NMU 2011-12 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NMU 2011-12 Season Thread

Anybody know the status of Gron and Cherniwchan and whether they'll be skating this Friday?
    NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
      Anybody know the status of Gron and Cherniwchan and whether they'll be skating this Friday?
      Gron was limited in practice yesterday according to @MattWellens. Chewy was participating in full practice.

As for the 12-4 stretch, while it may seem daunting, I fully believe this team can do it. It's a goal they should have. Plus, I'm not a big fan of leaving fate to other teams. Why not control it ourselves?

And I'm greedy; I want a certain chunk of marble to decorate our display case before the league disbands.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

What's quality like? Worth watching (or is it like the Tech stream.... which is not the best)
        MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
          What's quality like? Worth watching (or is it like the Tech stream.... which is not the best)
          For $7, you get what you pay for. Visuals to accompany the radio feed. It's generally one camera that follows the action. No replay.

I believe the last home series was a special treat from a campus Broadcast Production class where they had multiple angles and their own play-by-play (which, generally, is awful because they're college kids who don't give a sh** about hockey).

I used to have screenshots saved before my website took a dive.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            For $7, you get what you pay for. Visuals to accompany the radio feed. It's generally one camera that follows the action. No replay.

I believe the last home series was a special treat from a campus Broadcast Production class where they had multiple angles and their own play-by-play (which, generally, is awful because they're college kids who don't give a sh** about hockey).

I used to have screenshots saved before my website took a dive.
            I'll usually pay anyways, even if I know it's going to be crap... Was just curious.
            MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Monday night on the Vango's NMU Sports Roundtable Show, Walt said that Cherniwchan, Gron and Nugent would miss this weekend.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Article to read from The Mining Journal: NMU vs Tech Friday Night

Quote from the article:

...Vigier said. "It's going to be a battle. It's a huge game for us nationally. It's important to all of us, so we're going to try and keep cool heads for sure."

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Thought the defense looked great tonight--really keeping things to the outside. Did a good job of transitioning out of their own zone and they caused Tech to turn over the puck several times--one being Gron's nice goal at 8:30 in the 3rd. They cycled the puck pretty good in Tech's zone and it's nice to see them with a 32 shot night. PK was good. But Tech did not look like they showed up for this one--they seemed out of sorts, maybe still reeling from last weekends Minnesota series.

Comment

Nice win last night vs Tech!!

Looks like Grn may have found a home on a line with Thurber and Seckel.

Last nights stats for that line:

Player Goals Assists Pts SOG +/-

Gron 2 1 3 6 +3

Thurber 0 2 2 6 +3

Seckel 1 0 1 3 +3

Not a bad night for a line 3 Goals, 6 Points, 15 Shots, +9

Hope this builds into the 2nd half!

Comment

Remaining schedule: Alaska 2x, @MSU 2x, @Tech, @Miami 2x, Ferris 2x, @ BG 2x, @UoM 2x, LSSU 2x.

OK, here we go...NMU is tied for 9th in the PairWise with MSU. All of the remaining teams that the 'Cats play, except BGSU, are in the top 30 (Tech is 31, close enough).

Only 6 home games and 9 games on the road. No team can be taken lightly: remember the first round against BGSU last year.

I say 10 - 5 best case, 8 - 7 worst case, but I hope they can do better. The road trips to Lansing, Oxford, and A2 will be telling.

Should be a very interesting second half for NMU and the CCHA in general.

Comment

Remaining schedule: Alaska 2x, @MSU 2x, @Tech, @Miami 2x, Ferris 2x, @ BG 2x, @UoM 2x, LSSU 2x.

OK, here we go...NMU is tied for 9th in the PairWise with MSU. All of the remaining teams that the 'Cats play, except BGSU, are in the top 30 (Tech is 31, close enough).

Only 6 home games and 9 games on the road. No team can be taken lightly: remember the first round against BGSU last year.

I say 10 - 5 best case, 8 - 7 worst case, but I hope they can do better. The road trips to Lansing, Oxford, and A2 will be telling.

Should be a very interesting second half for NMU and the CCHA in general.

NMU took Bowling Green lightly? Really? NMU outshot BG 29-20 in the 2-0 loss in Game 2 and 45-34 in the Double OT 2-1 loss in game 3. What would lead you to believe that NMU took the Falcons lightly? Maybe it was more a case of running into a hot goalie that stopped 73 of 74 shots.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                          NMU took Bowling Green lightly? Really? NMU outshot BG 29-20 in the 2-0 loss in Game 2 and 45-34 in the Double OT 2-1 loss in game 3. What would lead you to believe that NMU took the Falcons lightly? Maybe it was more a case of running into a hot goalie that stopped 73 of 74 shots.
                          Not trying to argue, I agree with you...I'm sure they don't take teams lightly--it's simply my hope that they don't and won't. It was a mistake to use the BGSU series as an example.

I can't get into a statistical argument with you, because most likely stats aren't going to matter when up against CCHA opponents. And, I'm not going to do the research to support what would probably be my inane claims.

My post was simply made because I'm a fan and I'm hoping for the "best case scenario" for the rest of their season.

Mostly, I just wanted to see what the rest of you thought of the games the remainder of the season and how you think the 'cats will fare.

As I said, "should be a very interesting second half for NMU and the CCHA in general."
                          Last edited by aygwm2; 12-17-2011, 01:50 PM.

Comment

• Walchuk Back In The Snake Pit

Dylan Walchuk returns to Vernon Vipers.

http://1075kiss.com/local-first/kiss-news/4763-walchuk-to-return-to-snake-pit

Comment

• Re: Walchuk Back In The Snake Pit

Originally posted by abro2007 View Post
                              Dylan Walchuk returns to Vernon Vipers.

http://1075kiss.com/local-first/kiss...n-to-snake-pit

This bites. He was a big contributer as a freshman. It's a big hole to try to fill not just now but going forward since I'm sure Walt had him pegged for four years. It puts a monkey wrench in recruiting. The Cats can't afford any injuries the rest of the season.

Comment

Any word on if he'll return next year?
                                NMU

Comment

Working...
                                X