Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MN @ MSU: tArrogance vs The Little Sister of Blue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MN @ MSU: tArrogance vs The Little Sister of Blue.

Originally posted by mariucci View Post
    Amen!! Kind of a reverse from last season. But glad they seem to be "adjusting" (not coming out flat on Sat night).
    A lot has been mentioned about how the Gophers wear down teams. Maybe this is what we're seeing now. It just takes them 4 periods before the wearing down kicks in in full force because the Gophers consistantly pull away from teams towards the middle of Saturday's game.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
      A lot has been mentioned about how the Gophers wear down teams. Maybe this is what we're seeing now. It just takes them 4 periods before the wearing down kicks in in full force because the Gophers consistantly pull away from teams towards the middle of Saturday's game.
      You mean that lull of a second period against cloud on Saturday night?
      I know what you are saying though and it was great to see them put the pedal down and bury cloud in the third.
      "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
        You mean that lull of a second period against cloud on Saturday night?
        I know what you are saying though and it was great to see them put the pedal down and bury cloud in the third.
        Point taken. It was at least 4 periods against WI so let's just go with 3-4.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
          Point taken. It was at least 4 periods against WI so let's just go with 3-4.
          I was just giving you crap. I agree with your point. It is a testament to this Gopher team so far compared to years past. Recent teams may have had that second period lull like they had on Saturday and let in a goal or two and then it becomes a totally different game. Instead, they were able to keep the puck out of the net by being defensively sound(and having a red hot goaltender) even though the offense was quiet.
          "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Preview from Gophersports

Minnesota Vs. Michigan State: This weekend, Minnesota will look to take back the Mariucci-Bessone Trophy against Michigan State after the Spartans reclaimed it for the first time since 2000 with a 5-2 win last year in Minneapolis. The teams will play in a weekend series in East Lansing, Mich. for the first time since Feb 1 and 2, 1980. The Gophers and Spartans have met at least once a season since 1993-94 thanks the now-defunct College Hockey Showcase, but only played each other twice in the same year one time (1996-97) in that span.

This weekend will mark the 33rd two-game series between Minnesota and MSU in East Lansing Mich. The Gophers are 39-23-2 in those games and have a total record of 42-25-5 on the road against the Spartans. UM also holds the advantage overall in the all-time series against Michigan State with 101-42-11 ledger.

About The Spartans: Just like the Minnesota, 20th-ranked Michigan State is looking to reach the NCAA Tournament for the first time in four years. Under first-year head coach Tom Anastos, the Spartans are off to a 7-5-0 start with a 4-4-0 CCHA record. After going 1-3 in its first four games, MSU began to heat up in mid-October and has now won five of its last six games. The Spartans' recent surge, which includes a road sweep over then-No. 5 Western Michigan, has helped the team climb back into the USCHO.com national rankings for the first time since Nov. 15, 2010.

Sophomores Lee Reimer (6g-11a) and Greg Wolfe (4g-8a) lead the team offensively, but senior Mike Merrifield leads the team in goals with seven, despite having played only eight games. The Spartans, who have allowed two goals in each of their last six games, are led on the back end by junior Torey Krug (4g-5a) and senior Brock Shelgren (1g-6a). Second-year goaltender Will Yanakeff is 5-2-0 in seven games between the pipes with a 2.44 goals against average and a .920 save percentage. Senior Drew Palmisano is 2-3-0 in five starts.

In The Polls: After a weekend split against St. Cloud State, the Gophers slipped from No. 1 in both major polls. Minnesota is now ranked No. 3 in the USCHO poll and No. 2 in the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine poll. The Gophers were ranked No. 1 for two weeks and were 2-2-0 as the top-ranked team in the nation.

See You Soon: This weekend will offer a glimpse into the future, as Minnesota and Michigan State will both begin competing in the new Big Ten conference during the 2013-14 season. In addition to Minnesota and Michigan State, the Big Ten conference will feature Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and Wisconsin. The Gophers are 1-1-0 this year against teams who compete in the Big Ten conference, as they split a series at Wisconsin two weeks ago. Minnesota does not play Michigan or Ohio State this year and Penn State does not yet have a varsity team.

Let's Play Two: The Gophers and Spartans are playing two games this weekend. It will be the first time since the 1996-97 season that the two schools will play two times during the season. That year, Minnesota beat Michigan State 5-3 in the regular season and 6-3 in the first round of the NCAA West Regional in Grand Rapids, Mich. The teams have traditionally played only once a year in the now-defunct College Hockey Showcase. In the Showcase, which ended last season, the Gophers would play the Spartans and Michigan Wolverines, while the two Michigan schools would play Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Ranked Opponent: Michigan State is ranked No. 20 according to USCHO.com. The Spartans will be the third ranked opponent that Minnesota will face this year. The Gophers are 4-0-0 against teams ranked in the USCHO poll this year as they swept then-No. 9 Minnesota Duluth and then No. 15 North Dakota.
            Originally posted by CavalryNate
            Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
              Battle of the HAWT coaches.......

Are either of these games on TV?
              You should be hoping that Casey Hankinson is doing the color for the broadcast if you think tDon is hawt.

Even though he's young enough to be your ... younger brother.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                You should be hoping that Casey Hankinson is doing the color for the broadcast if you think tDon is hawt.

Even though he's young enough to be your ... younger brother.
                Yeah but tDon has glorious hair. At least he did back in 02-04.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

a sweep would be huge for the gophers pairwise come year end but id half expect a split this weekend. go gophs

Comment

MN got dominated for the first 15 minutes of the game, and for the rest of the game it was spotty. Patterson is directly to blame for at least 2 goals, and Marshall needs to get his head out of his arse when taking on a guy.

Congrats, MSU. You beat us tonight. Hope our 6-0 record on Saturdays carries over tomorrow night.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      MN got dominated for the first 15 minutes of the game, and for the rest of the game it was spotty. Patterson is directly to blame for at least 2 goals, and Marshall needs to get his head out of his arse when taking on a guy.

Congrats, MSU. You beat us tonight. Hope our 6-0 record on Saturdays carries over tomorrow night.
                      I was pleasantly surprised to see the home team hold its own for the last 20 minutes after weathering the storm from about 15:00 of the first to the middle of the second period. Minnesota had about a zillion opportunities to capitalize on takeaways - some just forced bad passes and others with our defensive puck-movers simply getting schooled and having lunchmoney taken. But I'm sure Palmisano was just chomping at the bit to get a chance in net tonight and it showed. Spartans only got off 24 shots, but a lot of quality ones nonetheless.

I think there may be something to this Friday thing for the Gophers.

Hey what about the After Party, though huh? I turned my head and all of a sudden the visitors were off the ice. No attempt at a handshake line?

Comment

In the WCHA teams shake hands at the end of the 2nd game of the series. at least that's the tradition.
                        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

That's actually exactly what i have been saying about the first period. The first 15 minutes were great for msu, then last 5, Minny made us look like a high school team.

I am quite pleased with our overall performance. Minnesota is clearly very good and skilled and it showed in the overall pace of the game. We were able to keep many Minnesota shots manageable for Palmisano and did a pretty good job generating scoring opportunities when they were available themselves.

I am excited we got at least one win, while missing 2 important guys no less. Minnesota is definitely the most skilled team i have seen us play so far. And it looks like we will be back to swapping goaltenders by the game again.

Comment

I really thought when MN came back and tie the game late in the first they would come out the 2nd and take control of the game. Well done by MSU to frustrate MN and capitalize on their chances for a very well earned win. I was most impressd with MSU's ability to keep MN from breaking out cleanly as well as their ability to clog the neutral zone, MN doesn't ajdust too well (or quickly) whent its D are pressured and MSU did a nice job of keeping them guessing.

BTW, MN's 2nd & 3rd lines were on my milk carton this morning. Has anyone seen them?

EDIT: Despite the chirping from MN's broadcast team I don't the NHL rink size did not have a major impact on MN's play, they have played well on non-Olympic sheets before this season. Methinks what did affect them is the small space behind the nets, MN's bread-n-butter breakout involves moving the puck from D to D behind the net to create time/space and having players on them quickly and the lack of passing lanes really limited MN in their zone. This is where MN's youth (and for some learning again how to be coached...) on the blue line really shows.
                            Last edited by Greyeagle; 11-26-2011, 09:13 AM.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                            And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                            Twenty red lights in his honor
                            Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

I was under the impression that only the gophers could beat the gophers but now you're telling me MSU can accomplish that seemingly impossible feat?! I'm calling Schlossman this is big news!
                              "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                              Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                              The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                              Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                                I was under the impression that only the gophers could beat the gophers but now you're telling me MSU can accomplish that seemingly impossible feat?! I'm calling Schlossman this is big news!
                                Obsession.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X