called him a bust/overrated. I've been consistent in saying no matter how disappointed you might have been in his development, there's a reason he was your #2 center. The guys behind him aren't any better.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              I'm sorry but this is apples and oranges. Frankly, I don't even understand the comparison. You're specifically talking about individuals...no teams involved. Coyle was part of a team. There's a reason this almost never happens in college hockey. It's poor form leaving midseason when you're depended upon as a top six forward.
                              I'm with you on this. Coming from the TV/Film program in COM, where 80% of the students had one foot out the door to LA the whole time they were at BU, I get where Dave is coming from, but it's not applicable to sports. Academics are a personal thing, other students don't have anything invested in your success, as they do in sports. So the student who leaves doesn't affect any other student's prospects or success at the school, as is the case with a team losing a player. Also, the scenario Dave laid out would imply that Coyle left for a supposedly better opportunity. Now I'm no expert on the Canadian leagues, but by all accounts, he left to go to an equal at best league, making it more or less a lateral move. Additionally, it was reported that Minnesota told him he could go AHL or Q right now, and he chose the lower level option.
                              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Didn't UMD lose one of their best D mid-season last yr and still end up winning the national champion? You never know...

P.S. I know our case is way more severe, just trying to be optimistic!

Comment

Working...
                                X