X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread Part Deux

Limey,

I agree with pretty much everything you said. I certainly have no problem with people who think Parker handled the situation correctly after the third incident. However, I also have no problem with those who think Trivino should have been booted after his third incident or that he only be allowed to continue if he agreed to get help.

Comment

Wow this devolved. I would say rape is an extremely heinous crime that I would rank up with drunk driving leading to manslaughter. Whether you think one requires a different level of insanity, the other leads to someone being dead. Both awful. I don't think we can call what happened "rape" by the normal standard going off the police reports and info so far. The indecent assault charge is more likely to stick, and I agree with pirate, I'd rather hear someone was emotionally distraught but police arrived before anything worse happened than someone was struck and killed.
      Boston University 2009 Champs
      Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        This still doesn't mean Parker couldn't have said either you get help or you don't play for me.
        This is semantics. "You need to get help because if there is another incident you won't play for me anymore" is basically the same as "either you get help or you don't play for me anymore".

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
          This is semantics. "You need to get help because if there is another incident you won't play for me anymore" is basically the same as "either you get help or you don't play for me anymore".
          This is absolutely not semantics. At the time of the third incident, Parker could have said you have to get help before you play again (meaning sign up/show proof he was going, etc.). This is not the same as saying if there's another incident, you're gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            That just makes me ill.

Is breaking and entering at night that different than breaking and entering in the day time? It seems like an odd way to address that charge.
            Scarlet - the Mass. laws are, like 49 of the 50 states, based on English common law. In England the common law definition of burglary was "breaking and entering a dwelling house at nighttime with intent to commit a felony" each of the elements would be required for a burglary conviction.

I must say i have no sympathy for Trevino in this affair but feel badly for the young woman and for Jack Parker who is a very decent gentleman who has run a fine program for many years.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
              Parker explained why Trivino was kicked off of the team: that it was his fourth alcohol-related incident, that they wanted him to get help previously and when he chose not to was given the ultimatum that he was out of any more chances.

He didn't give a play-by-play of the alleged incident with the RA.
              Easy Harry, I didn't claim he said anything regarding the events in the dorm. He just went into intricate detail about a student (seems these matters are confidential by law), his alleged issues, how they were handled so that nobody would dare question that JP was in any way responsible. I'm not implying JP is responsible in any way but there's this look of running from the broken glass on the floor so nobody will think I dropped it. I intrepretted his comments as out of character for him with a little distancing going on.

Just my take that his interview came across oddly to me although I 100% support Trivino's swift dismissal from the team. As others have said, I find this whole incident terribly sad.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
                Went to the BU-Villanova basketball game...set the sport back 50 years. First half was a debacle for both teams, only BU could maintain the effort for a whole game. #1 for BU single handedly took the game over with repeated quick look three attempts that were lucky to catch any iron. The whole team fell apart in the second half and #1 stayed out there and kept shooting. The crowd was yelling for VU to not cover him so he'd get the ball and launch another brick. Stunning that Jones left him in the game as long as they did. At one point we had BU scoring 5 points in a ~15 minute span including the end of the first and start of the second...I'll grant the terriers that the refs appeared to be members of the VU booster club but nobody could have overcome the feeble effort from BU. Really disappointed that they lost big AND looked like a badly coached high school team..
                Don't follow the basketball team consistently, but isn't #1 like the 2nd or 3rd leading scorer in the country? If so, I can't really fault the coaching staff for leaving him in, and can't fault the player for continuing to put them up.... sometimes your next shot is the one that gets you on a hot streak. At the same time, America East teams are not supposed to beat Big East teams. Things will seem better when we get into the America East schedule.

Comment

So I heard about this early Monday and I haven't posted in a long time, but it has drawn me back in. I am a criminal defense attorney so it has been interesting to read some of your responses and reactions. For one thing, I hope J.D. never serves on a jury for a criminal matter after his "Trivino is not innocent" post. But I digress.

People are referring to him on other sites as a rapist and there's a discussion in this thread about rapists in general. People here on this thread are referring to him as a terrible person, he committed a despicable act, etc. So here is my question, and I suppose it is a little impossible to truthfully answer at this point since this isn't the case, but what would your reaction be if the three counts of breaking and entering in the nighttime and one count of assault with attempt to rape were not charged? In other words, if the words burglary and attempted rape weren't in any articles about this incident, how would you feel about it and Corey's innocence/guilt? You'd be reading an article about a heavily intoxicated college student who apparently walked through a door that was opened for him, grabbed an RA and kissed her, on three repeated occassions, and he was charged with three counts of indecent assault and battery.

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
                    Wow this devolved. I would say rape is an extremely heinous crime that I would rank up with drunk driving leading to manslaughter. Whether you think one requires a different level of insanity, the other leads to someone being dead. Both awful. I don't think we can call what happened "rape" by the normal standard going off the police reports and info so far. The indecent assault charge is more likely to stick, and I agree with pirate, I'd rather hear someone was emotionally distraught but police arrived before anything worse happened than someone was struck and killed.
                    I agree - based on what I have read, I don't consider this a rape situation. I don't want to minimize the trauma that the RA may have gone through, but to me this is a case of an extremely drunk college student, who has a big head because he is a BMOC, and he decides he wants to try to convince this RA to have some fun with him. If he wanted to rape her, he would have been violent with her from the point of first resistance, and he would not have left the first time that he did. I don't think a rape would have resulted in comments like, "Corey, you need to leave", but rather high pitched screams.

Again, I'm not saying Trivino should get any breaks here, and he clearly has a problem with alcohol, but I think it is going overboard to call the events "attempted rape" (based on what I have read). All the history with him is with alcohol, we haven't heard any history of him being violent with women, or for that matter, anyone.
                    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by Salvo1017 View Post
                      in my mind having little to no punitive consequences for your actions is exactly what leads to this kind of behavior in the first place.
                      Despite what many others have reiterated here, you just don't get it. You CANNOT force someone to "get help." My wife was previously married to an alcoholic. For seven years she thought that she would be able to "help him." But after seven years of his walking through the door drunk at four in the morning, she gave up.

Just exactly what "punitive consequences" do you think should have been taken? You act as if you're SO concerned for his welfare. I see a trend here...this is an easy opportunity for the BU haters to get in another "shot" at anything BU. This is not about rivalries and which school is "better." This is about a person who would not accept responsibility for his actions. That's right - whatever happened to PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY?

Would Corey have had a better support system anywhere else? And why does this society always attempt to find a scapegoat for everything? Why do we always have to BLAME someone? It is not ANYONE ELSE'S reponsibility to "get help" for him. And, as was previously mentioned, it is CERTAINLY not MORE of a responsibility for his coach and teammates than it is for his parents/family.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                        I suggesting there's good reason for BU alums to be embarrassed by his behavior.
                        Says the guy supporting the team with the elephant walkers.
                        Lowell Forever
                        Forever Lowell

Comment

As a father of two boys ages 9 and 14, I just hope this young man is able to get the help he needs. Alchohal and all that surrounds a drinking problem can have a devastating impact on the rest of this young man's life, and he will have to deal with the consequences of his actions going forward from this incident.

The hatred and virulent posts are sad to see, let those of us who have never made a mistake judge.

Comment

I have to say that although this is certainly a newsworthy event, I find all this speculation wildly irresponsible.

Corey clearly screwed up, to what extent only he and the woman involved now know.

If she felt the need to place this in the hands of the authorities then he clearly behaved pretty badly.

Nobody can deny that Coach Parker did the right thing, especially since he has been warned about his behavior in the past.

Should he have been on the team considering past transgressions? I don't really know what those were so I can't say.

I think we should leave this to the system and leave the commentary to those of us who might actually know some facts.
                            Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

Do you think we might see Hohmann between Gill and Connolly?

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                                Do you think we might see Hohmann between Gill and Connolly?
                                Seems too small a line to me. I always think it's better to have one smaller puck handler between a couple of big guys.

I wouldn't mind seeing this:

Coyle-Connolly-Chiasson

Megan-Nieto-Gill

Courtnall-Hohmann-Rodrigues

Gaudet-Rosen-Cisse

Looks well balanced in size and skill to me...

But I'm not in charge.
                                Last edited by Jacques Joubert; 12-14-2011, 08:09 AM.
                                Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X