Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UAH plans to stay Division I

Originally posted by TimP View Post
    We already have a new program joining next season. What was the big deal if one left? The number would remain the same. And since when do Suthunuhs like hockey?
    Take one look at the community and its make-up. You tell me. Also, I'd like you to extend this question to Cornell.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
      "In our System, the responsibility for intercollegiate athletics is a campus matter."

Says the man that fundamentally altered the UAH intercollegiate athletics department just days before a new president was to take office.

Says the man that who's board of trustees will not allow UAB to build its own on-campus football stadium.

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2011/12/...m_portera.html

This is me, rolling my eyes as hard as I can.
      That's what I thought. I'm glad Mark McCarter didn't let Portera off the hook:
      http://blog.al.com/breaking/2011/12/...ted_for_u.html

Are we to believe that somehow Portera never heard that same commitment for six months?
      That he somehow never saw the opportunities presented to keep the hockey program going?
      If he's that oblivious or disingenuous, Portera shouldn't be running an elevator, much less a university system.
      Or ... perhaps he just didn't want to see and hear.
      Michael Napier - UAH '97
      uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
      U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
      NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
      CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
      CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
        As for scheduling, the USCHO story by Matt Mackinder quotes Coach Luongo as saying that the school has given him permission to schedule Division I games for 2012-13.GFM
        I wonder how hard it will be for UAH to find some teams to schedule games against them?
        Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
        Eric's Twitter
        The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
          I wonder how hard it will be for UAH to find some teams to schedule games against them?
          They already had some games scheduled for 2012-13, including a pair against RIT; I expect many of those dates/teams are still available, or could be made available without much trouble.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
            Again, Dirty has never been serious. Ever. I'm not 100% convinced he's not a BC fan and just pulling off the greatesr ongoing joke of alltime
            I do know that he was at a UND football game one time at least in 2004. I highly doubt that a BC fan would take the time to fly out to Grand Forks right after thanksgiving to attend a UND football playoff game just to keep a gag going.
            Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
            They already had some games scheduled for 2012-13, including a pair against RIT; I expect many of those dates/teams are still available, or could be made available without much trouble.

Powers &8^]
            They might not be able to put together a full D1 NCAA schedule, and might have to have some exhabition games perhaps, against D3's, Club programs, Canadian colleges and perhaps international squads perhaps. But keeping the guys there skating this year sure beats the alternative of them not skating.
            Last edited by bigmrg74; 12-08-2011, 12:56 PM.
            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

This is great news!
              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                They might not be able to put together a full D1 NCAA schedule, and might have to have some exhabition games perhaps, against D3's, Club programs, Canadian colleges and perhaps international squads perhaps. But keeping the guys there skating this year sure beats the alternative of them not skating.
                Wouldn't they need an exemption to play all these international squads?
                "My greatest achievement."
                Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
                  Not if they play fewer college teams.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
                    They get an exemption for the first one, every one after that counts against the 34.

Comment

I see. Thanks guys!
                      "My greatest achievement."
                      Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Another quick read for y'all from Excalibur Sports Page

http://excalibursportspage.com/2011/...ockey-for-now/
                        Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          They get an exemption for the first one, every one after that counts against the 34.
                          That's pretty much what I'm saying for UAH for next year. It would be bit of a hodgepodge schedule, and it would mean they wouldn't really qualify for the NCAA's due to the lack of enough D1 NCAA games played, but it would give em a season next year and keep em skating. Its at least an option they could go next year.
                          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                            That's pretty much what I'm saying for UAH for next year. It would be bit of a hodgepodge schedule, and it would mean they wouldn't really qualify for the NCAA's due to the lack of enough D1 NCAA games played, but it would give em a season next year and keep em skating. Its at least an option they could go next year.
                            Depending on how many Canadian schools they play, maybe they'd be eligible for the University Cup instead.

Either way, best of luck to UAH. I hope they find plenty of scheduling partners around NCAA D-1, with former CHA teams in particular. (For that matter, I think it'd be great fun to have an annual CHA tournament with the last four members.)
                            Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                            I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                            Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

This simply seems like a stay of execution. To operate going forward as an independent is nearly impossible (my opinion). I don't see how this can be pulled off-- without getting in a conference....and if that is going to happen, it would happen now. The ability to attract players, retain coaches etc will be extremely difficult.

If UAH is not in a conference by the end of February, I just don't see it working. I would hate to see everyone have the rug pulled out from under them again.

Comment

Originally posted by pinch View Post
                                This simply seems like a stay of execution. To operate going forward as an independent is nearly impossible (my opinion). I don't see how this can be pulled off-- without getting in a conference....and if that is going to happen, it would happen now. The ability to attract players, retain coaches etc will be extremely difficult.

If UAH is not in a conference by the end of February, I just don't see it working. I would hate to see everyone have the rug pulled out from under them again.
                                I hope Atlantic Hockey or someone takes Huntsville. It is better for the game that this program survives.
                                Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
                                www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Working...
                                X