Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Concussions

Originally posted by granddaddyscout View Post
    Surprisingly I had a conversation with a Neurosurgeon with extensive expertise on concussions and he indicated that there actually is no conclusive evidence that mouth guards help to protect against concussions. He felt that is was marginal at best. He further pointed out that one of the biggest issues in sports related concussions is fit and positioning. How many times do you see a player with their helmet pushed back or so loose it almost flops around. To be honest I have always thought mouth guards were a critical element in the concussion debate, until he made these comments.
    we are in the early stages and there are going to be a lot of falsehoods, like the poster that said there was a link between Alzheimers and concucussions

Comment

A reporter for WCCO-TV in Minneapolis talked about his own road to recovery after suffering a concussion.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/0...sion-recovery/
      Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
      Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
      Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Mr. Schoolboy Socks weighs in on concussions. Don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Maybe he should stick to politics but it seems he can't avoid a photo op...never met a camera he didn't like. What was he doing there in the first place?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...bate-1.3511509

Comment

more interesting and important than the above two fluff articles:
          http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...ails-1.3510466

"Bettman then expresses doubt over whether the NHL Players' Association would consent to eliminating fighting and, with it, the enforcer's role.

"I believe the fighting and possible concussions could aggravate a condition, but if you think about the tragedies there were probably certain predispositions," the commissioner writes. "Again, though, the bigger issue is whether the [Players' Association] would consent to in effect eliminate a certain type of 'role' and player. And, if they don't, we might try to do it anyway and take the 'fight' (pun intended)."

Shanahan replies, "I thought [the players'] current position on illegal checks to the head is that it should encompass ALL contact. If we keep this simply about concussion and brain injuries then how can they argue against it."

Comment

Did anyone see the ESPN 30 for 30, on ABC this past weekend on the 85 Bears? They had a good 10 minutes on Jim McMahon and his situation...where now the doctors are looking at his C-1 thru C-5 cervical column and the neck to see what his "concussive" symptoms were caused by...and they found the spinal column had been pinching off the spinal fluid and other cerebral fluids from exiting his brain, which caused a build up of toxins, creating his problem....while not totally relieved, the Rx is much better.....point being that the concussion issue has to be extended to include the neck and cervical vertebrae.....

Comment

Another chapter...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/concus...ated-1.3833158

Comment

CFL Commissioner sidesteps the issue...but notice his steepling posture...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/c...ions-1.3869191

Comment

FYI:

http://www.collegeathleteconcussionsettlement.com/

Under proposed settlement, "The NCAA has also agreed to change its policies and procedures for concussion management and return to play."
                  Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 01-12-2017, 12:43 PM.

Comment

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/chewi...yers-1.3988111

Comment

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/99-per...-cte-1.4221072

Comment

Although I agree that concussions are a critical issue that needs way more study, this study was biased as outlined in the article itself:

"The researchers noted that the study had limitations including that the subjects' brains were donated by their families, and that families were more likely to opt into the study if the players had showed symptoms of CTE."

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                          Although I agree that concussions are a critical issue that needs way more study, this study was biased as outlined in the article itself:

"The researchers noted that the study had limitations including that the subjects' brains were donated by their families, and that families were more likely to opt into the study if the players had showed symptoms of CTE."
                          Sure, the study is biased - but recognize that some portion of the donated brains were from players who did not exhibit significant symptoms of CTE.

Setting that aside, let's say that the real number is 25% rather than 99%. Does that make anyone feel dramatically better? That a quarter of players are going to be cognitively impacted by playing? 10%? What's your threshold for concern?

There is no doubt in my mind that based on the overwhelming evidence that football as a school sport should be stopped (and hockey may not be far behind for women in particular). What message does it send that schools support activities that are known to cause long term negative cognitive impacts? Certainly not one that can be justified if schools are really academic institutions.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                            Sure, the study is biased - but recognize that some portion of the donated brains were from players who did not exhibit significant symptoms of CTE.

Setting that aside, let's say that the real number is 25% rather than 99%. Does that make anyone feel dramatically better? That a quarter of players are going to be cognitively impacted by playing? 10%? What's your threshold for concern?

There is no doubt in my mind that based on the overwhelming evidence that football as a school sport should be stopped (and hockey may not be far behind for women in particular). What message does it send that schools support activities that are known to cause long term negative cognitive impacts? Certainly not one that can be justified if schools are really academic institutions.

Certainly not undermining the importance of the study, quite the opposite. I firmly believe that not enough is being done to measure the impact / probability of concussions. There is a proven scientific way of doing peer reviewed research. Unfortunately there is no clear way to make money on this and our governments (I'm Canadian) don't see this as important enough....yet. Let's get a few good lawsuits going and then everyone will "recognize the right thing to do".

I have 2 daughters, one plays D3 hockey the other plays recreationally, not sure what the threshold is. I'm just glad that I don't have a son and that I don't have to decide whether he plays football or not. Not sure I would ever let him play......

I also believe that there are things we can do to make sports safer in general. In hockey for instance, lets get rid of the hard caps on elbow pads and shoulder pads. When I played it hurt to hit someone, so you were more careful and bodychecking/hitting was reserved for separating the player from the puck....not from his body.
                            I wish we had more answers, I'm just not sure that having a very biased study out there will help convert the masses, too much of an easy out for the average mom and pop. The diehards on either side of the discussion will always be there. It's not until we get moms (and dads) voting with their recreational choices that any major changes will happen.

Comment

One thing that might help is to put padding on the outside of helmets as well as the inside. The way they are designed now, when two helmets collide, the entire head/helmet combination comes to an abrupt stop, and the internal padding is trying to keep the head from decelerating at the same rate that the helmet does. External padding would reduce the entire structure's deceleration rate.

I suspect that women's hockey has a significantly lower CTE rate than football or men's hockey, though there's a lot of research to be done before anyone could be sure of this. The concussion rate is worryingly high, but there's evidence that the main culprit in CTE is not the infrequent concussions, but rather the sub-concussive jolts that occur on every play in football, especially to linemen. There's a limit to how reassuring this should be even if true, since concussions have long term consequences separate from CTE.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                                One thing that might help is to put padding on the outside of helmets as well as the inside. The way they are designed now, when two helmets collide, the entire head/helmet combination comes to an abrupt stop, and the internal padding is trying to keep the head from decelerating at the same rate that the helmet does. External padding would reduce the entire structure's deceleration rate.

I suspect that women's hockey has a significantly lower CTE rate than football or men's hockey, though there's a lot of research to be done before anyone could be sure of this. The concussion rate is worryingly high, but there's evidence that the main culprit in CTE is not the infrequent concussions, but rather the sub-concussive jolts that occur on every play in football, especially to linemen. There's a limit to how reassuring this should be even if true, since concussions have long term consequences separate from CTE.
                                Studies show a distinct genetic component

Comment

Working...
                                X