2011-2012 Dartmouth Big Green

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr. Seuss Fan View Post
    The Big Green came out ahead of Providence this afternoon at Fenway Park by one goal, with a 3-2 final. Camille Dumais with the game winner!
    What was the attendance like?
    ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Re: 2011-2012 Dartmouth Big Green

Originally posted by Cali View Post
      What was the attendance like?
      The box score lists it as 641.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Now the box score lists 1305, which corresponds to what it looked like in person. They had two sections in the grandstand open (29 and 30) and the boxes below. I thought Dartmouth contingent was larger. Personally, I had great fun at this -- thank you, Hockey East and the organizers of Frozen Fenway for including this game on the schedule!
        Dartmouth College: NCAAs 1948 1949 1960 1979 1980
        University of Massachusetts: NCAAs 2007, ECAC Div. II Champs 1972

"When in doubt, use brute force." -- Ken Thompson

Comment

1305? I've never ben good at eyeballing crowds so I'm not sure, Dartmouth by far had more supporters, though PC had a good amount too, at least right where I was.

Dartmouth definitely deserved to win that with their play in the 2nd and 3rd. And if not for a VERY unlucky bounce in the first this wouldn't have been close. I'm feeling a little (read very little) better about our loss to you guys up there.

Always had a soft spot for the Big Green for a few reasons, but I loved their jerseys today.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullmoose View Post
            Now the box score lists 1305, which corresponds to what it looked like in person. They had two sections in the grandstand open (29 and 30) and the boxes below. I thought Dartmouth contingent was larger. Personally, I had great fun at this -- thank you, Hockey East and the organizers of Frozen Fenway for including this game on the schedule!
            I agree, and thanks also to Mother Nature and the ice crew at Fenway. The ice looked better than it did on Saturday for the men's games, and it was comfortable enough in both games to enjoy the outing without succumbing to a $7.00 hot chocolate or holing up in the sauna-like restrooms.

It's interesting to watch as the teams adjust to the unfamiliar ice conditions. The play is slower and the puck is subject to whatever bumps and irregularities are present much more so than at a pampered indoor rink. There is a learning curve, and by the middle of the game, both teams were much more effective.

I thought the Dartmouth crowd was bigger too, but their usual attendance numbers make that no surprise.
            Last edited by DC78-82; 01-11-2012, 11:29 AM.
            "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
              I thought the Dartmouth crowd was bigger too, but their usual attendance numbers make that no surprise.
              Green just blends in better at Fenway. It could also be an optical illusion as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                Green just blends in better at Fenway. It could also be an optical illusion as a result.
                Think NOT, Doctor. Think not.
                While I didn't attend (and applaud all who did for whichever side they cheered; AND applaud Hockey East) I am sure from above reliable reports D. was strongly represented, assume-know they usually are in ice hockey and, in fact, elsewhere.
                A-ha!
                Last edited by papulaisle; 01-11-2012, 07:46 PM. Reason: made a mis...made a mist-a... erred

Comment

After one period, score is Dartmouth-1, RPI -1. Shots D 8-RPI-3. Darty goal given to Erica Dobos, but may have been tallied by Kelly Foley, as further scrutiny by the Officials will determine!

Comment

at 2:55 into the third period. Reagan Fischer tallies the 3rd goal for Dartmouth. RPI still at 1. Shots 28-10 at this point in favor of Dartmouth.

Comment

Dart. playing Raiders tonight and Cornell tomorrow at 4PM. Is, "Pioneers In Women's Ice Hockey", weekend for the Green. Celebrating players from the very first teams (first ten years, I believe.) Absolutely marvelous article- "First Ladies", about those early beginnings Is in the Valley News (today) by Tris Wykes. Very funny. Bravo, Tris- Bravo, First Ladies, mostly on figure skates at early practices at Davis Rink (one hour a week.) Read the article; probably some copies still available at Dan and Whit's...

Comment

Going to overtime. Yikes. Hope it is a great turnout for the "Pioneers in Women's Ice Hockey" festivities. Our D is there for sure. (Back to the game...)

Comment

Dartmouth wins in OT - 4-3, with Reagan Fischer scoring the GWG. Audio was poor at best so don't know who had the assist(s).

Comment

Dr. Seuss Fan- All: I was there for last night's game. Jaw dropping. Goal came at the very close of overtime. Green was some out played in the first period but was the better team from then on out. Maybe even during overtime. Early in the game, we all thought we had a goal as after a flurry at goalmouth, scoreboard put one up for Dartmouth. There was no red light, however. Referee seemed to signal goal.

Anyway, it was taken down. Cornell is always dangerous these days with the bounteous flow of seeming 'ringers' (now) year in, year out. They are, as well, the Ivy closest to Canada and in Ontario where I go, the one most known. They are a BIG school in comparison to Dartmouth- maybe three or four times the enrollment (I see 14,000 undergraduates...) Many, many scholarships, therefore. Many. Wonder if it is Ken Dryden.

But we skated beyond their reach for much of the game and there were so many close ones at the Cornell goal mouth. They had had a long week with three away games and did at times seem winded. I yelled. Loud!

I also went over and greeted the women 'Pioneers' (wonderful players for Dartmouth during the first ten years of the program- 1974-1984, etc.) They sat across the way having what looked like a marvelous time. They were introduced between periods. Bravo to them! Also a great article about them in the Friday Valley News. Very funny- first year practiced one hour a week at the old Davis Rink and had two games- one, Hanover High school girls, the other a 17-0 loss. One woman quoted as saying in some games they never got the puck out of their own end! Women mostly on figure skates and borrowed/ersatz equipment to start.
                            Last edited by papulaisle; 01-23-2012, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Wonderful, AMAZING, 2011-2012 Dartmouth Big Green Women's Ice Hockey Team!

One hand car (at times) pumping hard here- for Green!

Someone said Kelly and Reagan Dartmouth's perhaps best players. They are truly noteworthy! I would also currently include Sasha in the top group especially for her non-stop effort against Kenny Dryden's upstate apple knockers. Works as hard as anyone save maybe Jenna Hobieka, out there. They all work hard for that matter! I did on an earlier occasion witness Jenna's holding power,say- backing down the entire Cornell Big Red team...which as a spectator, got me (back) to my feet!

Bravo, Green. You always win my heart.
                              Saturday was no exception!

Comment

Dartmouths in town again, la la la...
                                Dartmouths in town again, LA LA LA
                                LA La- La La La La, La La- La La La La,
                                La La la la la laaaaaaa

OK to SING along!
                                Last edited by papulaisle; 02-18-2012, 05:43 PM. Reason: Short, La's...

Comment

Working...
                                X