Red. Hot. Hockey. III. - BU vs. Cornell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Red. Hot. Hockey. III. - BU vs. Cornell

BUnyon pointed at the net, but he never looked up so it was a guess. Those nets are not pulled tight so I will state with 99% confidence that the puck didn't hit the net (and still have enough momentum to come back into play the 10+ feet to clear the crossbar.

I'll take it though
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
      BUnyon pointed at the net, but he never looked up so it was a guess. Those nets are not pulled tight so I will state with 99% confidence that the puck didn't hit the net (and still have enough momentum to come back into play the 10+ feet to clear the crossbar.

I'll take it though
      Where the heck was the puck then if not in the netting? It was missing for a good two or three seconds. Parker was right that the refs would have been correct to blow the whistle simply on the basis of not being able to see the puck for such an extended period of time.
      #OneKnight

Comment

They blew the whistle. I heard it. So did the teams as they were either skating to the face off circle or back to the bench. Then the puck fell from the rafters about five minutes later (it seemed) and banked off Millan and went in. Doesn't matter if it didn't hit the netting or whatever. Play was called dead.

Comment

Courtesy of a friendly Cornell fan over at Elynah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-AVg...el_video_title Skip to 4:20, whistle clearly blows a half a second before the puck is in. Right call.
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
            Courtesy of a friendly Cornell fan over at Elynah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-AVg...el_video_title Skip to 4:20, whistle clearly blows a half a second before the puck is in. Right call.
            Yup. That proves it. Much as I hate it, you're right. Congrats on a tough comeback win. Hope to see you in the NCAAs.
            A neg.rep on this thread is a badge of honor.....troyboy March 7 2011

Comment

You know what's weird? The first part of that replay made it seem like the puck deflected over the net backwards. I wonder if it went back, up, then down.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                Where the heck was the puck then if not in the netting? It was missing for a good two or three seconds. Parker was right that the refs would have been correct to blow the whistle simply on the basis of not being able to see the puck for such an extended period of time.
                Hit the glass and went up in the air, before falling back to earth...

Comment

Maybe. Whatever happened, I think we're on the same page that it was a crazy weird bounce. Glad the goal didn't count.
                  #OneKnight

Comment

The discussion of the trajectory of that puck is beginning to sound like the discussion of the "magic bullet" from Dallas 11/22/63.
                    Last edited by buoldtimer; 11-27-2011, 02:38 PM.
                    if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                      The discussion of the trajectory of that puck is beginning to sound like the discussion of the "magic bullet" from Dallas 11/22/63.
                      We've all been on enough rinks to see the puck hit the net above the glass and drop straight down. Never will it richocet back 10+ ft onto the ice.

Comment

There's a great book called the Physics of Baseball by a Yale Prof. As I recall, the first line is something like, "The physics of baseball isn't rocket science. It's much harder."

That seems to be the case here, too. I didn't clock how long the puck was aloft, but it seems like a long time. (Just watch how far the players moved -- and how they slow down.)

Also, the puck doesn't fall directly down. Given that fact and the time, it seems very likely that it was high enough to hit the netting. If so, the call was right for two reasons. (As to 11/22/63, Case Closed by Epstein methodically puts all the conspiracy theories to rest.)

Comment

It was rolling when it hit Millan. I propose the shot was taken, rising. Millan nicked it up and it went off the glass and spun upward. Arced back toward the playing area. Reached its apex, continued curving and fell back to earth, striking Millan and falling into the net.. Not complaining, but until I see otheise that's what happened and I'm sticking to it

Comment

It's obvious that there was a "second" puck that went into play

Comment

On the BU broadcast, Bernie said that the puck hit the net and thats also correctly when the whistle blew. (I have not had the benefit of seeing the replay).

Comment

It was rolling when it hit Millan. I propose the shot was taken, rising. Millan nicked it up and it went off the glass and spun upward. Arced back toward the playing area. Reached its apex, continued curving and fell back to earth, striking Millan and falling into the net.. Not complaining, but until I see otheise that's what happened and I'm sticking to it
                                Looks like mookie had seats in the newly renovated Grassy Knoll's section of MSG.

Comment

Working...
                                X