NMU 2011-12 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NMU 2011-12 Season Thread

well, that OT goal really hurt in more ways than one, especially since I saw it in person. What does Northern have to do from here to climb back up in the PWR? I'm wondering if 6 points in da Soo is a must.
    NMU '10

Comment

• Originally posted by sisu458 View Post
      well, that OT goal really hurt in more ways than one, especially since I saw it in person. What does Northern have to do from here to climb back up in the PWR? I'm wondering if 6 points in da Soo is a must.
      Their actually in Marquette next weekend, but a sweep is a must if they want to keep their season alive. If they can wrap up a 6th seed, odds are you would end up going to play Michigan in the 2nd round at Yost. That being said they just need to play as hard as they did last night from here on out.
      Last edited by NMUFAN21; 02-19-2012, 10:01 AM.
      NMU

Comment

I just wanted to say that Cherniwchan's goal last night to tie the game was worth the price of my monthly cable bill. The way that he deked Merrill out of his skates, sending him to the ice, and shot the puck top-shelf past Hunwick's glove was priceless. Too bad the overtime didn't end in a tie, because the 'Cats deserved at least one point last night.
        NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Originally posted by sisu458 View Post
          Im not as much concerned with the CCHA points as the Ws at this point. Sitting at 17th in the PWR, and playing a LSSU team that has some great PWR points. With the CCHA being so strong this year, the first round match at NMU (should they get home ice) will have some great PWR implications as well.
          Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
          1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
          2006-2007: 15-24-2
          2007-2008: 20-20-4
          2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
            I just wanted to say that Cherniwchan's goal last night to tie the game was worth the price of my monthly cable bill. The way that he deked Merrill out of his skates, sending him to the ice, and shot the puck top-shelf past Hunwick's glove was priceless. Too bad the overtime didn't end in a tie, because the 'Cats deserved at least one point last night.
            A couple of us were watching the game, and both of us basically yelled, "Holy f* that was SICK!" upon watching that goal. That was an amazing goal.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Cherniwchans Goal has to be the #1 play of the week, sickest play I've seen in awhile.

If it makes any thing better the Cats probably won't play at yost if they win their 1st round. Just gotta win everyone from here on out! Go Cats!
              Last edited by NMUFAN21; 02-19-2012, 05:14 PM.
              NMU

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN21 View Post
                Cherniwchans Goal has to be the #1 play of the week, sickest play I've seen in awhile.

If it makes any thing better the Cats probably won't play at yost if they win their 1st round. Just gotta win everyone from here on out! Go Cats!
                Pretty hard to predict who the Cats will or won't play in the first round considering they could finish anywhere from 6-9. If the Cats finish at #7 and win their first round series, then it's very likely they'd play at Yost. Or if they finish lower and there's a mild upset behind them in the standings, Yost is as much in play as any other 2nd round venue. When you consider that UM needs only a split against Bowling Green to secure a top 3 finish, and the fact that #5 plays at #4 in the second round, the chances of going to Ann Arbor if NMU wins the first round are actually pretty good.
                Last edited by davyd83; 02-19-2012, 07:35 PM.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

CCHA Playoffs Scenarios:
                  http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....yoff-scenarios
                  NMU

Comment

Well, we're gonna be somewhere between 6th and 9th....

Currently we are Tied for 7th with ND and tOSU....

A Win (in Regulation or OT) would clinch a home playoff series (8th place at least)....

NMU would lose any tiebreakers with tOSU and ND because both have more CCHA wins...

Just win, and let the rest sort it self out basically....
                    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Great game by your guys tonight congrats.
                      BLEED BLUE

Comment

(11) Bowling Green at (6) Northern Michigan next weekend at the Berry. If that Cats play the way they did this weekend they should have no problem with this series, the key thing they need to work on is power plays. If the Cats win 2/3 next weekend they would play at (3) Western Michigan, which I think they can compete with and I personally believe is better than playing at Miami. The Cats just have to play the way they have the past 3 games and the Joe/NCAA's will be in their reach.

Go Cats!
                        NMU

Comment

Now the fun begins....

In all honesty, I don't care about the CCHA Tourney at this point.... The CCHA is simply stacked this year... On paper, I am ok with a "Sub-Par" result (not making the Joe)... What I desperately want for this team is an NCAA bid however... At this point, we are the last team that is solidly in... To keep that, BGSU must be taken care of swiftly and cleanly... The Cats have little to gain, but a lot to lose this weekend in MQT... Take care of business, and we get that much closer...
                          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                            Now the fun begins....

In all honesty, I don't care about the CCHA Tourney at this point.... The CCHA is simply stacked this year... On paper, I am ok with a "Sub-Par" result (not making the Joe)... What I desperately want for this team is an NCAA bid however... At this point, we are the last team that is solidly in... To keep that, BGSU must be taken care of swiftly and cleanly... The Cats have little to gain, but a lot to lose this weekend in MQT... Take care of business, and we get that much closer...
                            I'm not a number cruncher so, if NMU is currently tied for 11th in the PWR and they at least have two to three more games in the season, and other teams that are TUC are still playing, what are the scenarios for the 'Cats right now?

Ultimately, it's really in NMU's hands to win as many games as they can to keep their NCAA birth hope alive and not count on other teams to keep them in the bubble.

I think these CCHA tournament games are all important for the 'Cats and I hope they can make a run to the Joe.

But, if they beat BG, but then lose in the second round the number crunching would be nerve-racking.

We shall see. I'm hoping they can beat BG and make it down to K-zoo so I can watch them live in a couple weekends.

GO 'CATS!!!
                            Last edited by aygwm2; 02-26-2012, 04:02 PM.
                            NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

as others have voiced, a sweep of BGSU is a must. Beyond that, I think NMU will need at least one win in the second round to put themselves in position for an auto-bid. My solution: just win every game here on out and we should be good.
                              NMU '10

Comment

Originally posted by sisu458 View Post
                                as others have voiced, a sweep of BGSU is a must. Beyond that, I think NMU will need at least one win in the second round to put themselves in position for an auto-bid. My solution: just win every game here on out and we should be good.
                                Auto bids only go to the championship tourney winners in the conferences. The other 11 are at large bids. The way I see things, if NMU can sweep Bowling Green, it will still take at least one second round win to get them to the tourney. If it takes them three games to beat BG, then they probably need to at least get to the Joe.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X