No announcement yet.

11/25-11/26 Michigan Tech at St. Lawrence - Middle of Nowhere Throw-down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 11/25-11/26 Michigan Tech at St. Lawrence - Middle of Nowhere Throw-down

This is the best title of a thread that I have seen in a long time! I remember watching Tech play at Appleton a couple of years ago when you had some goalie with the name of Esposito.

Comment

Originally posted by freego View Post
      This is the best title of a thread that I have seen in a long time! I remember watching Tech play at Appleton a couple of years ago when you had some goalie with the name of Esposito.
      Oh man... That sounds like click click click throw down... Can anyone on the tech side rival the age that story?
      MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
        I go to all home games and therefore don't use the B2 option. When the team is on the road I usually listen to it on the radio or online depending upon where I am. I once did purchase the game and watched online and it appeared to be decent quality, but that was almost three years ago so who knows now. Hockeyplayer1015 would probably have a little better idea on the video quality than myself
        Pfffft, it's been 3 years since I've used B2 too. The past two years I've been able to make a solid amount of road games since I was down in NYC, and strategically decided when to make trips home (they usually coincided with SLU home weekends, ironically ) so I haven't bothered with the B2. I've heard it isn't all that great at SLU, but really can't tell you for sure.

Comment

I so wish we were going to these games. what is your arena like? fanbase? the town?
          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
            I so wish we were going to these games. what is your arena like? fanbase? the town?
            Appleton Arena (informally called Appletown by the players) is a classic barn of a rink, varnished woof bleachers all around. Seats about 3k. I'm biased, but it is amongst my favorite rinks that I've been fortunate to get to (Hobey Baker, the Yale Whale, and Qpac amongst them, for their own unique reasons). Fanbase has been declining in recent years, as shown by the box scores the past few seasons (generally in the 2300 range when students are in session). With the students on break, I'd guess these games will be around 1500

Canton, NY is a pretty small college town, but has some decent places in it to eat (Sergi's is a very good italian joint, along with some other nice restaurants in the area.) Admittedly, there isn't a ton to see/do in the north country in the immediate Canton area, but Lake Placid is about 2 hours away or so I would say, maybe a touch more, and is often pretty busy with weekend hockey tournaments going on most of the time.

Comment

my world has been rocked. Tech fans are talking serious hockey. on Monday??!!
              I will break it up (sort of) with a jersey reference...
              Tech sweeps 6-5 Friday and 3-1 on Saturday because they are ****ed that my jersey collection has more St. Lawerence captain jerseys (3) than I do Tech captains jerseys (2). That is so wrong. I'm always looking for someone to help me correct that problem. :-)

Ryan J

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
              Originally posted by geezer
              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
              Originally posted by manurespreader
              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                I will break it up (sort of) with a jersey reference...
                Tech sweeps 6-5 Friday and 3-1 on Saturday because they are ****ed that my jersey collection has more St. Lawerence captain jerseys (3) than I do Tech captains jerseys (2). That is so wrong. I'm always looking for someone to help me correct that problem. :-)

Ryan J
                Let me guess, Justin Harney, Jared Ross (LOVE the 'new' (2-3 years now) home whites, if you don't mind me asking how did you get that one?) and Mike Madill Matt Generous or Shawn Fensel (Can't tell if its a 7 or 77) maybe?
                Last edited by hockeyplayer1015; 11-21-2011, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                  Let me guess, Justin Harney, Jared Ross (LOVE the 'new' (2-3 years now) home whites, if you don't mind me asking how did you get that one?) and Mike Madill Matt Generous or Shawn Fensel (Can't tell if its a 7 or 77) maybe?

Left to Right: #15 - Josh Anderson 2003-04, #5 - Jeff Hill 1992-93 , #8 - Jared Ross 2007-09, #6 - Lars Helminen 2005-07, #77 - Shawn Fensel 2007-09 .

Like most everything now-a-days, they came from Ebay and other jersey collectors. There were a few St. L jerseys on Ebay just a couple weeks ago. The #6 Tech came from a jersey raffle.
                  Ryan J
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                    I'm extremely jealous of anyone with that luxury! I'm stuck in no college hockey (worth watching) northeast Wisconsin... Drives me nuts!
                    I live roughly 5 minutes away from Appleton Arena. I have worked an 8-5 Monday-Friday job for a local bank ever since high school and all through college. I have not missed a single home hockey game in almost 13 years and had been going to games on and off since I was a toddler. I am a die hard fan and when they are on the road and I am listening everyone knows to shut the ******* up because my team is on haha. What can I say, I love my Saints! So yes, I guess I am lucky enough to have the luxury
                    St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
                    4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
                    2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
                    16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                    9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
                    2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                      Appleton Arena (informally called Appletown by the players) is a classic barn of a rink, varnished woof bleachers all around. Seats about 3k. I'm biased, but it is amongst my favorite rinks that I've been fortunate to get to (Hobey Baker, the Yale Whale, and Qpac amongst them, for their own unique reasons). Fanbase has been declining in recent years, as shown by the box scores the past few seasons (generally in the 2300 range when students are in session). With the students on break, I'd guess these games will be around 1500

Canton, NY is a pretty small college town, but has some decent places in it to eat (Sergi's is a very good italian joint, along with some other nice restaurants in the area.) Admittedly, there isn't a ton to see/do in the north country in the immediate Canton area, but Lake Placid is about 2 hours away or so I would say, maybe a touch more, and is often pretty busy with weekend hockey tournaments going on most of the time.
                      I have seen a full house several times the past few years and the box score shows 1500 ish. It blows my mind how it can be so low when the place seats 3000 and it is packed. I wonder if they count the students for the attendence figures due to the fact that they get in for free and they only show there student ID to pass through. I can't imagine anyone is actually counting them one by one as they go through the door. They would only be counting the ticket sales, both reserved and GA's. This is more than likely why the attendence figures have been lower over the past couple of years.

16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                      9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000

Comment

I have seen a full house several times the past few years and the box score shows 1500 ish. It blows my mind how it can be so low when the place seats 3000 and it is packed. I wonder if they count the students for the attendence figures due to the fact that they get in for free and they only show there student ID to pass through. I can't imagine anyone is actually counting them one by one as they go through the door. They would only be counting the ticket sales, both reserved and GA's. This is more than likely why the attendence figures have been lower over the past couple of years.
                        Ah, true. While I haven't been there as often as I would like, I remember it usually being probably 2300-2500 usually. Granted the Clarkson games always sell out, and occasionally other games. They most likely don't include the students in the attendence figures.

Comment

The B2 feed out of SLU is not bad. The quality of the video is pretty good and the biased home town commentary is also quite enjoyable if you are a Saints fan.
                          Having been to most of the home games at Appleton over the last three years, I have been a bit disappointed in the number of fans that show up for games. It is a small, old barn that could give SLU a great advantage, but I just haven't seen it other than the Clarkson games. It really is a classic, old rink that looks exactly the same as it did in the 70s (probably earlier). For us hockey traditionalists, it is one of the best college barns left.
                          Canton, NY is truly in the middle of nowhere, but is only about 75 miles south of Ottawa, Canada.
                          Thank you Tech for giving up your Thanksgiving and coming to the North Country. Let's hope for two great games.
                          Go Saints.....or us old guys, Go Larries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Larriecat View Post
                            It really is a classic, old rink that looks exactly the same as it did in the 70s (probably earlier). For us hockey traditionalists, it is one of the best college barns left.
                            Canton, NY is truly in the middle of nowhere, but is only about 75 miles south of Ottawa, Canada.
                            Thank you Tech for giving up your Thanksgiving and coming to the North Country. Let's hope for two great games.
                            Go Saints.....or us old guys, Go Larries.....
                            now I really wish we were coming to the games
                            Boosh Factor 4

Comment

now I really wish we were coming to the games
                              Come on out to the games then. You will enjoy Appleton Arena

Comment

Come on out to the games then. You will enjoy Appleton Arena
                                I wish. we actually talked about the trip and how it could work. I wanted to roll it in with a train trip. but family is here in Denver, so we will have to catch it the next time.
                                Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Working...
                                X