X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Season Thread Part Deux

Two vastly different comments to make:

Went to the BU-Villanova basketball game...set the sport back 50 years. First half was a debacle for both teams, only BU could maintain the effort for a whole game. #1 for BU single handedly took the game over with repeated quick look three attempts that were lucky to catch any iron. The whole team fell apart in the second half and #1 stayed out there and kept shooting. The crowd was yelling for VU to not cover him so he'd get the ball and launch another brick. Stunning that Jones left him in the game as long as they did. At one point we had BU scoring 5 points in a ~15 minute span including the end of the first and start of the second...I'll grant the terriers that the refs appeared to be members of the VU booster club but nobody could have overcome the feeble effort from BU. Really disappointed that they lost big AND looked like a badly coached high school team.

And, as a person who lost a brother to a drunk driver and currently has two teenage daughters, I'd say I'd rather get the call that my daughter kneed some drunk in the nuts and called the police than get the call that I needed to come down and identify my son at the morgue because some idiot killed him and was unscratched.
    I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Minimum sentencing guidelines in MA are 1 year for OUI vehicular homicide and 5 years for rape. You guys are free to have your opinion, my opinion is that almost anyone at one time or another has driven when they shouldn't have, while very few people are capable of raping someone. There's a reason why the state has a sexual offender database....

Comment

FOR THE LAST TIME, I am not condoning drunk driving, I am fully aware that it is a terrible thing to do. What I am saying, is that you don't have to be a Psychopath to have driven drunk, while you certainly do need to be one to have committed rape. Who would you rather live next to, a guy that got drunk at his senior prom 30 years ago and killed someone driving drunk and hasn't had a drink since or a rapist?

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
          Two vastly different comments to make:

Went to the BU-Villanova basketball game...set the sport back 50 years. First half was a debacle for both teams, only BU could maintain the effort for a whole game. #1 for BU single handedly took the game over with repeated quick look three attempts that were lucky to catch any iron. The whole team fell apart in the second half and #1 stayed out there and kept shooting. The crowd was yelling for VU to not cover him so he'd get the ball and launch another brick. Stunning that Jones left him in the game as long as they did. At one point we had BU scoring 5 points in a ~15 minute span including the end of the first and start of the second...I'll grant the terriers that the refs appeared to be members of the VU booster club but nobody could have overcome the feeble effort from BU. Really disappointed that they lost big AND looked like a badly coached high school team.

And, as a person who lost a brother to a drunk driver and currently has two teenage daughters, I'd say I'd rather get the call that my daughter kneed some drunk in the nuts and called the police than get the call that I needed to come down and identify my son at the morgue because some idiot killed him and was unscratched.
          Pirate, my condolences to you for the loss of your brother in such a tragic manner.

Comment

Originally posted by collegefan06 View Post
            Pirate, my condolences to you for the loss of your brother in such a tragic manner.
            Ditto

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
              Minimum sentencing guidelines in MA are 1 year for OUI vehicular homicide and 5 years for rape. You guys are free to have your opinion, my opinion is that almost anyone at one time or another has driven when they shouldn't have, while very few people are capable of raping someone. There's a reason why the state has a sexual offender database....
              Originally posted by Agganis View Post
              What if you rape someone when you're drunk and it's not premeditated, and rather just being incoherent. On the decency standards where do they rank compared to Mr DUI
              I honestly want to know your answer to the above question. Not flaming or anything.

Comment

I honestly want to know your answer to the above question. Not flaming or anything.
                Date rape is still rape. Again, when your $hitfaced and get behind the wheel, you're still not planning on committing a felony, whereas when you get drunk and rape someone, there's a 100% certainty that you are commiting a heinous felony. I suppose you think killing someone when you're high on drugs is an excuse too? Again, OUI and rape are both terrible acts, but I think rape is clearly the worse of two evils.

Comment

Sorry for not coming on here earlier. We have been swamped all day with trying to get as much accurate information out about this as possible. We are looking into some complications in both the victim and Coach Parker's stories and hopefully will have more to come in the next couple of days.

I just wanted to say that the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober. He can even be somewhat timid/bashful at times. There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

I don't know why Parker did not really punish Trivino for his infraction last spring. I was shocked to hear that Parker chose not to do anything and asked him quite a few questions about that, but Parker seemed to think that giving Trivino a final warning was the best thing to do. He said Trivino is not the first player he has coached to have a substance abuse issue, and he has seen an unbelievable amount of those issues during his 39 years of coaching. If Trivino truly does have the substance abuse issue that Parker says he does, I'm not convinced Parker did everything he could to prevent Trivino from getting himself into a bad situation.
                  http://thebostonhockeyblog.blogspot.com/

Places I've watched college hockey: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Scottrade Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Huskies01 View Post
                    Wait. Why? Was this such a tough decision to make here? We now congratulate people for doing the right thing? Weak.

But I have some questions here for coach Parker. So, you know this student athlete has had problems with drinking before, and in fact, is on warning that if he screws up again, he is booted off the team. When he was made aware of this, was he asked/forced to take a class or two on the dangers of drinking, or something along those lines? Did you perhaps after the first issue, get in touch with his parents and ask, as politely as possible, is there a family history with alcohol abuse, I only ask because we have had a few issues with your son in his short time here, and we would love to get him help so he can continue on with a promising hockey career? And, not as important but, reporters are now saying that coach Parker said it was easy for him to let Corey go because he was on warning. So wait, if he wasn't, he would still be a member of the squad pending charges against him, or the decision would have been tougher?

To me, it seems like this kid has a problem, and was left to hang out to dry by his coach and the university.

I write this pending more information coming out on what might have been done to help this kid after his previous issues. But please, lets not congratulate the coach here for "doing the right thing." The right thing would have been to get him help in the first place so this issue does not happen. Not leave the choice in the hand of a kid who has already proved he cannot handle making the right decision.
                    +1 well said.

Comment

Earlier I posted my thoughts on what would possibly happen from the legal end of things.For the first time in 6 or 7 years on this board, I feel the need to chose my words extremely carefully after reading through so many articulate thoughts. That being said, hopefully the alleged victim, the school, the team , and yes, Corey himself can get past this and move on. Easier said than done, but my true reaction to this is saddness on so many different levels. I don't know what else to say....
                      Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

The second area that just doens't add up is Parker's interview. I've never seen a coach/school official disclose the amount of details and dirty laundry that Parker did in his interview. I'm not an attorney but wonder about the propriety of what all he disclosed to the press given privacy laws that protect students. Make no mistake, I believe that with Trivino's history and this event dismissal from the team was an automatic but the degree Parker went to to plead his position just seems like someone trying too hard to get his sound bites out and is odd to me.
                        Parker explained why Trivino was kicked off of the team: that it was his fourth alcohol-related incident, that they wanted him to get help previously and when he chose not to was given the ultimatum that he was out of any more chances.

He didn't give a play-by-play of the alleged incident with the RA.

Comment

One thing I will say, while I don't know the details of what happened, the kid will probably be treated a lot less harshly if he was just drunkenly groping vs forcibly, violently attempting to rape the poor girl.

Comment

This conversation is pointless. Both DWI and rape are terrible crimes. Why is this being discussed here?

However, I'm not surprised that the usual suspects are pointing the finger at Parker for Trivino's mistakes. But it is ridiculous. While Parker was right to give Trivino the ultimatum because he had alcohol related incidents in the past, I hardly think expelling him from school (as one poster suggested) is remotely close to the appropriate response. After all, it appears that his prior incidents had nothing to do with crime or anything closely related to the alleged attack. Instead, they appear to be lapses in judgment which impacted his ability to practice or show up on time without hurting (or coming close to hurting) anyone.

People are decrying JP as if Trivino had a rap sheet for assaulting girls when it merely appears that he was acting immaturely but only to the detriment of himself.

Trivino will get what he deserves under the circumstances, but I think BU / Parker acted exactly as they should have.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                              But what you, Salvo and others are not understanding, is that unless Trivino accepted that he needed help, then that "help" would not have been helpful. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
                              This still doesn't mean Parker couldn't have said either you get help or you don't play for me.

First, I don't know exactly what happened but if Trivino assaulted this RA he dserves severe punishment. That said, this just doesn't seem to be adding up to me. I think there are facts we are not aware of and a degree of spin that leaves me with many questions.

I do know that Trivino is well known to be very laid back and not a violent type at all. If he was drunk out of his mind that could have changed things but there tend to be happy drunks and violent drunks and I put him in the first category.

I'm also guessing Trivino was let into this woman's room because there is no way he broke down a locked dorm door. [I just read a more detailed account explaining that he was let into the room...not quite sure why he would have been let in again following his despicable attemts to kiss her, etc as reported the first time her door was open] If he was let in, I can't help but question what transpired after that. I'm guessing this RA and Corey had history...maybe positive and maybe negative. Trivino showed incredibly poor judgement regardless but until the facts come out all we can do is speculate. I don't believe it's beyond the realm of possibility that if this RA had a tense relationship with Trivino and other hockey players that could factor into whatever happened as well as what she alleged.

I don't know what happened Sunday night but believe that withholding judgement and delaying his lynching in the press and sports blogs is the appropriate way to go until there is more clarity for everyone to make an informed judgement at that time.
                              Did you even read any of the articles out there on this? If you did, it would answer a lot of your questions. Obviously nobody here "knows" what happened. We're all going on what was reported. I don't care what category of drunk you'd put Trivino in...it's irrelevant to what's actually being reported.

He didn't break down a locked door, but he also was not "allowed" into the room by the RA. Again, you'd know this if you read the info out there. The press/sports blogs you speak of have not/are not "lynching" Trivino. They just reported the allegations/arrest. Why is it you have no problem "speculating" to try and mitigate what might have happened?

Comment

Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                                going back a ways:

Lappins

Paul Miller
                                Todd Johnson
                                Bruce Milton
                                LaCouture

all left because of Parker
                                Miller was kicked off of the team for his bad attitude, LaCouture wasn't handling school academically and no one missed Bruce Milton when he transferred to BC. Same when the Lappins went off to St. Lawrence.

As for Todd Johnson, that is an interesting name to include in this list. He got another chance and made of the most of it. He received the George V. Brown Award as BU's team MVP during his senior year in 1980-81.
                                So if he "left BU" with a degree and an MVP award, I guess you can credit that to Parker, too.

The bottom line is that anyone, anywhere, that has been coaching for a long time is going to come into contact with good characters and bad characters. And you've got to deal with both of them, and take the negative publicity that goes with it when things don't work out.

Comment

Working...
                                X